Motherboard
Custom Desktop
CPU
Intel i5 6600K
Graphics
ZOTAC GTX 1050 Ti OC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm building a new PC this summer, although, my video card won't be supported until the next Mac Pro is released. Hopefully it won't be too long. Here are my specs:

• Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • SAMSUNG Black SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - OEM[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard SLI [/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • Intel Core i7 930 Processor 2.80GHz[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card [/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650M 650W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 Modular Active PFC Power Supply[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
  • GIGABYTE gz-ph2a3 Black SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case[/*:m:zqo0yrmx]
I've got an old 5200 GX which I could use to install Snow Leopard from if the retail installer will not boot on the GTX 470. I've also heard of people getting VESA mode working with the GTX 470 which would be fine for right now. I had an 8600GT too, but I don't know if it was fried because one day it wouldn't display anything on my screen. I'll give that a try as well.

I know that it can't be too long before OSX has Fermi support as I've read that NVIDIA designed the 400 series to be run with Directx 11 and Open GL 4.0. I'm mainly concerned about my Windows 7 build, but I will be waiting for Fermi support in OSX.

EDIT: After doing some research on the 8600GT, I found that the reason it stopped working was due to bad capacitors of the FZ brand. Please be note if your hardware (motherboard/video card) has the FZ brand of capacitors, you might consider getting them replaced with better capacitors. I only had my card for just under 2 years and the capacitors from FZ popped, rendering the card unusable. I will see if I can do the capacitor replacement myself and whether that fixes my card.

I guess like all other people on this forum I'll start by recommending the G.Skill Eco Series RAM at 1600 MHz which operates at 1.23 1.35 volts, saving you both electricity cash and gives the RAM a longer lifespan. It also lowers the RAM's heat output, so your build will run cooler.

You will definitely get headaches with your GTX 470... It's your choice as to whether or not you want it that bad. I would suggest the GTX 260 as a good alternative that works with a simple tweak. Also, I don't think Apple will be releasing Fermi support for a while.. maybe not even until next year.

Your Thermaltake power supply is ok, but I would definitely recommend a higher quality for that graphics card. Anything from Seasonic, Antec, and Corsair, are good. All other brands are really just cheapo products (especially for your high-end system).

By the way, this is supposed to be in the "Buying Advice" forum :cool:

Ah, yeah, I realized this should have been in the buying advice forum after I posted it. :p I've already purchased the GTX 470 and it came with the Thermaltake PSU in a combo deal so I took to guess it was suitable for running the GTX 470. I also did a wattage calculator and figured out that I wouldn't need much more than 500 watts max. I don't see myself doing major overclocking or SLI for a while.

On graphics card compatibility, I will hopefully be able to repair my 8600GT and then I can use that in Snow Leopard until Fermi support becomes available. I'm fine with a little graphics performance drop in Snow Leopard for the time being. Plus, it would be much better to use an 8600GT over an 5200 GX. I'll try using the 8600GT as a dedicated PhysX card in Windows, although, I probably won't really need the 8600GT to do PhysX with the GTX 470. Time will tell on how things turn out. I'll keep the thread updated as progress advances.

If your 8600 GT doesn't work, your best bet would be to go on Craigslist and find the cheapest 8/9 series NVidia graphics card. You can get it for like $40. And that should work until Apple releases fermi support.

pcmantinker said:
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

• Get a Spinpoint F3 instead... much better drive !

pcmantinker said:
    [/*:m:4bav8xmu][*]A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G
    [/*:m:4bav8xmu]
I think these have no XMP profile, and are high latency.
Unless you are on a very tight budget, and $10 make a difference, I would stick to G.Skill Eco 1600@CL7, which are low-profile (enabling use of huge coolers).

Also, you haven't specified which HSF are you getting... I hope you are not planning to use the stock cooler... or, you don't mind the noise ?

jimx86 said:
the G.Skill Eco Series RAM at 1600 MHz which operates at 1.23 volts, saving you both electricity cash and gives the RAM a longer lifespan.
Jim, these operate at 1.35V, not 1.23V...
And the real savings are not in electricity cash (about 6W/h :D, nothing dramatic IMO), but in heat produced (it runs at around 30C... about 4C degrees cooler than similarly timed RipJaws @ 1.65V)...

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac said:
And the real savings are not in electricity cash (about 6W/h :D, nothing dramatic IMO), but in heat produced (it runs at around 30C... about 4C degrees cooler than similarly timed RipJaws @ 1.65V)...

Haha.. So I learn something new every day, it's great to be around people who all have the same interests as you, and sorry about the voltage error, I think I was in a hurry to type it and made a typo :eek: .

Edit: There! Fixed it!

jimx86 said:
Lnx2Mac said:

Haha.. So I learn something new every day, it's great to be around people who all have the same interests as you, and sorry about the voltage error, I think I was in a hurry to type it and made a typo :eek: .
Yeah, Birds of a Feather flock together...
BTW, if you are interested, there's a great review in http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html

jimx86 said:
Edit: There! Fixed it!
:D
[OT] This reminds me of http://thereifixedit.com/ some of the stuff there is absolutely brilliantly hilarious.
Be careful, it might be addictive ;)

Lnx2Mac said:
Yeah, Birds of a Feather flock together...
BTW, if you are interested, there's a great review in http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha ... eview.html

Haha yeah, hardware canucks has everything, it's really in detail, too. Gosh now I'm urged to replace my ripjaws with those ecos... oh well, I can't tell any noticeable difference.

Lnx2Mac said:
:D
[OT] This reminds me of http://thereifixedit.com/ some of the stuff there is absolutely brilliantly hilarious.
Be careful, it might be addictive ;)

Wow, that site is like http://failblog.org/

Lnx2Mac said:
pcmantinker said:
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

• Get a Spinpoint F3 instead... much better drive !

pcmantinker said:
    [/*:m:3uh2o18a][*]A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G
    [/*:m:3uh2o18a]
I think these have no XMP profile, and are high latency.
Unless you are on a very tight budget, and $10 make a difference, I would stick to G.Skill Eco 1600@CL7, which are low-profile (enabling use of huge coolers).

Also, you haven't specified which HSF are you getting... I hope you are not planning to use the stock cooler... or, you don't mind the noise ?

jimx86 said:
the G.Skill Eco Series RAM at 1600 MHz which operates at 1.23 volts, saving you both electricity cash and gives the RAM a longer lifespan.
Jim, these operate at 1.35V, not 1.23V...

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac
Thanks for the tips. How much of a speed difference will I notice running a 6.0Gb/s hard drive vs. a 3.0Gb/s hard drive? If it's not too much of a difference, I'd rather save my money and get a 3.0Gb/s hard drive. I know SATA III is still very new and only recent motherboards support it. Also, sadly I've already purchased my RAM. It was recommended by reviewers on Newegg for gaming and I wanted to save $20 overall on RAM. I'm building on a somewhat tight budget of under $1300.

Also, just so I'm clear on what's been purchased already, I have purchased my RAM, graphics card, PSU, and case. I still have yet to buy the CPU, motherboard, and hard drive. If you have any suggestions on improvements for the CPU, motherboard, and hard drive, please let me know. I appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back