Contribute
Register

Motherboard Hardware RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, a thought. The RAID card was shipped out first, before any of my other components. Would it be possible (or advisable) to put the RAID card into my current desktop temporarily for configuration only? I'd likely have to have the actual drives I want to use in the RAID array though, so I probably can't do this...

Hm, a thought. The RAID card was shipped out first, before any of my other components. Would it be possible (or advisable) to put the RAID card into my current desktop temporarily for configuration only? I'd likely have to have the actual drives I want to use in the RAID array though, so I probably can't do this...

Yeah you need the actual drives because you need to configure the card but also write metadata to the volumes.

Yeah you need the actual drives because you need to configure the card but also write metadata to the volumes.

I figured as much. Maybe the drives (which I ordered separately) will arrive earlier than the rest of the setup. Otherwise, I can live with just doing everything as I need it.

Raid Card Compatibility

Hey,

I'm building my first hackintosh server. I'm wanting to do an 8-12 drive raid card and I saw that you had one in your server. I'm looking also at an areca 1222(or 12 drive version in the same family) for mine. I wanted to know how hard it was to setup and if I have to use special mounting assistants or kexts to make it work.

I'm wanting to do a RAID 6 array of WD Red 3TB drives, and I know the Areca 1222 has that ability, so they are naturally attractive, and I've heard they have compatibility with OSX, but I don't know if it's only certain versions of OSX that it works with. I am wanting to do Mavericks Server Edition on my server. I am also planning on having a 4 disk RAID 0 boot drive that would be configured by OSX. I've done it on a mac mini with 2 drives and I love the speed.

I have the following planned, but I have only bought the case and PSU:

-Storm Stryker case
-4770K Processor
-Corsair H100i liquid cooler
-Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
-Kingston Beast 16GB 2400MHz RAM(2x 8GB)
-GTX 660 Graphics Card
-Areca 1222 RAID Card with battery
-8-12x WD Red 3TB Drives in RAID 6
-4 OCZ 128GB Vector Drives in RAID 0
-Cooler Master V850 PSU
-A few Extra Case fans, too

I don't know if that helps to know, but there it is. Any help or advice any of you could give would be really appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back