Contribute
Register

Mooner's HackPro (Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 in Mac Pro case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mooner

did you have any problem getting the mobo to see your HDD's?

Nope... Hard drives were the least of my issues...

I put the optical drives on the 2 BLUE SATA ports.

Then I put the SSD on the BOTTOM WHITE SATA port (this is my boot device).

Then I put the HDDs on the remaining WHITE, GRAY and vertical BLUE SATA ports.

In the BIOS settings, I used AHCI config for the SATA settings (not legacy IDE mode).

Are you having problems??

Its not seeing some of the drives hooked to the miniSAS to SATA adapter what order did you hook them if you remember. I have not gone through and tested to see what number on the cable adapter 0,1,2,3 match up to the drive sleds 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. At this point I am working out getting OSX running I will chase down wiring gremlins later. I wish there was a direct method to install Lion at this point with out having to get SL 10.6.6 or higher running first.

ptmays said:
Its not seeing some of the drives hooked to the miniSAS to SATA adapter what order did you hook them if you remember. I have not gone through and tested to see what number on the cable adapter 0,1,2,3 match up to the drive sleds 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. At this point I am working out getting OSX running I will chase down wiring gremlins later. I wish there was a direct method to install Lion at this point with out having to get SL 10.6.6 or higher running first.

I have only installed 1 hard drive so far... I tried it in all 4 slots and it worked, but didn't try multiple drives...

I installed the first SATA cable into the "top" WHITE port. 2 & 3 SATA cables into the GRAY ports. #4 SATA cable plugged into the vertical BLUE port.

You CAN install directly to Lion... Once you download Lion, you can open the download file package and you'll find a DMG file. You can burn that to DVD and install directly to Lion...

Can't remember where I found the instructions for direct Lion DVD burning - let me know if you can't find it... It might not have been on this forum...

This isn't where I originally found it, but it is the same procedure...
http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

I tried it, and it just reboots. I dont think iBoot supports direct booting Lion install disc yet

Mooner did you get KP's when trying to install combo update 10.6.8?

Im going to try 10.6.7 as soon as SL reinstalls

Update: Problem solved I needed Update Helper

Update to my update: Nope that did not fix it, Still get KP during 10.6.8 update, any thoughts

That still requires you to have 10.6.6 or later running to install 10.7, since I can not get combo 10.6.8 to install I am going to try 10.6.7 and see what happens

ok 10.6.7 worked I am running xmove now and will try to install Lion in the next little bit

Mooner,

I've been studying your build intensely as I'm getting ready to do a similar one. Question regarding your Hard Drives. I see where you got your mini SAS to SATA kit. In your configuration are your SATA III drives working at 6.0Gb/s? or does using the existing Apple MAC PRO Sata II cabling reduce your SATA III's to SATA II speeds? I'm a noob and sorry if the question is ignorant. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back