Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT-

Did you try reversing the SAS barrel on your rig?

If memory serves, that should test "the other half" of the barrel because I think it is essentially a crossover cable. Maybe that will give you an indication if your problem component is the barrel or the SAS octopus cable...

As for the BT module - looks like it will work. You'll need to construct your own USB cable of course. You'll probably want a different antenna too - ideal if you have the factory MacPro antenna. It is very covertly located under the pci-e slot cutouts and has a nice long coax cable so you can mount the module anywhere.

Mooner

Good call on testing the barrel but it was no change, so it looks like its in the SAS to data cable lets just hope its in the new one and not the apple harness. I just looked in my parts bin and I do still have the mac pro BT antenna.

the voltage converter you used, was the point of that so you could use the usb power rather than mobo power? Is the other 3 wires on the module data +/- and ground?

Mooner and PT,

Thanks for the quick update. I'm waiting for my cases to arrive. Ordered a G5 case then decided to get a Mac Pro case, so now I have two. I'll start the build once everything gets here and I'm back from training, so it'll be about a month before I can start posting pics. I'll let you know how things turn out and will continue to feed off both of your builds.

Tim

PT-

Yes, I used the voltage converter to ensure I had 3.3v being supplied to the BT module, even if the mobo was sleeping. That way you can use BT mouse/kb to wake the system.

But maybe that is moot - I can't get this mobo to wake reliably, so I only sleep the HD and displays...

If I remember correctly, the BT cable only had 4 wires... Center wires are data +/- and outer wires are voltage + and ground...

Good luck with the sas adapter...

I think I have blown the minds of the guys at maxupgrades, they have emailed me 4 time trying to figure out how I'm using there product. There like "what kind of mac are you using" I hope they are willing to send me a replacement part. I think it has to be a bad cable at this point, I just hope the apple backplane is not bad that could suck having to track one of those down.

PT-

If necessary, you can let the maxupgrades folks know that I'm using the exact same product in the same way -- and all 4 drive slots are working correctly. I just re-tested all 4 slots to be 100% certain...

After email #8 they are sending me a replacement

Ok -- the Aaxeon FW800 card works great under MacOS X 10.7 Lion. Haven't tried under any other versions, but it worked without any drivers or Kexts at all. Simply plug and play.

One minor issue - it appears I might have a problem with my front panel connector. I'm wondering if not connecting the 3.3v line has bitten me in the butt. My FW400 front panel port is not working -- I don't have any native FW800 devices to test the FW800 port. The REAR FW400 port seems to be working just fine. The System Information utility correctly shows maximum bus speed as 800 Mbps.

I'll eventually get an FW800 hard drive to test these ports, but not a high priority for me...

For anyone out there dual booting, this card does NOT include Windows drivers for FW800... The included documentation does state that this card under Windows (XP SP2 and later) will work with the built-in drivers for speeds up to FW400.

I dont know why it would need the 3.3v but I also dont know why apple put the 3.3v on the front board. I did hook the 3.3v on mine when I redid it so If I pick up a card I will let you know what I end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back