Contribute
Register

Moarfish's build - GA-B75M-D3H i5 3570K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still running fantastic since my last post. I've installed Logic Pro 9 and it's running 100% with my Traktor Audio 6 sound card. Traktor is running great too with audio latency a good 5ms faster than running Windows 7 on the same machine. I'm also using an Epson NX430 printer and scanner with a Steel Series Sensei Mouse and Apple Keyboard and a usb to midi adapter connected to a Roland midi keyboard.

Thanks for the build Moarfish! Buying a MacBook soon to replace my Win7 notebook as I'm loving Mountain Lion so much.

10.8.1 update ran smoothly, no need to run MultiBeast again.

Getting a new standing table/bench next week. Once I've got everything setup I'll take a photo of my new studio setup. :)

screenshot20120906at125.png

Details

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1007420

Now to learn how to get windows 7 on this thing....
Yesterday I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive. this was really easy. I used Disc Utilities, selected the second HD and format it GUID and partition it FAT. Reboot and install Win7 via DVD or flashdrive. Fin! :)
when booting from 1st HD at the chimera screen I press the right arrow key and choose Windows.

I saw on the web that pwm fans are noisier than voltage fans. It's true ? And you are using pwm fans right ?
Mi goal is to watch movies at night and need a silentpc if it's possible.
I use a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B CPU Cooler and replaced the fan with this one: Alpenföhn Shamrock Wing Boost Plus PWM
in the bios I set the CPU fan control to "Silent" now my 2nd HD is the most noisiest part in my hackintosh.

First, this is purely cosmetic, but in the log-in screen, I see a flickering box on the top left. I heard that sometimes you see graphic glitches with integrated graphics - not sure if this is it. So far I only noticed it with the login screen so it's not a big issue.
Same here. But I disabled the log-in screen, so it´s realy not a big issue ;)

There is still one problem: my optical digital audio output doesn´t work. I got a bracket and made a little modification because the mainboard only provides 2 pins (signal and ground). the 3rd +5V pin is missing, so I took the +5V from a front USB connector:
20120903220053.jpg

under Win7 the optical output works really great. but in OSX I have no sound. I tried already serveral kext. none of them work :(

USB3 is also still not working, but this is not as important as my audio issue.

Next is more severe. On cold-boot, I seem to get hangs. Occasionally it would be a kernel panic, but more often than not, it just simply hangs and it will not respond to anything, so I have to do a manual reset.

I wonder if something I put in the system is bad...

So far, I've tried testing RAM by using the command line memtest in single user mode, but couldn't find anything. So, if I don't find anything else, I will try taking out the wireless and firewire PCI/PCIe cards to see if that makes any difference. argh...

If you are having Panic during boot, it usually do not related to your RAM. RAM usually cause random kernel panic instead of during the boot process.
For wireless, I use Apple Branded Wifi card + PCI-E adaptor or TP-Link WDN4800 for my builds. If you are using the same, it should be no problem at all. Since you are using HD4000, graphics should not be the issue. I think the Firewire card you mentioned have the greatest chance causing the issue.

Still running fantastic since my last post. I've installed Logic Pro 9 and it's running 100% with my Traktor Audio 6 sound card. Traktor is running great too with audio latency a good 5ms faster than running Windows 7 on the same machine. I'm also using an Epson NX430 printer and scanner with a Steel Series Sensei Mouse and Apple Keyboard and a usb to midi adapter connected to a Roland midi keyboard.

Thanks for the build Moarfish! Buying a MacBook soon to replace my Win7 notebook as I'm loving Mountain Lion so much.

10.8.1 update ran smoothly, no need to run MultiBeast again.

Getting a new standing table/bench next week. Once I've got everything setup I'll take a photo of my new studio setup. :)

It is a very good build for Studio! Why don't you create a new post in the User Build section sharing your experience of using Traktor Audio 6 sound card, Logic Pro 9 and MIDI Keyboard in your build? I think there is not much example our there in the user build section building a studio setup for music production. Many people will interest in it.

Hi Moarfish, thanks for the advice!

The lock-up is not during boot, but either in the login screen, or after log-in and using Chrome or iPhoto.

The wireless I use is the Atheros Wifi mini-PCIe AR5BHB92 (AR9280 chip which has two antenna connections) with adaptor. I think this is basically the same as some of the Airport Extreme cards. So unless something is faulty with this, I guess the Firewire PCI card would be to blame. It's ok tho... this Lacie FW 400 card was on sale for like $6 so it's not a big loss. However, I do need some kind of firewire card for my audio interface to do music, so if that really is to blame, I need to start looking for something nice and stable.

I'll post here if I find anything new.

Very simple. Just buy and download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store and run the Unibeast Mountain Lion edition.

Read this Guide from tony
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Got it, done!

I've got my parts, ready to start building.

Question on your build instructions: you say "BIOS, make sure the internal Graphic memory is set to 64M"

Does this mean the HD4000 is allocated 64MB of system memory? Is there any reason not to allocate closer to 512 or even 1028MB? My system will have 8GB system RAM.

Also, I'm a little curious why you went for GA-B75M-D3H instead of GA-B75M-D3P (linked from the Customac guide)? And given I have the GA-B75M-D3P, is this guide still valid for me? The differences seem to come down to the number of SATA3 ports, a few video output types, and the types of expansion slots (I believe) - http://ee.gigabyte.com/microsites/79/data/models.html

What BIOS version are you running?

Got it, done!

I've got my parts, ready to start building.

Question on your build instructions: you say "BIOS, make sure the internal Graphic memory is set to 64M"

Does this mean the HD4000 is allocated 64MB of system memory? Is there any reason not to allocate closer to 512 or even 1028MB? My system will have 8GB system RAM.

It won't boot if it is not set to the default 64M settings.

Mac OS X will allocate the memory accordingly. Don't worry.

Look at this guide for detail:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/61216-10-8-how-enable-hd4000.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back