Contribute
Register

Monterey with NVIDIA graphic cards (Kepler series) support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends in Monterey OpenCL doesn't work, but it worked in BigSur, what can it be? My video card is a GTX 650.

Hello friends in Monterey OpenCL doesn't work, but it worked in BigSur, what can it be? My video card is a GTX 650.
As stated before in this thread your card is no longer supported on MacOS Monterey.

I recommend staying with Big Sur if you want to continue to use the GTX 650.

I updated to 12.2. I have updated all of my kexts and OpenCore. (When I first updated I didn't update the kexts and had sound issues. It seems like everything should be updated.)

The update went smoothly. I had to reinstall the graphics drivers using the latest version of OpenCore-Patcher. Graphics are back to normal.

I have noticed that when I startup now, the OS tells me that the that there was a problem with the shutdown, would I like to open my previously opened apps. - weird but no biggie.

I also have to re- log into my Apple account every time I startup and when I look at my list of Apple devices, I see this computer twice. I deleted the "older" entry.

I will keep playing. Hopefully these minor issues will go away.

I updated to 12.2. I have updated all of my kexts and OpenCore. (When I first updated I didn't update the kexts and had sound issues. It seems like everything should be updated.)

The update went smoothly. I had to reinstall the graphics drivers using the latest version of OpenCore-Patcher. Graphics are back to normal.

I have noticed that when I startup now, the OS tells me that the that there was a problem with the shutdown, would I like to open my previously opened apps. - weird but no biggie.

I also have to re- log into my Apple account every time I startup and when I look at my list of Apple devices, I see this computer twice. I deleted the "older" entry.

I will keep playing. Hopefully these minor issues will go away.
Question: if you are using OCLP do you have to boot from another drive in order to mount the bootdrive (with Monterey) so that OCLP can patch it? When I try to use the OCLP it tells me the drive cannot be mounted R/W. I updated my Catalina 10.15.7 directly to Monterey without problems using OC 0.7.6 and everything except the GT710 graphics is working fine. So far neither the OCLP nor GeforceKeplerPatcher have succeeded. I have set csr-active-config to disable it in config.plist.

Question: if you are using OCLP do you have to boot from another drive in order to mount the bootdrive (with Monterey) so that OCLP can patch it? When I try to use the OCLP it tells me the drive cannot be mounted R/W. I updated my Catalina 10.15.7 directly to Monterey without problems using OC 0.7.6 and everything except the GT710 graphics is working fine. So far neither the OCLP nor GeforceKeplerPatcher have succeeded. I have set csr-active-config to disable it in config.plist.
When I performed the updates, my computer would boot normally but the graphics would be in low res. I ran the Open-Core Patcher then restarted. After the restart things would be back to normal.

I didn't have to use any other drives.

I came from Big Sur.

Getting it to work was a little tricky as you probably read in my previous posts.

I have attached my current EFI. Feel free to add your machine information and ACPI items to the config and see if it works for you. I am sure it could be more efficient but it works which is what counts.

Attachments

• EFI Public.zip
    12.6 MB · Views: 167
For people like me who are using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher - DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.5 yet.

Warning for Macs with Nvidia Kepler: macOS 12.5 breaks graphics acceleration with this build​

Stay on 12.4 or older if your Mac has a Kepler GPU. 0.4.9 will prevent the installation of Kepler acceleration patches, instead only installing basic framebuffer in 12.5. macOS 12.4 and older are not affected, and can still be used normally.​

Source: Release 0.4.9 · dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher · GitHub

UPDATE: Issue was resolved in the next release.

Last edited:
Warning for Macs with Nvidia Kepler: macOS 12.5
Does this mean Nvidia graphics with Ventura will never be possible ?

Does this mean Nvidia graphics with Ventura will never be possible ?
I think it is going to be tough going. See this post:

macOS Ventura and OpenCore Legacy Patcher Support · Issue #998 · dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher · GitHub

I am starting to look for a new graphics card on Ebay. I just picked up a SAPPHIRE AMD RADEON R9 270X for $60. It is supposed to work without any extra configuration.

See this post for compatible cards: AMD GPUs | GPU Buyers Guide (dortania.github.io)

For those of us still on the Keplers - I updated my OS to 12.5.1 with the understanding that .0.4.10 of OpenCore patcher was supposed to work but, unfortunately, I can't login anymore. The OS starts up, I enter my password, I see a circle spin for a second or two, it stops spinning and the computer hangs until I am brought back to the login screen.

All Kexts are up to date as is my version of OpenCore.

I am going to play with my config in hopes of getting it to work again but I am seem to be stuck.

Be careful with this version is all I can say.

Release 0.4.10 · dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher (github.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back