Contribute
Register

MSI GTX 970, M.2 SSD, and tri-booting Mac OS, Linux, and Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core
ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower
Zalman 550W ATX12V / EPS12V
Some cheap wireless 802.11n Wi-Fi solution

Regarding my intention of purchasing an unlocked processor without after market cooling, the total cost has come in (and remains) a few hundred over budget, and I have tried to cut the price where I can but leaving the important things alone. I removed after market cooling and reduced the PSU from 850W to 550W. This way I can just use the CPU as stock and then when I have some spare money at some point after Christmas I can start overclocking then. I was initially going for an 850W PSU as I may pick up a second card for SLI in the future I.

In the buying guide under graphics cards there is only one entry matching GTX 970. The entry is GeForce GTX 970 (4GB DDR5), and, when clicked in links to a listing on Amazon for EVGA NVIDIA GTX 970 Superclock Graphics Card with ACX 1.0 Cooling (4GB, PCI Express, 256 Bit). I also read on a post here when someone asked about a different GTX 970 that setting up their Hackintosh would be non-standard. How non-standard exactly, and does that apply to the MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V? From the research I have done this version seems best. Will it not work? Will it definitely work? If it is a choice between the MSI maybe working and the EVGA definitely working I will opt for the latter, although disappointed in the knowledge that the MSI is reportedly better.

The board in my build supports M.2, does Hackintosh? I could order an M.2 SSD instead of a regular one if that were the case but as above with the graphics cards, if it is a choice between an M.2 SSD maybe working, and regular SSD definitely working - I will opt for the latter!

Finally, what I am really hoping to do is tri-boot Mac OS, Ubuntu/Debian, and Windows. Is this something that can be done with a Hackintosh? I know many different operating systems can be installed on the same system when dealing with Linux distributions and Windows versions. I would like to know if things are different when the system is a Hackintosh?

Finally, I have tried to stick to the the buyers' guide as much as possible but please look over my proposed build, advise if it is compatible with Hackintosh, and even if there are other parts you would recommend I use instead, whether that be for compatibility reasons or value.

I am now also torn on the processor, i5-4690K versus i7-4790K. Is there a tangible difference for a hackintosh between the two? I have read several places that the only time people notice, now these people are most likely referring to Windows machines, is if video editing.

I like to play games, and I like to have several background processes running while gaming. I would like my computer to not be slow when I tab out to my desktop.

Can the extra £100 be justified on an i7-4790K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back