Intel HD4000 + ATI 7650 2GB (Disabled)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I created this thread to share our ideas and experiences about multi-boot Hackbooks, focusing on related points and problems in multi booting and finding solutions for them, any help or suggestion is appreciated :)

System time synchronization between Windows and OS X: google for 'RealTimeIsUniversal registry windows'

Using RehabMan's guide I was able to build my triple-boot and the interesting point is that I can import windows as a boot camp to VMware or Parallel, so there is no need to switch between windows or mac. It works really smoothly.

Any one who wants to install a linux distribution other than Ubuntu using RahebMan's guide, you need to install the GRUB boot-loader on the linux partition (ext3 or ext4) not the whole disk! you also need to configure the boot-loader not to set any boot flag to the MBR or the linux partition. setting a boot flag would result in ruining the Chimera/Chameleon.
In this case you would be able to format/install/upgrade your OS(Win/Mac/Linux) independently. All you need to do is to boot into mac using your unibeast usb stick and reinstall the boot-loader.

People who use Paragon NTFS or Tuxera to gain write access to NTFS drives, be aware to exclude searching those drives through spotlight setting. For a wired reason spotlight would continuously index NTFS drives and result in shorter battery lifetime (for me disabling that option saved about 25min). Also I think it would have adverse effects on SSD disks' lifetime. :(

Linux:

To be able to repair or (re-)install GRUB into the Linux partition (or anywhere else if you feel lucky...) install Boot Repair. Get it via Terminal:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)
To edit GRUB options (e.g, no waiting for a timeout when booting into Linux) use Grub Customizer:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Clonezilla for space-saving backup snapshots of complete partitions or even whole disks. Warning: Might require gdisk repair of a hybrid MBR after a restore.

And, of course, gparted and gdisk are a must-have.

Best to have repair stick/CD with the above for emergencies.

To get Mac-like scrolling direction: Natural Scrolling.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zedtux/naturalscrolling && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install naturalscrolling

Windows:

Clink (http://code.google.com/p/clink/) brings bash commands to Windows, for a more unified experience and less annoyance on the command line. (No warranty, have yet to test it myself).

Don_Grappler & RahebMan, Thank you for your useful guides :)

As my triple-boot Hackbook is working smoothly, I'm planning to get the Fingerprint Reader work in Mac :D

Has anyone tried triple booting in UEFI mode?

Don_Grappler & RahebMan, Thank you for your useful guides :)

As my triple-boot Hackbook is working smoothly, I'm planning to get the Fingerprint Reader work in Mac :D

Has anyone tried triple booting in UEFI mode?

Me... but obviously I don't have a HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back