1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have had success to date building Comet Lake Hackintosh.
Aorus Master Z490 / i9 10850 / RX 6800 XT - MacOS Ventura Success!! | tonymacx86.com

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master
CPU: i9 10850K
Graphics: Radeon RX 6800 XT
Memory 32GB

• System Bios updated to the latest
  • Checked and double checked BIOS Settings match guides
  • Onboard Intel Ethernet chip EEPROM programmed to match apple drivers
  • USB Ports Mapped
  • Using Open Core 0.9.4.
  • Guides for Opencore and
  • Comet lake config.plist basis
  • Ventura installed
  • CPU Friend and Friend Friend added and worked for a period.
Had (30 days ago) Geekbench Multicore in the high 7's to low 9's thousands.
It has dropped back to mid 3's with exceedingly bad subjective multitasking.
The system is almost unusable.

Cannot figure it out.

Went back to saved EFI folder from the successful first attempts and also booted the old backup drive with earlier versions of Ventura.
Low 3's in all cases.

Suspect Bios settings but cannot pin it down.
config.plist uploaded with randomised NVRAM settings
EFI loaded also

Help requested... :)

Attachments

• config.plist
    47 KB · Views: 26
  • EFI.zip
    28.6 MB · Views: 21
Alright @awolfend,

I will have a look at the EFI but I will suggest to you to try this first. Check your BIOS settings and make sure they are set to the following:

AHCI Mode
VT-d disabled
Above 4GB Decoding Enabled
CSM Disabled
TPM Disabled
Secure Boot disabled
UEFI Boot Mode

Make sure XMP Profile is enabled for the DDR4 memory but set to the highest speed your DDR4 can muster (minimum 2400Mhz) and test the system for improvements.

Meanwhile I will look into your EFI and report back.

@awolfend,

I think I can understand why your system wasn't working properly.

I saw you've really messed up the config.plist! Firstly, you shouldn't ever enable BOTH device properties and kexts for the ethernet LAN! It is EITHER enabling a kext for it OR enabling it via the device properties, but never both as otherwise it creates conflicts within the system.

Secondly, you had not enabled ANY of the ACPI settings with regards to the system serial management bus (SBUS-MCHC), missing SSDT-HPET and many more. That is likely the culprit of what's causing you those issues because the system is missing a handful of required settings.

Thirdly, the order of the kexts used. Lilu, Whatevergreen, VirtualSMC and AppleALC must be at the top of loading table.

Lastly your use of shikigva - it is no longer used for most Opencore builds so I have updated it for you using device properties and agdpmod=pikera instead.

So I have updated the EFI to the correct settings below for you based on ones working with my existing Z490 setups and disabled CPUFriend for the meantime for you to check. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.7 MB · Views: 21
Alright @awolfend try this one. I've made the corrections so it should work. I think the USBToolbox was unchecked and some info was missing for the DGPU.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.7 MB · Views: 30
@awolfend

Looks like you are using the prebuilt EFI from the OCAT. Anyways, your system won't need SSDT-SBUS-MCHC. AFAIK, the AppleSMBUSController should load without the SSDT for your system.

The HPET isn't required for newer systems that use XCPM. Instead of trying to fix HPET which is unnecessary for your system, you can simply disable it.

The headless framebuffer you are using is ok for your setup. There is no reason to use non-headless framebuffer as above EFI. As a matter of fact, it will cause boot delays and sometimes can crash your system when used with dGPU to drive a display.

The kext order you have right now is OK. As long as the independent kexts are injected first before their plugins kexts that rely on them, it's fine.

As for the problem you are having, idk which macOS you are running, but it sounds like an improper power management issue. Check which PlatformPlugin is loaded in IORegistryExplorer. It should be X86PlatformPlugin and not ACP_SMC_PlatformPlugin. However, this should been fixed by injecting SSDT-PLUG.

The EFI at the top of the thread is as close as I can replicate to the one that worked entirely on an initial ventura install about a month ago. I replaced the firmware on the Ethernet to use native apple intel drivers and that was the only real departure from Opencore Comet lake guides. Got multicore and subjective multitasking up to snuff with CPU Friend.

Three things occurred in the interim - Updated to Ventura 13.5.2 (22G91) (restored EFI afterwards) and my bios crashed requiring re-flash and re-install of hackingtosh settings and updated DGPU from 5700 XT to 6800 XT

Given the EFI folder is largely as it was a month ago when everything worked (cannot be 100% sure), I suspect BIOS or hardware changes as the problem.

Will follow other info supplied above.

BIOS: Grrrr.

There is a setting in GigaByte Late BIOS curiously called "Enhanced Multicore Performance". Not seen it mentioned that way in any documents but changing the setting from AUTO to ENABLED made a substantial difference. Geekbench Multicore from 3400 to 8400. Most EFI's kindly provided work more or less. The one attached seems clean and boots fast.

Keep in mind I mapped USB ports for my board so care with USB settings.

Attachments

• config.plist
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
  • EFI.zip
    28.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
@awolfend,

If you changed the DGPU then likely you also need to change the DGPU device-id - the RX6800 requires BF730000.

For the rest, see if adding RestrictEvents.kext helps with the multi core score (because it is supposed to improve Intel P & E core performance). Also try it with and without CPUFriend and see what results you get.

Back