Corsair H100i AIO Cooler
Corsair HX850i PSU
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD
OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD
WD 1TB HDD
XFX Radeon R9 390X DD Edition GPU
Iiyama X4071UHSU 40" UHD (4k) Display

Build Plan
Since I will be using OS X on a majority basis with the occasional boot into Windows to play games, I will be putting OS X on the 240GB Drive, Windows 10 on the 128GB Drive and will format the HDD to exfat so it can be used by both OS.

Potential Problems
I understand I might run into issues with the R9 390X so if anyone has had any success running XFX R9 390X in El Capitan please let me know of any specific changes you made to the default install guide in order to get it working.

Based on everything else I have read, I shouldn't face any other issues with the build.

Questions
1. If I cannot get the R9 390X to work, is it possible to fall back to the Intel Graphics and leave the R9 390X plugged in to the motherboard so I can use it when I boot to windows?

2. Will the Intel 530 Graphics be sufficient to drive a 4k display for non-gaming use? Most of my day to day use will be web based research (for my job), some development work in XCode & Sublime Text, some Audio processing (for my podcast) and eventually some video processing in 4k once I start to record my video channel (if necessary I can get another card for the 4k processing if the R9 390X won't work so it is not a huge priority to get it working well with Intel 530 just a nice to have fall back)?

I will update this thread and format it correctly once all the parts have arrived and I have commenced with the build.

Last edited:
will format the HDD to exfat so it can be used by both OS.

In my experience storing data on exFAT drives and sharing it between operating systems is a recipe for disaster.
exFAT is designed and optimised for USB flash drives and has very little resilience, the slightest error can result in the loss of your data. Multiple operating systems increases the risk of corruption. The longest I managed to keep it all together was about two weeks - YMMV.

In my experience storing data on exFAT drives and sharing it between operating systems is a recipe for disaster.
exFAT is designed and optimised for USB flash drives and has very little resilience, the slightest error can result in the loss of your data. Multiple operating systems increases the risk of corruption. The longest I managed to keep it all together was about two weeks - YMMV.
OK So I can just partition the other drive and go with NTFS for Windows, it is not a problem really since I run my own NextCloud server so I will be syncing work files across all systems via NextCloud anyway. But thanks for the heads up - this is exactly the type of feedback I value.

OK so I am having a few problems.

1. No Audio over Display Port - the only Audio I can get is via headphones or speakers plugged directly into the audio ports on the motherboard.

2. Still not able to get the R9 390X running, which is frustrating because there are a number of people who have reported success. Currently running on the Intel 530.

3. Cannot boot with dual monitors - I can use both DP and HDMI but I have to boot with just one of them plugged in then plug in the second after I have booted to the desktop.

4. Sleep results in a system hang (I have disabled it for now)

I had some issues with the Intel NIC but found a kext and installed it manually - and obviously it is working now since I am able to write this post.

Current GeekBench 4 Score: 16623

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back