Contribute
Register

.:: Multi-Boot Tips & Tricks ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one who wants to install a linux distribution other than Ubuntu using RahebMan's guide, you need to install the GRUB boot-loader on the linux partition (ext3 or ext4) not the whole disk!

IMO that works with Ubuntu and its derivatives (e.g. Mint), too. My Mint has its GRUB in its partition and runs fine that way. :) :)

you also need to configure the boot-loader not to set any boot flag to the MBR or the linux partition.

Or remove the label using gparted from your swiss army linux rescue stick/CD --- that thing has saved my xxx many times!

Good...would you please give us a short guide what you did to get it work?

Check my guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...750g-mavericks-10-9-clover-install-guide.html

Please note that I use Clover here of course.
Also we have to replace the name of the Clover binary to bootmgfw.efi so that it can be read by the firmware. This means that the Windows boot file (bootmgfw.efi) had to be renamed to bootmgfw-orig.efi. Not sure how that relates to your HP's.

Also we have to replace the name of the Clover binary to bootmgfw.efi so that it can be read by the firmware. This means that the Windows boot file (bootmgfw.efi) had to be renamed to bootmgfw-orig.efi. Not sure how that relates to your HP's.

It is the same...

Check my guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...750g-mavericks-10-9-clover-install-guide.html

HP Laptop doesn't need to rename Clover to bootmgfw.efi. If system can't find EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi, it will run EFI/Boot/Bootx64.efi

I need to resize NTFS and HFS+ partitions on a GPT/hybrid MBR SSD. Any suggestion?

I need to resize NTFS and HFS+ partitions on a GPT/hybrid MBR SSD. Any suggestion?

HFS+: ONLY from the Mac (Disk Utilitity or terminal). Windows cannot handle HFS+ at all, and Linux can only shrink it.
NTFS is less critical, still the safest solution would be Windows.

If you have a spare disk at hand this would be the safest solution:
1 - In Linux: with gparted copy the partitions to that disk, leaving enough space after each partition you want to enlarge.
2 - Then, booting from Mac and from Windows resize the respective partition (probably, Linux does a good job enlarging NTFS as well).
3 - Check the contents (Finder, Windows Explorer, etc.) and structure of each partition (Disk utility, chkdsk, fsck, etc...)
4 - In Linux: with gparted copy the partitions to the disk where you want them to be. Up to this step you have nothing destroyed/overwritten yet.
5 - Still in Linux: in terminal use gdisk to make sure you have the hybrid GPT.

Without a spare disk you can use gparted in Linux to shuffle partitions. Even when booted from the same disk, all partititions but the active Linux system can be moved/resized, etc. (unmount swap if necessary).
To enlarge HFS+ have free space after this partition, but do the actual enlarging from within Mac OS.
Again, use gdisk (available for mac as well) for the hybrid MBR.

The MiniTool can't resize the HFS+ for me, that's very odd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back