Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion: Optimized AppleHDA for Realtek ALC8xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, many thanks for making audio setup effortless. One question, is there a way to set up ACL892 for Audio ID:2 without DSDT? I don't intend to have 5ch speakers hooked up and want to simplify my sound output options.

is there a way to set up ACL892 for Audio ID:2 without DSDT?.
MultiBeast 5.5 or newer - Select/Drivers & Bootloaders/Drivers/Audio/Realtek ALC8xx/Without DSDT/Optional 3 Port Audio Enabler

Hello,

I'm having trouble understanding the optical output feature of this HDA.

Is there support for non-encoded plain stereo (2.0) optical SPDIF output? I can certainly do this on windows, and completely disable DD/DTS which I don't need or want.

Running 10.8.5 here and analog stereo output is working fine. But my stereo SPDIF audio interface tells me there is some connection from the optical output (and I can see the red light), but no audio can be heard. Again, this works perfectly fine on windows with bulk drivers.

Thanks.

The HDA customisation guide wasn't entirely clear about this either. I don't see optical SPDIF plain stereo output mentioned anywhere. I'm perfectly willing to hack this into submission by the way, just need some more info.

Is there support for non-encoded plain stereo (2.0) optical SPDIF output? I can certainly do this on windows, and completely disable DD/DTS which I don't need or want.
Yes. Select System Preferences/SoundOutput/Digital Output.

Yes. Select System Preferences/SoundOutput/Digital Output.

Thanks for verifying. It seems I have a problem elsewhere then.

I don't actually get any sound options using Multibeast 5.5.1 "with DSDT" installation. "without DSDT" does bring all the input/output options but there is no sound with optical SPDIF. Analog out works ok.

Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and Asus P6X58D-E (ALC889), clean install. No other issues on the system.

I don't actually get any sound options using Multibeast 5.5.1 "with DSDT" installation. "without DSDT" does bring all the input/output options but there is no sound with optical SPDIF. Analog out works ok.
If you use With DSDT, a dsdt with HDEF edits is required.
If analog works, Optical works. What application are you using?

If you use With DSDT, a dsdt with HDEF edits is required.
If analog works, Optical works. What application are you using?

I edited my DSDT and got that working as well. All the analog outputs from Sound Preferences work just fine and can be switched on the fly (listed as Internal Speakers, Line Out and another Line Out in System Preferences - Sound Output).

But no sound from Digital Out (Optical digital-out port). My digital audio interface doesn't even get a (digital audio sync) lock from the system at any point. I can see the red optical light from the cable so I know it's on at least. I've tested with Safari, Firefox and iTunes. All of these work fine with analog outs.

I actually tested all the three Audio ID/layout-id Table configurations and with all of them at least the Internal Speakers analog output option works.

What are my options?

Is there some way to force PCM audio through the optical interface? My audio interface only supports 2-channel PCM audio, all sample rates. If OSX mixes its audio on DD/DTS then my interface would not know what to do with it since it has no encoding at all.

But no sound from Digital Out (Optical digital-out port). My digital audio interface doesn't even get a (digital audio sync) lock from the system at any point. I can see the red optical light from the cable so I know it's on at least. I've tested with Safari, Firefox and iTunes. All of these work fine with analog outs.
For the second time, what application are you using?

For the second time, what application are you using?

I thought I mentioned that already. Safari, Firefox and iTunes, for example. Or VLC. Playing a youtube video on the browser (stereo). Or mp3 file anywhere whether a browser, iTunes or VLC (stereo).

I expect it should work just like windows, but no sound, or even digital sync lock on the interface. This happens with optical and coaxial digital output.

I should mention, the ALC889 has 8 analog outputs on the back panel on my motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E). I can only access 6 of them using this HDA. Doesn't seem like any of the three configurations quite match this particular motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back