Contribute
Register

Mojave (14.1) install freezes at 2 minutes remaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been able to solve it on mine by using Clover Configurator and deleting AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and putting this file OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi in the EFI-CLOVER-drivers64UEFI directory.

Hopes this helps you.

Unfortunately, no change, it still locks up during the first install screen with "2 Minutes Remaining"

Unfortunately, no change, it still locks up during the first install screen with "2 Minutes Remaining"
The error you're seeing is something like "cannot convert this disk to APFS", so let's check some of the basics first:
  • When you started the installation of Mojave by booting from the USB Flash disk, there was a step to run Disk Utility and format the target Mojave disk.
  • You already said you tried formatting the target SSD as APFS and HFS+, but neither works.
  • However, when you ran Disk Utility, did you click Show All Devices on the top left and then choose the parent name of the target SSD?
  • After that did you select MacOS Journaled (not APFS) as the format type and GUID Partition Map?

Last edited:
The error you're seeing is something like "cannot convert this disk to APFS", so let's check some of the basics first:
  • When you started the installation of Mojave by booting from the USB Flash disk, there was a step to run Disk Utility and format the target Mojave disk.
  • You already said you tried formatting the target SSD as APFS and HFS+, but neither works.
  • However, when you ran Disk Utility, did you click Show All Devices on the top left and then choose the parent name of the target SSD?
  • After that did you select MacOS Journaled as the format type and GUID Partition Map?

Actually I had forgotten about the view all disks and format the parent. I had done that the first couple of times and that step got lost in the ensuing frustration.

I just tried that, Selected the parent APFS volume and selected MacOS Extended Journaled (GUID) to reformat the partition. I got messages about it deleting all the partitions and formatting it. I proceed with the install and it still locks up with that OpenDirectory error as the last one in the installer log before it locks up and the drive light stops flashing.

So if I force reboot, go into the Clover bootloader and select the (one) HFS volume it boots into the installer and seemingly STARTS installing. The drive light flashes and the progress bar just barely moves, but nothing else happens, no drive light, nothing.

Strangely enough The keyboard and mouse (plugged into the system via an old Dell monitor work fine UNTILL macOS starts to boot then both stop working and only the mouse I have plugged directly into the system works. I tried plugging a keyboard directly into the system, bypassing the hub in the monitor, but no joy. It will only recognize the mouse. I mention that in case it is a helpful symptom, thx!

Because your Samsung EVO is an M.2 drive, have you tried adding the nvmexpress (can't remember the exact name) UEFI driver (to the EFI/CLOVER/drivers folder)?

I found a post by @RehabMan that might work for you...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-trying-to-upgrade.232785/page-2#post-1589471

You haven't posted your config.plist so I can't see your SMBIOS section. If you have FirmwareFeatures, try blanking them.

If you have something like this:
Code:
<key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <string>0xFC0FE137</string>
<key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <string>0xFF1FFF3F</string>
Then try deleting the FirmwareFeatures and FirmwareFeaturesMask entries completely. Be sure to backup the current config.plist.

Edit: One more thing to try.

Last edited:
OK thanx everyone for the suggestions, so far no joy but I did notice some behavior change. Have added a screen cap of my drivers folders. and posted my config.plist. The config.plist is pretty stock from the Unibeast (V 9.0.0) installation and does not even have a FirmwareFeatures section in it. I think the only change I made (due to a recommendation I found elsewhere) was to make the model of Mac listed an iMac 18,1 rather than an iMac 16,1. As far as I can tell that has made no difference. But then the changes do build up after a while...

Adding the NvmExpressDxe-64 driver seemed to do nothing

Replacing the OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi did result in a change of behavior. Rather than locking up shortly after the progress shows 2 minutes remaining the system spontaneously rebooted. Just for fun I tried booting from the HFS volume in the Clover bootloader after that but it still went into the Mojave Installer, started the progress bar, the drive light flashed a few times and then nothing.

Previously with the OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi the installer would freeze up with progress indicating 2 minutes left and just hang there.

The installer log DID show different messages with the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi but it restarted rather quickly and I couldn't see what the messages were.

Thanks again for everyone assisting with this!

EFI Files.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 132
Alright, let's try the following first before going further:

1. config.plist on your USB flash disk (the one created by UniBeast) -- first make a backup copy of the file.
  • Insert the USB flash disk on your working Mac, mount the EFI partition using EFI Mounter v3 and use latest version of Clover Configurator to edit the EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file.
  • Enable verbose flag in the Boot section.
  • In the SMBIOS section, click the pop-up icon near the bottom right side of the pane. It will pop up a long list of Mac models. Choose iMac18,1 from the pop-up menu. All of your SMBIOS fields should now be populated. Make sure the Trust flag is still checked on.
  • I've posted my config.plist here. You're welcome to try it, but be sure to follow the above step to choose iMac18,1 because I've put dummy serial numbers in the file. My config.plist includes ACPI patches for renaming XHCI and XHC1 to XHC. This might (or might not) help your USB keyboard/mouse problems during installation.
  • Save the modified config.plist.
2. If the cause of the hang is still cannot convert this volume to APFS then note some observations:
  • The screenshot in Post #1 shows that the error occurred on disk23s1. This looks strange. It should be disk0s1 or disk1s1.
  • Do you have a lot of disks plugged into the Hackintosh? Or do you have some disks with a lot of partitions?
  • Is your Samsung EVO NVMe drive new?
  • Do you have anything plugged into any other NVMe slots or any SATA ports?
  • Do you have a spare SSD that you can temporarily use to install Mojave? The spare SSD can be a cheap $35 240GB 2.5" form factor. I have 3 of these SSDs installed in external USB 3.0 enclosures that I use for backup and test purposes.
  • If you have a spare SSD, it might be a good idea to try and install Mojave onto that. If the "cannot convert to APFS" error goes away, then we can suspect something is wrong with the Samsung EVO (or with M.2 compatibility). But if the error persists, then at least we've ruled out any hardware or other fault with the Samsung EVO.
3. You have 2 copies of FSInject-64.efi. I would suggest removing the one in the drivers64 folder. It might be okay to remove that folder entirely.

Last edited:
Alright, let's try the following first before going further:

1. config.plist on your USB flash disk (the one created by UniBeast) -- first make a backup copy of the file.
  • Insert the USB flash disk on your working Mac, mount the EFI partition using EFI Mounter v3 and use latest version of Clover Configurator to edit the EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file.
  • Enable verbose flag in the Boot section.
  • In the SMBIOS section, click the pop-up icon near the bottom right side of the pane. It will pop up a long list of Mac models. Choose iMac18,1 from the pop-up menu. All of your SMBIOS fields should now be populated. Make sure the Trust flag is still checked on.
  • I've posted my config.plist here. You're welcome to try it, but be sure to follow the above step to choose iMac18,1 because I've put dummy serial numbers in the file. My config.plist includes ACPI patches for renaming XHCI and XHC1 to XHC. This might (or might not) help your USB keyboard/mouse problems during installation.
  • Save the modified config.plist.
2. If the cause of the hang is still cannot convert this volume to AFPS then note some observations:
  • The screenshot in Post #1 shows that the error occurred on disk23s1. This looks strange. It should be disk0s1 or disk1s1.
  • Do you have a lot of disks plugged into the Hackintosh? Or do you have some disks with a lot of partitions?
  • Is your Samsung EVO NVMe drive new?
  • Do you have anything plugged into any other NVMe slots or any SATA ports?
  • Do you have a spare SSD that you can temporarily use to install Mojave? The spare SSD can be a cheap $35 240GB 2.5" form factor. I have 3 of these SSDs installed in external USB 3.0 enclosures that I use for backup and test purposes.
  • If you have a spare SSD, it might be a good idea to try and install Mojave onto that. If the "cannot convert to APFS" error goes away, then we can suspect something is wrong with the Samsung EVO (or with M.2 compatibility). But if the error persists, then at least we've ruled out any hardware or other fault with the Samsung EVO.
3. You have 2 copies of FSInject-64.efi. I would suggest removing the one in the drivers64 folder. It might be okay to remove that folder entirely.

CaseySJ, thx I appreciate it!

• I'll try your .plist file. I did as you suggested and tried to select iMac 18,1 but only 17,1 was available, so I used that. the rest of it I think I got.
  • I had not noticed the disk23s1 entry, which is odd as the (New Samsung 970 EVO) M.2 is the only m.2 device. I also have a sata 2TB 3.5 inch drive and a CD/DVD-RW drive attached to the SATA ports. Odd that. If your .plist file and directions don't work I will disconnect them and the m.2 drive and see if I can install on a spare SSD sitting around.

thx again

CaseySJ, thx I appreciate it!

• I'll try your .plist file. I did as you suggested and tried to select iMac 18,1 but only 17,1 was available, so I used that. the rest of it I think I got.
  • I had not noticed the disk23s1 entry, which is odd as the (New Samsung 970 EVO) M.2 is the only m.2 device. I also have a sata 2TB 3.5 inch drive and a CD/DVD-RW drive attached to the SATA ports. Odd that. If your .plist file and directions don't work I will disconnect them and the m.2 drive and see if I can install on a spare SSD sitting around.

thx again
Correction: my config.plist is actually using Macmini8,1 so you're welcome still to try that (but will have to select Macmini8,1 from the SMBIOS section of Clover Configurator -- the latest version of the Configurator supports Macmini8,1).

Also note that if you install to an HDD (not SDD) then APFS conversion should not occur. So this is "Plan C".

Edit: Plan D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back