Graphics
IGFX HD4000 and XFX 7850 Double D 1GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am running ML on a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard. I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers using Multibeast 5.3.0 and for some reason my 500GB passport keeps disconnecting. With and without the driver, the passport connects and I am able to use it but after a few minutes, it disconnects and I get an error from OSX that I have not ejected the disk properly. Works fine under USB 2.0. It is a problem for me because when transferring large files, obviously I want to use the mush faster 3.0 but 2-6 minutes of transferring later, it disconnects and I have to start over... Its not even being consistent with the time. It always ejects when I am not expecting it to. :banghead:

Any ideas?

Hardware
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Corsair 750 Watt Modular
SATA 6Gb/s 128GB SSD
SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD
Rosewill PCI Express Wifi Adapter
I
ntel Core i7-3770K

I am running ML on a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard. I installed the new USB 3.0 drivers using Multibeast 5.3.0 and for some reason my 500GB passport keeps disconnecting. With and without the driver, the passport connects and I am able to use it but after a few minutes, it disconnects and I get an error from OSX that I have not ejected the disk properly. Works fine under USB 2.0. It is a problem for me because when transferring large files, obviously I want to use the mush faster 3.0 but 2-6 minutes of transferring later, it disconnects and I have to start over... Its not even being consistent with the time. It always ejects when I am not expecting it to. :banghead:

Any ideas?

Hardware
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Corsair 750 Watt Modular
SATA 6Gb/s 128GB SSD
SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD
Rosewill PCI Express Wifi Adapter
I
ntel Core i7-3770K

I am having some issues with USB ports as well with this motherboard. Only certain USBs are working and somehow it changes every time I reboot the system. Which means I have to keep on changing the port for my USB keyboard! It would be nice to see anything regarding on USB ports.

@pryomaniac555

I'm having the same problem with my 3.0 ports on the same board but I did notice that the drive would only disconnect while it was at idle with no data transferring. It doesn't seem to disconnect during a data transfer (Fingers Crossed) I would still love to find a solution though.

same problem here. i didn't have this issue on 10.8.2.
hope something change with the 10.8.4

It seems this issue may have been resolved as per this thread, post #431 -
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-z77x-up5-th-gtx-650-ti-mountain-lion-44.html

According to that post, the issue is the result of USB port number 3. If you update your bios to the newest beta version, you get the ability to disable individual USB ports. I tried this myself without luck - i still had a random disconnect.

The beta bios link can be found here -
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

Keep an eye on the other post for progress with this.

thanks for pointing me to the thread.

i did a couple of things on my side:
- installed and have been running mavericks (but this did not resolve the issue on its own)
- i tested the power in my room and my power supply and discovered that i was drawing a lot.
- i reduced the number of power devices on that circuit in my house and upped the power supply in my house
- my suspicion is power draw is causing issues. thats why when you disable a usb port you can see the situation improve.

after all of this i havent had a single disconnect for about 3 weeks.

i know this isnt a concrete answer to fixing this, but i used to have 3 to 5 disconnects a day and its all gone now.

i will update this when i see more.

thanks for pointing me to the thread.

i did a couple of things on my side:
- installed and have been running mavericks (but this did not resolve the issue on its own)
- i tested the power in my room and my power supply and discovered that i was drawing a lot.
- i reduced the number of power devices on that circuit in my house and upped the power supply in my house
- my suspicion is power draw is causing issues. thats why when you disable a usb port you can see the situation improve.

after all of this i havent had a single disconnect for about 3 weeks.

i know this isnt a concrete answer to fixing this, but i used to have 3 to 5 disconnects a day and its all gone now.

i will update this when i see more.

Interesting. Unlike you though I never get alerts about overdrawing power. Just abrupt disconnects, followed by the generic "always eject before unplugging" error.

As I stated in the other thread, I experimented with this more - disabled both ports that console was giving me errors about. What happened was the USB3 ports then showed up as USB2 ports in the device tree in system information. I also get USB2 speeds on these. I figured leaving it like this would keep the disconnects from happening, but this morning I got the error again..

i havent received a single warning about power drawing exceeding limits. but i could see on my external dac that it looked like power dipped when there was a disconnect. its harder to see it with a drive.

but, to be clear, i am scratching in the dark :)

right now its stable, but it might be something completely different.

my drobo that runs of its own power and is connected to usb 3 has never disconnected regardless of the port i used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back