Contribute
Register

ML: Native Ivy Bridge CPU and GPU Power Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
What´s wrong again?
For the second time, benchmarking apps appear to prevent the the graphics card from going back to idle when finished. Test with non benchmarking apps; try an iTunes movie.

Alright guys,

Killing some final bugs. Keep getting freezes, and I suspect they're graphics related.

Uninstalling CUDA is a pain, so I'm trying MacBook Pro 10,1 instead of MacMini 6,2.

I had patched AGPM.kext using values from another post here, and it gave me sleep but might have been responsible for my hangs. Values are as follows:

agpm1 copy.jpg

I'm starting with the native PM that the 10,1 sysdef has to see if that works. If not, maybe I'll dig CUDA out of the system or repaste the current AGMP into it.

What I really want to know (aside from general insight) is how to make AGPM edits for my card, a GTX 660. Most people have the 660 Ti, but that's a GK104 card and this is a GK106. Searching for 650 Ti Boost didn't turn up much, either.

Any other thoughts are welcome, of course.

EDIT: nooope, still crashes. Cinebench works well for making it happen. I think I'll kill CUDA next.

In a possibly unrelated matter, turning on integrated graphics (with appropriate settings/boot.plist edits) causes a hang during boot right after bluetooth initialization.

A
What I really want to know (aside from general insight) is how to make AGPM edits for my card, a GTX 660. Most people have the 660 Ti, but that's a GK104 card and this is a GK106. Searching for 650 Ti Boost didn't turn up much, either.
Your AGPM edits are for a Fermi graphics card. Kepler uses Heuristic ID: 4

I assume the native AGPM for GFX0 in the MacbookPro 10,1 system definition will have that? Should I try editing that sysdef to have the old values with heuristic ID: 4, or does trying the 10,1 sysdef rule it out?

My guess is that the problem is the Nvidia drivers and/or CUDA, but the hang with integrated is troubling, too.

EDIT: ... and new web drivers are out.

No and no.

Well, I can't completely tell that the new drivers are working, since the pref pane says they're not active by system report says they're loaded. I assume they're loaded, especially since I have the nvram set to load them.

Still crashes. Removing CUDA doesn't help, either.

Pls respond. I don't know what to do.

No and no.
There is no mobile GK106
Your choices are:
GT 650M - 10DE0FD5 GK107
GT 640M - 10DE0FD8 GK107
GTX 660M - 10DE0FE0 GK107
GTX 675MX - 10DE11A2 GK104
GTX 680MX - 10DE11A3 GK 104

Use VendorDevice rather than GFX0 with sysdef that matches your CPU.
Regarding the errors, it is unlikely PM is causing those errors.
It is unlikely there is any difference in the Apple vs. retail drivers for your graphics card.

Right. This kind of seems to be a 10.8.5 issue. I'm inclined to try the 10.9 GM. Can you discuss that at all, or is it restricted info?

Right. This kind of seems to be a 10.8.5 issue. I'm inclined to try the 10.9 GM. Can you discuss that at all, or is it restricted info?

This is not a 10.8.5 issue. I was facing the exact same thing where the GPU would not throttle down when an app or game or even the browser or a benchmark triggered it to the max. After a lot of testing and even installing 10.9 GM to try and isolate the problem, the issue remained. I found out that the solution is rather simple. When you do the graphics card edits and if using plist editor pro, you can do the edits without reinstalling the kext. I have tested it for quite a while now and it hasn't happened since. This is what I did.

I applied the edits to the AGPM and copied the edited kext to the desktop (you can copy it first to the desktop and then do the edits also). I installed the kext after edited and restarted the computer with the -f -v flags. After it booted I restarted it again without the flags and bingo. The card throttles up and down without any issue.

This works for me, I hope it works also for you guys. I have a GTX650 and I replaced the GTX650M on the iMac 13,1 smbios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back