Contribute
Register

Monterey with NVIDIA graphic cards (Kepler series) support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be surprised that next mac Os will only support M1 Macs
Apple's Mission Statement says otherwise.

Apple mission statement: “ To bring the best user experience to its customers through its innovative hardware, software, and services.

So if someone buys a new 27" 2020 iMac today (and pays about 2K) and uses it until September 2022 then can't upgrade to macOS 13 next October is that going to give that customer "the best user experience through hardware, software and services ?

Certainly not. That would be one very unhappy customer that would curse at Apple for treating them that way. Their shiny new 5K retina iMac is stuck on Monterey for the next 8 or more years. They might leave the ecosystem entirely. They could easily install Windows 10/11 on their iMac and jump ship to MS.

I don't see Apple doing that next year in 2022. I know, there is Opencore Legacy Patcher but the majority of Mac owners know nothing about that. They have no idea about how OC works or that it's even an option for real Macs.

"What about the switch to Intel from PPC back in 2006 ?" That was then and this is now. 25 years ago Apple was a completely different company. Steve Jobs was CEO and he made the employees meet strict deadlines or they got fired. He didn't care if he ticked off a few PPC based Mac users. "Just get over it and buy an Intel Mac." Was Steve's approach to the Intel transition.

Today, Cook doesn't take the same approach. Completely different attitude. He says to the Mac Pro refresh team at Apple back in 2015: "Take as long as you want and get it done, whenever." Then it doesn't get released till late 2019. Would Steve Jobs have ever let that happen ? Not a chance.

Apple also has so much cash on hand that they can easily afford to keep supporting Intel Macs way longer than they did PPC Macs. In 2006 they didn't even sell a single iPhone or iPad, just Macs, peripherals and an iPod. There was no Mac App Store or other multiple revenue streams that they have today.

Last edited:
Forget nonsense written yesterday. (I hope no one has a screen capture. I should know better.)

I used the chris1111 v2 patcher on a new installation of Monterey 12.1 that has a fanless GeForce GT 640 2GB.

The installation went fine with the latest version of OpenCore.

I ensured that it could boot once and then booted into the recovery drive and did csrutil disable via the Terminal. Restarted and then applied the patch. Restarted. So far, so good.

Lesson learned: after a new install, disable the System Integrity Protection before applying the patch. The patch will apply with SIP enabled and that is what fooled me into thinking SIP was disabled.

Last edited:
Apple's Mission Statement says otherwise.

Apple mission statement: “ To bring the best user experience to its customers through its innovative hardware, software, and services.

So if someone buys a new 27" 2020 iMac today (and pays about 2K) and uses it until September 2022 then can't upgrade to macOS 13 next October is that going to give that customer "the best user experience through hardware, software and services ?

Certainly not. That would be one very unhappy customer that would curse at Apple for treating them that way. Their shiny new 5K retina iMac is stuck on Monterey for the next 8 or more years. They might leave the ecosystem entirely. They could easily install Windows 10/11 on their iMac and jump ship to MS.

I don't see Apple doing that next year in 2022. I know, there is Opencore Legacy Patcher but the majority of Mac owners know nothing about that. They have no idea about how OC works or that it's even an option for real Macs.
Agreed. I personally think there should be at least one more Intel MacOS release in 2022, and then only Apple Silicon builds in 2023 and later.

I got macOS Monterey working on a GA-B250M-DS3H with NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 1023 MB and used Geforce-Kepler-patcher and i seems to work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 10.24.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-21 at 10.24.57 PM.png
    61 KB · Views: 133
Here's another sign that we may get even longer Intel Support. Mac Pro Refresh with Intel Xeon CPUs !

Well, isn't that just a rumor at this point? Someone does not want the rumor to die (or desperately wanting it to be true).

isn't that just a rumor at this point?
The most reliable leakers like Mark Gurman of Bloomberg have been claiming this for about a year now. We can only wait and see if they are right or not. We'll know sometime in 2022. If we look back at all the money spent on R & D and the time it took to produce the 2019 (Late) Mac Pro, it's not difficult to believe that Apple would give it at least one refresh for professionals that still need Intel and X86 in a Mac. By the time the new M1 Max based Mac Pros are getting their first refresh, Classic (2019) MP owners can still install and run Windows 11 on their Mac Pro and have a very capable Windows workstation. It's not like they'd be buying an obsolete MP in 2022.

Last edited:
The most reliable leakers like Mark Gurman of Bloomberg have been claiming this for about a year now. We can only wait and see if they are right or not. We'll know sometime in 2022. If we look back at all the money spent on R & D and the time it took to produce the 2019 (Late) Mac Pro, it's not difficult to believe that Apple would give it at least one refresh for professionals that still need Intel and X86 in a Mac. By the time the new M1 Max based Mac Pros are getting their first refresh, Classic (2019) MP owners can still install and run Windows 11 on their Mac Pro and have a very capable Windows workstation. It's not like they'd be buying an obsolete MP in 2022.
For one year? Quite persistent.

All your reasons may be reasonable, but for me, no product confirmation from Apple means it is all just rumor.

Personally I am not convinced that there will be another Intel Mac. I am happy to be proven wrong though.

I have gigabyte 560 DS3h motherboard
Gigabyte nvidia geforce 730 card.
Core i5 11400 (rocket lake cpu)

I have managed to installed the monterey 12.1 but graphics card Nvidia 730 is not getting detected. I have tried opencore-legacy-patcher but no luck yet. Please help

Nvidia 730 is not getting detected
To be expected in Monterey 12.1 as Apple removed all Nvidia Kepler support that had been in early betas.

Using programs like the OCLP is not the best solution. Every point update of Monterey requires that you download
and run the full 12GB+ installer of Monterey. SIP must remain disabled. Not ideal. If you can locate an RX460 or RX560 (non-XFX) it's a much better solution for longer term with Monterey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back