Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all.

I seem to have stumbled across a problem that I just can't fix, so I'm hoping one of you bright sparks on this forum may be able to offer me some advice!

I saw the dreaded "Unknown error occurred" when trying to login to the App store a few days ago, and Google quickly suggested that this could be down to:
- Invalid hardware serial
- No ethernet interface

I did have an ethernet interface in my network preferences, but I thought I would be clever and remove it and generate a new serial number for my machine. With hindsight, that wasn't the best idea. I haven't been able to get 'Ethernet' to appear in the drop down menu when clicking '+' in network preferences ever since. I have reinstalled a number of different Realtek8111 kexts, repaired permissions, deleted existing network interface plists, tried different bootloaders and chameleon boot plist settings (i.e. BuildInEthernet), but to no avail.

I do have an 'en0' entry in ifconfig, along with a ethernet address, but the App store problem persists. Has anyone else come across this issue or have any suggestions I could try out?

I can add WiFi back in my interfaces to get online, but the app store problem doesn't disappear.

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

7 days later, problem solved! Phew.

Turns out my GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard must be slightly faulty - hitting F9 at boot shows the system configuration, and the ethernet MAC address was 'Not available'. Well if the hardware isn't working, no matter how many different RealTek drivers I installed, it probably wasn't good to fix things.

Anyway I took the motherboard out, played around with a few cables, put it back in, hit F9 before boot and the MAC address was back.

Booted to OS X, and the Ethernet interface was alive again. I guess I may have to buy a PCI-E ethernet adapter if it keeps breaking, but it's working again for now at least.

App store login is all good again. Hopefully this will help someone else out at some point, especially if it turns out to be a common issue with this motherboard.

Matt

I think I may have the same problem as you. What did do to the cables to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back