Contribute
Register

Mojave install issue w/unibeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H77N-WiFI
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
As per the instructions, I downloaded the Mojave installer from apple. I assume it must be clean. Using unibeast and following all instructions everything fails during the OS install process from the USB drive. A window pops up and says this cannot be installed because the installer or OS is damaged.

Any help on this? Thnx

A window pops up and says this cannot be installed because the installer or OS is damaged.
This sometimes happens when a security certificate has expired.
Try changing the system date/time to the same as that of the installer app.

Don't forget to try the forum search tool, there are other possibilities.

Thank you for the reply although that did not seem to work. Maybe I should have explained that I'm trying to install it on a partition that is on a 1TB drive that is partitoned equally. One partition already has El Capitian installed on it and I use it as my main OS. I would like to put Mojave on a different partition to "test drive" it. I can send you a screen shot of what it installed on my other partition if you would like.

I'm not 100% sure but I have a sneaking feeling this maybe to do with disk formats. But as @P1LGRIM says the system date needs temporarily setting back in time. You may also need to disconnect from the Internet to prevent macOS checking.

By default Mojave wants APFS whereas your current drive has the first partition as HFS+. Yes, you can possibly use the version of DiskUtility included on the UniBeast installer stick (Tools menu before running actual installer) to format the new partition to the correct version, but this may still fail as I guess the new partition is the second one on the disk rather than the first.

May be better to use a separate drive.:)

I tried your advice and reset the time again, used the DU to format the partition to APFS. Everything "seemed" to be working but the install only took about 5 to 8 minutes. When the screen went white and the system rebooted, it did not go to finishing the installation and the partition (or volume) did not show up in clover nor the desktop when booting into El Capitan (as I expected because HFS+ doesn't see APFS). So, now I'm not sure what it installed on that partition. Where to go from here?

Now, The sad part about this is that I cannot figure out how to recover my 1TB partition from APFS back to HFS+

I also noticed this snipit of info. An APFS volume can only exist inside an APFS partition, also known as a container. It can’t exist as a partition in the disk partition table, only inside an APFS partition/container. Is that complicating my attempt?

FYI. I figured out to regain my 1TB partition to HFS+. Still can't figure how to get the Mojave OS to install. What I don't understand is the 5-8 minutes only of install on a APFS formatted partition. Would have expected more time and for the installer to jump right into the final install. I tried with the option key upon boot as some have suggested but it seems that clover just gets in the way. Any other tips and tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back