Contribute
Register

Minihack’s Build: Haswell i5-4250U NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 - 8GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
this plist has to be edited (Serial number at least ...)

I'm at a standstill. I still am unable to get the computer to boot from my mSATA as earlier stated. Doesn't make it to the load bar before rebooting. I tried making a USB install from scratch and it wouldn't load until I removed the mSATA. Obviously the mSATA is creating problems for the boot process for whatever reason. I think I will be getting a new SSD to mount in the internal location where my Time Machine HD was mounted and install it there. I noticed that after booting to the USB installer the mSATA will not be recognized even if I insert. Is there anyway make it recognizable after boot or would it have to be inserted before the boot process? Thanks!

Hey all, I'm a total nub to this scene and decided to try this out with the NUC. I created a fresh installer using UniBeast 6.0.0 from the El Capitan app, and then installed Clover using instructions in this thread after booting and installing from my flash drive. Everything but analog audio appeared to be working properly with minimal tweaking (used the plist that was included in post 262, and the kexts from there as well). However, I've noticed that when my NUC goes to sleep the NIC stops working and will not come back until I do a restart. I've tried leaving the driver in kexts/10.11 and also tried installing it to SLE directly using kext wizard.

Any ideas? I have tried to scour the thread but I've read about 20 or 30 pages of posts and haven't seen a reference to that issue.

Also, tried the two analog fixes in the thread (the one included in the essentials pack and the one Sebinouse posted) and neither of them give me analog out.

Again, this is on ElCap. If you all suggest I start over, and install yosemite then upgrade, I'll be glad to do it. Also not above just grabbing a USB to GbE adapter and a USB sound card if that's what has to happen :)

I'm at a standstill. I still am unable to get the computer to boot from my mSATA as earlier stated. Doesn't make it to the load bar before rebooting. I tried making a USB install from scratch and it wouldn't load until I removed the mSATA. Obviously the mSATA is creating problems for the boot process for whatever reason. I think I will be getting a new SSD to mount in the internal location where my Time Machine HD was mounted and install it there. I noticed that after booting to the USB installer the mSATA will not be recognized even if I insert. Is there anyway make it recognizable after boot or would it have to be inserted before the boot process? Thanks!

Edit: Was able to install on a new SSD and when I reattached the mSATA I used disk utility first aid and the drive booted normally afterward. All is well with my machine again!

Edit: Was able to install on a new SSD and when I reattached the mSATA I used disk utility first aid and the drive booted normally afterward. All is well with my machine again!

Good news ! (You should have been able to do the same from the USB installer which can launch disk utility ...)

Hey all, I'm a total nub to this scene and decided to try this out with the NUC. I created a fresh installer using UniBeast 6.0.0 from the El Capitan app, and then installed Clover using instructions in this thread after booting and installing from my flash drive. Everything but analog audio appeared to be working properly with minimal tweaking (used the plist that was included in post 262, and the kexts from there as well). However, I've noticed that when my NUC goes to sleep the NIC stops working and will not come back until I do a restart. I've tried leaving the driver in kexts/10.11 and also tried installing it to SLE directly using kext wizard.

Any ideas? I have tried to scour the thread but I've read about 20 or 30 pages of posts and haven't seen a reference to that issue.

Also, tried the two analog fixes in the thread (the one included in the essentials pack and the one Sebinouse posted) and neither of them give me analog out.

Again, this is on ElCap. If you all suggest I start over, and install yosemite then upgrade, I'll be glad to do it. Also not above just grabbing a USB to GbE adapter and a USB sound card if that's what has to happen :)

Well, I reinstalled from scratch and still lose ethernet upon wake from sleep and still have no sound via analog. I am using the plist and kexts from 262 and tried the link a few pages back for audio patching but just got a ton of permissions errors. In the plist I set FixShutdown true and changed SMBIOS to the mac mini 7,1 entries with a mini serial number. App store and iTunes work but iMessage didn't, though I understand that's a completely different sort of hack and I don't care much to fix it.

In the meantime I ordered a usb nic and usb sound card. Guess I will wait until more people get on ElCap.

Just one more thing: ethernet appears to be disconnected after sleep but that isn't a big issue with 'such a low power build' as Minihack puts it in the post cited below. Just make your NUC never sleep and that's it. This issue is common with real macs too, so why bother.
Thanks Minihack and others for this great and helpful tread.:headbang:

The Ethernet issue is well documented and it was pretty clear that the drivers available would need to be experimented with for you to try to find what works best for you (in the end, do you need to sleep such a low power build if ethernet access is more important for you?). I am sorry I cannot help you with this part as I do not use ethernet or have a home LAN network. It is regrettable that after testing it seems we are not at a 100% solution there.

I had similar issues and installed first on the additional SATA drive and simply cloned it to the mSATA with SuperDuper. However, direct install to mSATA works too, fresh install as well as upgrade.

Just one more thing: ethernet appears to be disconnected after sleep but that isn't a big issue with 'such a low power build' as Minihack puts it in the post cited below. Just make your NUC never sleep and that's it. This issue is common with real macs too, so why bother.
Thanks Minihack and others for this great and helpful tread.:headbang:

Thanks for your post. Glad to know it is a known issue and I didn't just mess something up. I will report back if the usb ethernet adapter works when I receive it tomorrow.

Thanks for your post. Glad to know it is a known issue and I didn't just mess something up. I will report back if the usb ethernet adapter works when I receive it tomorrow.
I'm too late to propose you a better solution: a mPCIe card which you could have installed in a slot next to the mSATA. I have installed Azurewave AWNE773 which is actually Atheros AR9280 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual WLAN mPCIe AR5BHB92 and works natively, out of the box. Refer to the NUC installation guide how to insert and fix it.
Even better solution would have been Azurevawe AW B037H combo card with with bluetooth (Atheros AR5B195 AR9285 AR3011 Half MiniPCIe Card 802.11N Wifi Bluetooth 3.0).

About sleep, I never had such an issue. To investigate furthermore you can give a look at "Console.app" and try to understand what is happening here.

About audio, the script I made has always been working on my NUC since I posted it here. El capitan brings new security features. You have to be able inject / patch / load custom kexts to make it work (CsrActiveConfig 0x3 is fine), AppleHDA.kext has to be in /SL/E and you have to rebuild caches prior to reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back