Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion HDMI Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

It seems I have the same setup & situation as helmutjott, I have repeated the steps outlined in this thread over and over with the same results...audio out on one hdmi port.

Ioreg shows display capabilities as dp as 0x1 & hdmi as 0x1. Dvi has audio with a dvi to hdmi adapter. I have included oreg & dsdt in the attachment.

Attachments

• Caretaker.zip
    430.5 KB · Views: 86
Ioreg shows display capabilities as dp as 0x1 & hdmi as 0x1. Dvi has audio with a dvi to hdmi adapter. I have included oreg & dsdt in the attachment.
The edits to Capri and AppleHDA look correct. The IOReg shows one non HDMI device attached to a DP connector in the framebuffer; result, no HDMI audio. HD3000/HD4000 does not support HDMI audio on a DVI connector. Reply with an IOReg of 2 HDMI devices connected to the motherboard HDMI connectors and no device connect to the DVI port.

The edits to Capri and AppleHDA look correct. The IOReg shows one non HDMI device attached to a DP connector in the framebuffer; result, no HDMI audio. HD3000/HD4000 does not support HDMI audio on a DVI connector. Reply with an IOReg of 2 HDMI devices connected to the motherboard HDMI connectors and no device connect to the DVI port.

Thank you for your reply, I do not have 2 devices to connect at this time, I have been switching the hdmi ports to test...possible reason for no audio?. When I connect my tv to the first port, it shows hdmi audio, the same occurs when I connect to the tv with the dvi to hdmi adapter but no audio when I connect the second hdmi port.

When I installed ML, it was connected to the port with no audio, when it was switched to other hdmi port audio was present but no audio when switched back. After many attempts of starting from scratch I connected to the dvi port with the adapter and audio was present after choosing the the hdmi output in System Preferences. ??

if this will help I have attached an ioreg with the adapter connected to the dvi port, the first ioreg was with the non audio hdmi port.

Attachments

• caretaker_dvitohdmi_ioreg.zip
    424.1 KB · Views: 88
if this will help I have attached an ioreg with the adapter connected to the dvi port, the first ioreg was with the non audio hdmi port.
This IOReg shows one HDMI device connected to the HDMI port 0x05. I believe your DVI is port 0x06 and the other HDMI is port 0x07.

This IOReg shows one HDMI device connected to the HDMI port 0x05. I believe your DVI is port 0x06 and the other HDMI is port 0x07.

thank you, what would you recommend?. Is there a way to get audio with it on port 7(maybe just a limitation, Audio ID: 3 for 3/5/6 port onboard audio) or a way to switch the ports?...the framebuffer edit . I am an absolute newbie at this, any suggestions would be appreciated. I can attach another ioreg with connection to the working hdmi if necessary.

thank you, what would you recommend?. Is there a way to get audio with it on port 7(maybe just a limitation, Audio ID: 3 for 3/5/6 port onboard audio) or a way to switch the ports?...the framebuffer edit . I am an absolute newbie at this, any suggestions would be appreciated. I can attach another ioreg with connection to the working hdmi if necessary.
Port 7 is the original HDMI connector and supports HDMI audio with no framebuffer or audio kext edits (dsdt edits are always required). If it is not working, it was broken in the edit. Also, HDMI devices must be present at boot, hot plugging will not enable HDMI audio. To summarize, if you have one TV, boot 3 times with the TV in each port and make an IOReg after each boot and check for HDMI audio in SysPrefs. Reply with results.

Port 7 is the original HDMI connector and supports HDMI audio with no framebuffer or audio kext edits (dsdt edits are always required). If it is not working, it was broken in the edit. Also, HDMI devices must be present at boot, hot plugging will not enable HDMI audio. To summarize, if you have one TV, boot 3 times with the TV in each port and make an IOReg after each boot and check for HDMI audio in SysPrefs. Reply with results.

I was mistaken, port 7 hdmi appears to be the working one...providing I am reading the ioreg right. I was actually rebooting when I switched the ports (old habit), but I once again did as you asked, with the original mb kexts installed port 7 hdmi was the only working audio, the dvi port appeared to allocated to port 5, leaving the non audio hdmi on 6. With the edited kexts port7 & port5_Dvi had audio but still no joy on port6, I guess the framebuffer edit may have to be different.It is quite late in the morning here, I will double check after I get some sleep to make sure I did this correctly. If it is ok, I have attached both tests for you to check. Thanks

Attachments

• Caretaker_Archive.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 79
I was mistaken, port 7 hdmi appears to be the working one...providing I am reading the ioreg right. I was actually rebooting when I switched the ports (old habit), but I once again did as you asked, with the original mb kexts installed port 7 hdmi was the only working audio, the dvi port appeared to allocated to port 5, leaving the non audio hdmi on 6. With the edited kexts port7 & port5_Dvi had audio but still no joy on port6, I guess the framebuffer edit may have to be different.It is quite late in the morning here, I will double check after I get some sleep to make sure I did this correctly. If it is ok, I have attached both tests for you to check. Thanks
If your Z77N is like the others, the HDMI connectors are ports 5 and 7. DVI is port 6 and does not support HDMI audio, even with a DVI to HDMI adapter. The edited Capri framebuffer supports HDMI audio on port 6 only only through a DP connector which your motherboard does not have. I cannot open the zip files; do not compress compressed files.

If your Z77N is like the others, the HDMI connectors are ports 5 and 7. DVI is port 6 and does not support HDMI audio, even with a DVI to HDMI adapter. The edited Capri framebuffer supports HDMI audio on port 6 only only through a DP connector which your motherboard does not have. I cannot open the zip files; do not compress compressed files.

Sorry about the zip files...it was quite late. What I was referring to was this , when I connected to each port display 0 appeared under each framebuffer within the GFXO@2 code, I assumed this was the connected port. If I am correct the non audio port that is now connected shows display 0 and port 6...I am probably talking out my ????. I am sure you can set my thinking straight. Here are the kexts from earlier this morning. Thank you for your patience.

Attachments

• Caretaker_Ioreg_Archive.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Sorry about the zip files...it was quite late. What I was referring to was this , when I connected to each port display 0 appeared under each framebuffer within the GFXO@2 code, I assumed this was the connected port. If I am correct the non audio port that is now connected shows display 0 and port 6...I am probably talking out my ????. I am sure you can set my thinking straight. Here are the kexts from earlier this morning. Thank you for your patience.
If you want HDMI audio on port 6, you have to edit the capri framebuffer:
for port 0x6 - dp >hdmi
find
03 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00
replace
03 04 00 00 00 08 00 00 06 00 00 00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back