Contribute
Register

My Hackintosh build

Status
Not open for further replies.
jimx86 said:
Man it feels great when you know you basically have the best that money can buy and that you have the highest quality products too, not some kind of generic trash Dell would package. I almost wish that companies would start selling mobile motherboards/laptop cases so people can build their own laptops. :)
No need for that...
Apple already manufactures the best laptops money can buy. ;)

When I can get a little more money, I plan on getting this case: http://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servlet/Co ... 208780762#
It has much more room than my current case and it's a Cooler Master case which are good quality cases. Plus, I like that it's a special NVIDIA edition case. It's pretty cool looking.

pcmantinker said:
When I can get a little more money, I plan on getting this case: http://store.nvidia.com/DRHM/servlet/Co ... 208780762#
It has much more room than my current case and it's a Cooler Master case which are good quality cases. Plus, I like that it's a special NVIDIA edition case. It's pretty cool looking.

Haha that looks pretty cool, but keep in mind that "special edition" cases always cost more than they're supposed to. This case's build and performance is similar to the Cooler Master Centurion 5, but it lacks 1 front fan, so keep that in mind (you'll only have 1 back fan, which is a bit below average for modern builds).

Edit: a front 120mm fan is optional, but I would recommend purchasing it as fans are pretty cheap these days and that would provide 1 intake for the case.

Today my Hyper 212 Plus came in today. I put in a spare motherboard I had and tested the spacing. The Hyper 212 Plus will not fit with the motherboard and back mounting bracket in the Gigabyte case I bought. I decided to get this case as a replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129084
Space will not be an issue with this case and it has free shipping. :) It has nearly 5 more inches in length than my Gigabyte case. The width is about an inch wider too. I wish that I would have just gotten this to begin with. lol My original case plus shipping was about the price of this case. Oh well... you live and learn. With future builds I won't buy a cheap case. :p Tomorrow I will order the remaining parts for my build and should have the parts by early next week.

EDIT: Just ordered the MSI P55 GD65/i7 875K combo, Antec Two Hundred V2 case, and a second Ethernet cable for the dual gigabit network ports on the MSI P55 GD65. I won't be able to benefit from dual gigabit at home, but when I go back to school, I'll definitely see a difference in connection speed.

Today my Hyper 212 Plus came in today. I put in a spare motherboard I had and tested the spacing. The Hyper 212 Plus will not fit with the motherboard and back mounting bracket in the Gigabyte case I bought. I decided to get this case as a replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129084

Sorry to hear that.. but the Antec 200 should be fine (I know the fan fits in a Centurion 5 with 7.95" width, your Antec has 7.9" width).

Space will not be an issue with this case and it has free shipping. :) It has nearly 5 more inches in length than my Gigabyte case. The width is about an inch wider too. I wish that I would have just gotten this to begin with. lol My original case plus shipping was about the price of this case. Oh well... you live and learn. With future builds I won't buy a cheap case. :p Tomorrow I will order the remaining parts for my build and should have the parts by early next week.

Haha, yeah a lot of people like cheaping on the case, but that's a bad idea (especially if you're planning on upgrading in the future!).

EDIT: Just ordered the MSI P55 GD65/i7 875K combo, Antec Two Hundred V2 case, and a second Ethernet cable for the dual gigabit network ports on the MSI P55 GD65. I won't be able to benefit from dual gigabit at home, but when I go back to school, I'll definitely see a difference in connection speed.

Sweet! The 875K is my CPU, too! I'm installing it tomorrow. I never realized the effectivity of dual gigabit, I tried something similar on one of my computers (1 plugged in ethernet + 1 wi-fi connection), the computer just took the faster connection and ignored the wi-fi.

Lnx2Mac said:
jimx86 said:
I don't know about the performance benefits of the Spinpoint, but a lot of people recommend it.
Great performance/noise ratio...

Sounds like a "green drive", performs like a "real" one ;)

You should know that this post got me to decide on the Spinpoint F3. Thanks!

Tom

Lnx2Mac said:
pcmantinker said:
One thing that I'm concerned about is space. I have a mid tower case with a top mounted PSU and as I was starting to piece my machine together, I noticed that space is limited and I have to conservatively fit everything just right. My PSU's cables are bulky and they rest up against the back of my Blu-Ray drive, which shouldn't be a problem, but it's a bit cramped. I saw that the Hyper 212 Plus is a relativley large cooler. I think that the way the motherboard mounts, it should allow me to sit the Hyper 212 Plus on the i7 875K just fine, but I want to make sure that it won't be too large before I buy it.
pcmantinker,
The 212Plus is indeed smaller than the Mugen-2.
My Antec Designer is a relatively small mid-tower...

Don't think you'll have size issues with the 212plus in your case... as long as it's not a 'slim' (narrow) case.

See my build here:

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

I see you repainted that room! Nice color!

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
tonymacx86 said:
jimx86 said:
Of course you don't want the case open all the time, especially if you have kids coming over :mrgreen:

Or if you have cats...

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d8bee970b-pi

pc_kitty.jpg

You have cats? Those are really cute kittens! <side>Our cat is that funny, but wouldn't be able to fit...</side>

Tom

Finished building my computer last night! Other than a strange problem with the power switch in my case not being able to power on my computer, everything runs smoothly and fits nicely in the Antec 200. There's plenty of space for everything including my Hyper 212 Plus.

I tested turning on my computer with a different switch and it turned on without a problem. I am going to replace the switch after work with one from another case. The reset button does the same thing, but I am not even going to bother with fixing the reset button since I'll never use it.

I still have to install Snow Leopard on the computer later today after work, but Windows 7 installed in 15 minutes! I'll post back later when I get a chance to install Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back