Contribute
Register

Multibeast: "The installation failed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove fakesmc.kext, rebuild the cache, reinstall fakesmc.kext from mb 4.6

That will get you back to being able to install things.

I downloaded the latest fakesmc package from projectx website, installed those by hand (plugins in /s/l/e ) , removed all old plugins and fakesmc, copied new ones to /s/l/e, rebuild the cache and reboot. Things seems stable now.

Remove fakesmc.kext, rebuild the cache, reinstall fakesmc.kext from mb 4.6

That will get you back to being able to install things.

I downloaded the latest fakesmc package from projectx website, installed those by hand (plugins in /s/l/e ) , removed all old plugins and fakesmc, copied new ones to /s/l/e, rebuild the cache and reboot. Things seems stable now.

Thanks, but removing the FakeSMC.kext doesn't remove also the dependency issues with other kexts, but remove the SuperIOFamily.kext does.

Just what is the function of the SuperIOFamily.kext? Is it important? Why it's conflicting with the FakeSMC.kext, and seems like with any other kexts provided by Multibeast?

Edit: Even with the FakeSMC.kext from Multibeast, it doesn't show all the information in iStat Pro widget such as Processes. :(

Even with the FakeSMC.kext from Multibeast, it doesn't show all the information in iStat Pro widget such as Processes. :(

FakeSMC.kext doesn't provide the info to iStat, the plugins do - plugins like SuperIOFamily.kext. The problem is that when you install the plugins with Multibeast and it later tries to compile the kernelcache, the dependencies are broken and the compile fails. If you do everything else with Multibeast and then afterward obtain the plugins and manually install them, according to peterb, they should work.

FakeSMC.kext doesn't provide the info to iStat, the plugins do - plugins like SuperIOFamily.kext. The problem is that when you install the plugins with Multibeast and it later tries to compile the kernelcache, the dependencies are broken and the compile fails. If you do everything else with Multibeast and then afterward obtain the plugins and manually install them, according to peterb, they should work.

The problems brought up in this thread are caused by a couple of issues, all to do with the fact that when upgrading OSX and then subsequently using a new version of MB, MB does not clean up old versions or obsolete kext from previous installs.

There is a post by rabbit74 describing the various kext used by different versions of MB.

To be complete about resolving problems mentioned in this thread, this is what you need to do.
Remove any old obsolete kext plugins installed by previous versions of MB, SuperIOFamily.kext is one of them, see the post 'Updating FakeSMC [A Guide]' by rabbit74.

The second problem I experienced is that the FakeSMC.kext installed by MB 5.0.2 caused ML to complain when doing a cache update at the end of each install, resulting in an install failed message. This happened to me for every bit of software I tried to install after using MB to install FakeSMC.kext. I solved this issue by using the latest FakeSMC.kext from the projectx website

To solve the instability caused by obsolete/old kext , remove them. To solve the FakeSMC.kext to cause installation failed message, remove it. Removing the whole Extensions folder and then doing a reinstall as suggested earlier in the thread is a sledge hammer approach, but will work.
All of the offending kext can be found in /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E).
After this issue the command:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -all-loaded.
You can use this command as often as you like, so when you issue this command before removing the modules you'll see error messages from some of the offending kext modules.

What I did was to download the latest FakeSMC package ( compressed file that also includes all plugins ) from projectx website and installed the modules I needed.
Uncompress the file, use a tool like Kext Utility or kext Wizard to install the kext files you need. You don't need both Ratheon and Nvidia files for instance, use the one for the card you have
in your system. One important note, Do NOT use the Nvidia plugins when you have a native OSX supported Nvidia card, (GraphicsEnabler=No), they cause a KP ( NVClockX.kext) .

After install of the kext, run kextcache again to see if there are still errors ( the Kext install tool probably already ran a cache update, but it is good check that there are no conflicts left).

The plugins from projectx are to be installed in /S/L/E.
A tip use finder label option to give the kext files you are going to install a colour. This way you can easily find them back later when going through an other upgrade cycle.
After all this reboot and things should be ok.

My tips for MB improvements.
- add an option to remove obsolete kext/ leftovers from previous MB runs.
- Give all updated and added kext files (folders) a colour so that they can easily be identified when looking with finder in the /S/L/E folder.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

Try running:

sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

and see what pops up as causing an issue. Delete the offending kexts and then try multibeast :)

Wow, I have now spent 7 hours on this attempt to get ML installed (this doesn't include the first failed attempt) and the tip you gave is the ONLY thing that has allowed me to get a working OS. Thank you so much, I truly appreciate your help.

Peterb, thank you for your excelent post.

Nico

Try running:

and see what pops up as causing an issue. Delete the offending kexts and then try multibeast :)

woot! fixed my install. it seems that the old fakesmc.kext was causing the problem. i copied it to the desktop for safe keeping and then deleted it from s/l/e . i ran multibeast, this time checking the box for fakesmc.kext and the install completed.

i still don't have audio but at least i've got multibeast working. thanks!

I got this installationed failed error after trying to install USB legacy driver to would with the STUPID HighPoint Quad USB 3.0 card.

That's not the big problem. The BIG PROBLEM now is that my bluetooth is broken. Done reset SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, repair permission, tried using the kext somewhere in this forum. STILL HAVE THE BROKEN BLUETOOTH ICON!!!

I know it's not hardware because bluetooth works fine with a 10.7.5 start disk.

Have a Mac Pro (early 2008) with 10.8.2 with supplement update. Bluetooth broke after trying Multibeast 5.0.2

HELP!!! I have wasted 5 hours already trying to bring back bluetooth functionality with my current system. Don't really wish to reinstall everything. Anyway, to reinstall bluetooth extensions? Now, I'm getting the same installation failed error with ML supplement update.

HELP!!!

Try running:

i tried to delete the kext files and it said permission denied....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back