Contribute
Register

Moarfish's build - GA-B75M-D3H i5 3570K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, I have similar situation over here.
I've bought Mushkin 60gb and it boots up perfectly <5 sek.
First time I've installed ML, I've checked out TRIM enabler in MBeast, and it was like "ENABLED" in About this mac/system report…
http://d.pr/i/qm2H

But, after that I had to reinstall the system all over again.
I checked out TRIM enabled, and now it's not checked…
Im concerned about this issue :/

I've installed Disk Spee Test (from AppStore) and these are the results:
http://d.pr/i/uUG2

I'm worried about my WRITE speed, because, in SSD specs speeds are 515/500...
Is this big problem?
What should I do?

PS: one more question… beside SSD, I have my HDD where are my data files… Is it better to setup the option "put hard disk to sleep…", or not?

So.. I've been running the system for a while and here are some oddities I've noticed.

First, this is purely cosmetic, but in the log-in screen, I see a flickering box on the top left. I heard that sometimes you see graphic glitches with integrated graphics - not sure if this is it. So far I only noticed it with the login screen so it's not a big issue....

I have also seen this and each time with different brightness, although as it is only on the login screen so I have ignored it. So far I haven't seen the instability on cold boot, but I use sleep a LOT.

For those who had problems enabling TRIM the following worked correctly for me with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1. I haven't ever used the "Enable TRIM" options or the "TRIM Enabler" software etc as I like to know more exactly what I am doing on the system. EDIT: url is: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Also - I found that BOTH the DVI and HDMI ports were working for me WITHOUT the need for that string (from the link on page 4 I think) in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist - Has anyone else got both ports to work without changing anything?

Lastly a question, is there a nice simple check to see what forms of graphics acceleration are running? I see lots of people saying check this and that for CI/QE but is there a nicer test than checking for ripples or playing chess?

PS: Moarfish - I LOVE how little I have to change to get this board working

I think it is not hard to find a monitor with both HDMI and DVI connectors. Some budget brand like AOC monitors usually have very good connectivity. I have use AOC monitor which got both DVI, HDMI and displayport. It got a USB hubs as well, the price is cheap too.

You can also consider to buy a cheap ASUS EN210 display card. It have VGA works very well with Mountain Lion.

Hi Moarfish, I'm going to build this hack for my parents. But I really need to get VGA output working. How is the performance of this card for things like web-browsing(flash video), skype, iLife apps? Or can you recommend another very cheap card with VGA working OOB?

For those who had problems enabling TRIM the following worked correctly for me with 10.8.0 and 10.8.1. I haven't ever used the "Enable TRIM" options or the "TRIM Enabler" software etc as I like to know more exactly what I am doing on the system.

Also - I found that BOTH the DVI and HDMI ports were working for me WITHOUT the need for that string (from the link on page 4 I think) in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist - Has anyone else got both ports to work without changing anything?

Lastly a question, is there a nice simple check to see what forms of graphics acceleration are running? I see lots of people saying check this and that for CI/QE but is there a nicer test than checking for ripples or playing chess?

PS: Moarfish - I LOVE how little I have to change to get this board working

Are you going to share your TRIM guide? I cannot find the detail on it.

If you are using the latest Chimera, it should fix the HDMI port without string.

Hi Moarfish, I'm going to build this hack for my parents. But I really need to get VGA output working. How is the performance of this card for things like web-browsing(flash video), skype, iLife apps? Or can you recommend another very cheap card with VGA working OOB?

VGA will never work with HD4000. Pick ASUS EN210 Silence if you really need VGA.

VGA will never work with HD4000. Pick ASUS EN210 Silence if you really need VGA.

Yeah. That's the plan. I'm just worried about the performance for things like flash video, etc.

Are you going to share your TRIM guide? I cannot find the detail on it.

If you are using the latest Chimera, it should fix the HDMI port without string.

Doh!! The guide is here: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/ it is nice and simple (just replacing the string in the binary using perl), so you know you have the latest version of the file (rather than the version that comes with the enabler software).

Also - yes I am using the latest Chimera (I think) which explains why I don't need the string :)

MultiBeast incorporates the appropriate TRIM enabler Perl commend. However, since Sandforce controllers perform their own garbage collection, you don't need the TRIM enablers.

I cannot get settings for XMP :/
I don't know why? I have 2x4gb Kingston 1600Mhz HyperX.
Simply, I don't have option for XMP… :/

@vikhiiz: Did you find a solution for the memory speed problem? I have a similar build with an i7-3770 and 16gb (2x8gb kingston). The RAM claims to be able to run at 1600MHz, however, it does not - 1333 MHz only and I cannot change it in the BIOS.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back