Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys couple questions. My case was completely gutted so I have been trying to find various parts for it.

I think I have everything but some cables and the cd drive enclosure, but my first question would actually be. How did you guys wire up the front power switch?And does the front logic/circuit board or whatever you call it need to be powered. Right now I have stolen a switch from an old case of mine and have been using that with the side panel off and exposed to dust and to the air and everything. I think I have figured out how to wire the two USB ports through splicing a data cable like everyone has suggested but if it needs more power to the board I guess I don't know.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Second question is I have a Bluetooth card, what kind of cable are you plugging into the Bluetooth card? it takes a really small four pin cable that I can't figure out. Bought the voltage converter and everything.

And last question, where are you finding internal USB cables? Are you pulling them from old cases? I can't seem to find any online other than some small ones that have four pins instead of 7 or however many USB cables need.

MK-

You need to go back and read the ENTIRE thread. My post from July 11 shows exactly how I got the front power and USB ports working. There are many other posts on the forum addressing various audio and other front panel wiring tips...

The front panel board does indeed need power - not only for the power switch and LED, but also for USB and FW to work correctly.

I also cover building the USB cable later in the thread...

I used the original cable that came with the Bluetooth card. Good luck finding that connector by itself... I specifically bought one that came with the cable to avoid those kind of problems...

As for motherboard USB connectors, I bought naked connectors from Mouser and built my own cables. But you can just buy PC USB headers and cut them up. You can easily find those on eBay. Each USB 2.0 port only has 4 wires.

Thanks guys for your help. I have built computers for 15 plus years, but ripping apart cases, cables, splicing wires and soldering is all new to me. I am grateful for all the advice and the experience everyone else has already gone through.

Mooner - I appreciate your help, I can get a little slow when it comes to searching eBay, I searched there as soon as you mentioned that last night. Going over your post from the 11th I thought that was only referring to the USB ports, which i actually had already wired as well using your schematic, not the whole front logic board. I looked it up last night as well, so I am looking forward to working on that next weekend. Thanks again for answering my questions I really appreciate it. I have never been so good at skimming over schematics, so that is why I seem a little slower at picking things up.

Thanks again.

Ok, having some problems and would appreciate any insight from those of you following this thread.

I had a power outage (resulting in an abrupt power off) a couple weeks ago and now the hackintosh is behaving oddly.

1: Boot takes forever. This appears to be a motherboard issue, but the BIOS splash screen sits for about 2-3 minutes before the machine will start the boot process. I see the Gigabyte picture, but keyboard appears to be completely dead and keys to get into BIOS config do not work. -- BUT -- after being very patient, it would eventually boot "normally" and everything was working. I don't normally shut down my machine very often, so I ignored this issue as a low priority problem...

2: Last night, experienced a crash -- all my Apps were still running, but Finder took a dump. Couldn't get Finder to relaunch, so gracefully closed as many apps as possible and then used power button to hard power off. Turned system back on and now it boots (still have to wait a long time), but the keyboard and mouse button are unresponsive. I can move the cursor all over the screen, but can't click on anything or use any keyboard shortcuts. Have tried both Bluetooth and USB connected input devices - same effect.

Any suggestions??

Fried Mobo? Maybe get it RMA'ed?

Maybe... Although it is clearly unhappy, I don't think it is fried...

Going to reinstall SL again... Then upgrade to Lion... See what happens...

EDIT: Weird... Reinstalled back to 10.6 and updated to 10.6.8... Now the BIOS issue seems to have gone away. Booting in normal time now... Still putting all my kexts back together. I almost forgot how much of a pain-in-the-@$$ this was the first time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back