Contribute
Register

Mobo with H370 chipset will WORK or NOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In verbose mode text becomes garbled to the point of being unreadable - not even worth posting!
Look in the bottom left corner where it probably says "Still waiting for root device".
If so, you can use the forum Search tool for the answer.

Pastrychef,

Do you have any work arounds for the dreaded Circle Slash Prohibitory symbol when installing macOS (from a USB drive) on an ASUS H370M Plus system? Get about 70-80% through the white progress bar then it freezes on the Prohibit symbol. In verbose mode text becomes garbled to the point of being unreadable - not even worth posting!

Tried all of the different USB 2.0 ports and added recent USBInjectAll.kext to kexts/other - still freezes at 70-80%.

Was able to boot the same ASUS H370 mobo into HS from a SSD swapped out from another Hackintosh, so the board seems to be basically functional although there were problems with sleep/restart/shutdown.

Any thoughts on the Circle Slash Prohibitory symbol would be appreciated. TIA

I'm guessing here, but if it's freezing at 70-80%, I think it may be graphics related. I see you have a GTX 1050 Ti, try enabling the nv_disable=1 boot flag or try using IGPU only (as in pull out the GTX 1050 Ti). There are not Mojave drivers for that video card anyway.

Another option would be to pull the the GTX 670 from your Z370-A build and use it in the H370M build to complete the installation.

A last ditch solution would be to do the install on one of your other hacks and transplant the drive back to the H370M build when done. Just copy a generic EFI folder to the EFI partition where the new Mojave install is.

A last ditch solution would be to do the install on one of your other hacks and transplant the drive back to the H370M build when done.

Yes, a transplanted drive with HS and Clover (MB 10.4) booted fine except for a persistent sleep/restart/start problem. Thanks for the thought!

Not being able to install HS from a USB stick was an elusive problem, now fixed except for the sleep/restart/start problem, which has me stumped right now. Is there a kext for that?

The clue for solving the Prohibitory error during the USB install was in the barely readable -v text:
Look in the bottom left corner where it probably says "Still waiting for root device".

Starting to look like the ASUS Prime H370 mobo is much less compatible with macOS than the Z370 mobo, which has zero issues.

Yes, a transplanted drive with HS and Clover (MB 10.4) booted fine except for a persistent sleep/restart/start problem. Thanks for the thought!

Not being able to install HS from a USB stick was an elusive problem, now fixed except for the sleep/restart/start problem, which has me stumped right now. Is there a kext for that?

The clue for solving the Prohibitory error during the USB install was in the barely readable -v text:

Starting to look like the ASUS Prime H370 mobo is much less compatible with macOS than the Z370 mobo, which has zero issues.

Hmm... Another user who was testing Z390 also reported sleep/restart problems. The two primary differences to H370 and Z390 vs Z370 are (1) integrated Intel Wi-Fi and (2) integrated Intel USB3.1 gen 2. Of the two, my guess is that USB is the more likely culprit. Did you create SSDT for USB? If yes, you can try disabling the 3.1 gen 2 ports to see if it helps...

Ah, yes, "Still waiting for root device." usually point towards USB.

If so, you can use the forum Search tool for the answer.

Yup, there it was - thanks! Search took me to BreBo's post #32 at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-still-waiting-for-root-device.226579/page-4 and to Roargasm's post #29 on the same thread with a link to some Clover files that solved the Prohibitory error problem. Need to see what's different about these files from Unibeast.

Thanks again!

Did you create SSDT for USB? If yes, you can try disabling the 3.1 gen 2 ports to see if it helps...

Actually, I did disable the 3.1 gen 2 ports in the H370M-Plus BIOS at one point although it didn't fix the Prohibitory error. I'll check and see if it has any effect on the restart/shutdown issue.

Thanks again!

If yes, you can try disabling the 3.1 gen 2 ports to see if it helps...

Disabling the 3.1 gen 2 ports didn't help with the restart/shutdown issue. Also, audio doesn't seem to work even with AppleALC and Lilu kexts from MB 10.4 - which worked fine with HS 10.13.6 on a Z370 board.

This H370M board definitely has some quirks that also seem to be popping up on the new Z390 chipset as discussed at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-motherboard-specs.259848/page-7

Thinking that some of vincek8s' ideas for the ROG Strix 390-I might help to solve the H370M issues....

Disabling the 3.1 gen 2 ports didn't help with the restart/shutdown issue. Also, audio doesn't seem to work even with AppleALC and Lilu kexts from MB 10.4 - which worked fine with HS 10.13.6 on a Z370 board.

This H370M board definitely has some quirks that also seem to be popping up on the new Z390 chipset as discussed at:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-rog-strix-z390-i-gaming-motherboard-specs.259848/page-7

Thinking that some of vincek8s' ideas for the ROG Strix 390-I might help to solve the H370M issues....

Yes, it does appear that H370 is closer to Z390 than it is to Z370 and shares the same issues.

I don't know how far he got since the last report.

I was under the impression that Gigabyte mobos were more compatible then MSIs.
Geez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back