Contribute
Register

Mixing two different type of SSD controllers in the same build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H55M-UD2H Gold Built 2010, OSX 10.8.5
CPU
2700k 3.09mhz
Graphics
ATI 7550
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Believe it or not I did try searching first, I guess I just don't know how to ask the question. I'm putting a build together and will be recycling my Sandisk SSD with the sand force controller chip, that had built in trim, with a samsung 840(which I think needs trim turned on). Is there any configuring I should should do to make them play nice with each other in the OSX? Or will the system know to turn trim on for the samsung and off for the Sandisk?

Thanks for any support.

C...

Hi all,

Believe it or not I did try searching first, I guess I just don't know how to ask the question. I'm putting a build together and will be recycling my Sandisk SSD with the sand force controller chip, that had built in trim, with a samsung 840(which I think needs trim turned on). Is there any configuring I should should do to make them play nice with each other in the OSX? Or will the system know to turn trim on for the samsung and off for the Sandisk?

Thanks for any support.

C...

Mac OS itself will not automatically enable TRIM for any SSD that doesn't come as original equipment in a Mac. But you can enable TRIM on any SSD that supports it (most) by installing TRIM Enabler from MultiBeast; however, I believe it's all or nothing -- I don't think you can enable or disable TRIM on individual drives (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Appears to be all or nothing, at least on the free version.

i just updated Trim Enabler to 3.1.2 it now looks like iOS 7 .... and that's not a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back