1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Z77-UD5H [F14 BIOS] Won't boot ML OSX, Grey Screen [SCREENSHOTS INCLUDED]

I recently stumbled upon a post in the Audio section that updating to the F14 BIOS on the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Board would aid the 'No Audio' issue that seems to be a common problem. I updated from the shipped bios to F8 no problem about a month ago and could boot into OSX no problem.

Since I flashed F14 an hour ago I haven't been able to get into OSX at all. I try to boot into it and all I get is a grey screen.

I tried booting -v and I get all the verbose then it boots into grey screen
I tried booting -x and I get grey screen
Tried -v -x and also get grey screen
Tried -v -F -f and grey screen
I thought I'd give GraphicsEnabler=No a try and I still got the same thing.

I'm running a Chameleon Theme (LoginToLion) and one thing I do notice when running -v is that a ton of verbose runs on the theme background (which is grey) then a little bit down the road the screen switches to black and white text, and then it keeps reading it. After that it boots to grey screen.

I checked BIOS and made sure I was booting with AHCI

I can boot into Windows fine.

Running 10.8.1 Update

specs:
Z77X-UD5H w/ i5 3570k
ATI Radeon 6870
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB
OCZ Vertex 3 (Latest Firmware) 120GB
Seagate 1TB

I attached some screens of the verbose from three different boot attempts.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! I need to get back into OSX for work tomorrow. Much thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG-20120914-00402.jpg
    IMG-20120914-00402.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG-20120914-00403.jpg
    IMG-20120914-00403.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG-20120914-00404.jpg
    IMG-20120914-00404.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 658
No idea...
I had some issues with F14 the first time I flashed it, went back to F8, flashed to F14 again and now it's fine... go figure...
I didn't have the kind of problems you're having though, it was just a bit "glitchy" so to say.
Did you clear the CMOS after flashing? As sometimes not doing that and then manually setting up all the settings again, can cause problems.

Okay, so I tried rolling back to F13 and I still got grey screen, tried F14 and got the same thing. I also tried clearing the CMOS and loading optimized defaults like you said thelostswede and it didn't help :(

BUT when I went back to F8 it worked fine. Another interesting surprise is when I flashed the F8 bios again I got audio working!!! Which is the entire reason why I wanted to flash F14.

Only orange works but that's fine. Wish it worked in green but it will have to do for now. Will I have to switch the cable back to green if I want to use audio in Windows? Is there a workaround?

Okay, so I tried rolling back to F13 and I still got grey screen, tried F14 and got the same thing. I also tried clearing the CMOS and loading optimized defaults like you said thelostswede and it didn't help :(

BUT when I went back to F8 it worked fine. Another interesting surprise is when I flashed the F8 bios again I got audio working!!! Which is the entire reason why I wanted to flash F14.

Only orange works but that's fine. Wish it worked in green but it will have to do for now. Will I have to switch the cable back to green if I want to use audio in Windows? Is there a workaround?

The black one should also work. The Realtek drivers in Windows should auto detect where you've plugged the cable in, so it shouldn't be an issue in Windows.

After configuring Windows on the orange audio port, booting back into OSX I don't get any audio capabilities again (logo greyed out, nothing in preferences). Weird!

i removed the AppleHDA kext with the toledo one from audio 898 section and injected it with kext beast (or was it kexttool ? nm)

reboot, works. remember to find it in audio settings and choose it afterwards. I made that mistake a few times, call me noobie :)

hope it works for u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back