Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi, Iam new at this so please be patient with me. I learn fast and will read everything you advice me to read as many times as needed. So now that thats cleared I would like your help. Is the MSI GT72 6QD Dominator a good candidate for a hackintosh? It has the following components:

Intel i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz (Skylake)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
Killer wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless adapter

Thanks!

Hi, Iam new at this so please be patient with me. I learn fast and will read everything you advice me to read as many times as needed. So now that thats cleared I would like your help. Is the MSI GT72 6QD Dominator a good candidate for a hackintosh? It has the following components:

Intel i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz (Skylake)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
Killer wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless adapter

Thanks!

The WiFi is probably a no-go. Hopefully you can replace it.

Assuming the Nvidia is dedicated (not Optimus), you'll need to do some research on it. Maybe supported by OOB drivers, maybe not. Maybe supported by Nvidia web drivers...

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Keep in mind the guide is focused on Intel graphics laptops, so they use nv_disable=1 (to disable Nvidia on Optimus equipped models).

My Nvidia card is optimus. It has gpu switching.
I have also read that Skylake is not really recomended right now.

Do suggest I continue looking into it or maybe it´s better for me to wait a while until my current configuration has better support?

Full spec:

Model: GT72 Dominator-019
CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK 2.7 GHz - Skylake
Screen: 17.3 IPS - 1920*1080
Memory: 32Gb ddr4
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX970M - Dedicated Card
WLAN: Killer N1535 Combo (2 x 2 ac)
LAN: Killer Gaming Network E2400
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
Audio: Dynaudio Tech

Thanks!

My Nvidia card is optimus. It has gpu switching.
I have also read that Skylake is not really recomended right now.

Do suggest I continue looking into it or maybe it´s better for me to wait a while until my current configuration has better support?

Full spec:

Model: GT72 Dominator-019
CPU: Intel Core i7-6820HK 2.7 GHz - Skylake
Screen: 17.3 IPS - 1920*1080
Memory: 32Gb ddr4
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX970M - Dedicated Card
WLAN: Killer N1535 Combo (2 x 2 ac)
LAN: Killer Gaming Network E2400
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
Audio: Dynaudio Tech

Thanks!

You seem to contradict yourself. In one place you write "is optimus", but then you list specs without any Intel graphics and write "dedicated". If it is switching/Optimus then you have both Nvidia+Intel graphics and the Nvidia is not dedicated (it is switched).

But 10.11.4 adds better support for Skylake graphics (if in fact this laptop has Optimus and therefore Skylake integrated graphics).

Of course, you can't use Nvidia in the scenario that it is Optimus. You can read about that in the FAQ.

Yeah, i know. Iam a bit confused. this is an extract from a review of my notebook.

MSI has chosen to forego Optimus on the GT72, instead including a switch on the left of the system that toggles between the GTX 980M and the HD 4600. It’s less convenient in that you have to restart the notebook to enable/disable the GPU, and I suspect many users will mostly run with the GPU enabled and not worry about the increase in power use and heat (we’re talking about maybe 10-15W at idle and light loads) and the loss of battery life. If you need the battery life, however, the Intel graphics are always waiting in the wings. Perhaps more importantly for certain users, omitting Optimus means less latency for certain screen updates – this has apparently been a real concern for people testing and using the Oculus Rift and other VR headsets. The biggest drawback other than battery life is that you can't access Intel's Quick Sync without switching to the Processor Graphics.

Is has somekind of a manual Gpu Switch

Yeah, i know. Iam a bit confused. this is an extract from a review of my notebook.

Is has somekind of a manual Gpu Switch

It is like both devices are there, but only one enabled at a time. Switch acts much like a BIOS option would that enables one device/disables the other. But is easier to access since you don't have to go to BIOS setup each time to switch it.

So, if accurate, it is nothing like Optimus. In Optimus, both devices are active and the Nvidia is routed through the Intel device. All output devices are connected to Intel...

So... thats good news?

Hey, thanks for answering and all your help. I really apreciate it.

So... thats good news?

Hey, thanks for answering and all your help. I really apreciate it.

You'll find out when you get it.

Tengo un msi gt 72 gtx 980 M alguien me hecha una mano, al inicial hackington por Usb no carga Mac.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back