Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My primary OS drive (Disk 1) is currently running Lion 10.7.4. I have a second drive (Disk 2) which is used as a backup and test drive. I have a nightly carbon copy cloner backup which copies the data from Disk 1 to Disk 2 as a backup bootable clone. They both have Chimera 1.9.2 r1394 installed.

I added an 8gb partition to Disk 2 to use as a Mountain Lion installer from my copy I purchased from the App Store. I used that installer to try installing Mountain Lion on Disk 2 and it worked. I'm able to boot from Disk 2 into Mountain Lion and all is well.

I have now attempted to install Mountain Lion onto Disk 1, my primary drive on which I do all my real work. When I run the Mountain Lion installer, however, I get the following message when I attempt to select Disk 1 for installation: "OS X cannot start up from this disk."

I have attempted the following techniques:
• Run the installer from a USB stick
• Disconnected all other SATA devices except Disk 1
• Plugged Disk 1 into different SATA ports, including that which was used by Disk 2
• Run verify disk permissions and verify disk from the Mountain Lion installer and had no problems
• I examined the disk information in Disk Utility from the Mountain Lion installer and both Disk 1 and Disk 2 are listed as bootable.

In the screenshots below, Disk 1 is Squirrel (SCSI-0: P0-Hitachi HDS721010CL) and Disk 2 is Lemur (Ch4 M.: WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0).

I haven't been able to think of any other useful information. It's so strange that Disk 2 is a clone of Disk 1 and it's able to boot!

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting? Thanks!

Attachments

• os x cannot start up from this disk.jpg
    os x cannot start up from this disk.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 395
  • disk-1-squirrel-info.jpg
    disk-1-squirrel-info.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 144
  • disk-2-lemur-info.jpg
    disk-2-lemur-info.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 207
  • bios-disks.jpg
    bios-disks.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 695
Is disk 1 a MBR partition?

I am trying to upgrade my Lion system to ML and have the same issue. I can directly boot into Lion from Chimera or to the USB with no problems. GA-Z77-DS3H -- Hitachi 320 GB HD. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jack

I was unable to solve the problem directly and ended up successfully installing Mountain Lion to a different drive.

I installed a fresh copy of Mountain Lion on a new disk then used the Migration Assistant during the Mountain Lion Installer to copy my data from my Lion disk.

Everything seems to be working so far.

One disadvantage of the disk migration method of upgrading to ML that I just noticed, is that your previous Time Machine backup will not recognize your old backups as being part of the system, even if the disk name is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back