Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/AC
CPU
i3-4170
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm hoping that someone may be so kind as to provide a little advice regarding how I might best migrate files (user accounts, apps, settings, etc.) from an existing hack which uses Ethernet only for network access (I never installed Wi-Fi as the machine was sitting next to the router).

The friend that I built it for has now purchased a new (2020) MacBook Air that only has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. My understanding is that in order to be able to use Apple's Migration Assistant both machines require to be on the same wifi network (obviously not possible since there is no wifi on the source machine).

If this is the case what would be the best means to make Migration Assistant work. I could, presumably, make a Time Machine backup (via ethernet) to a media server that I have available and then use this as the source for Migration Assistant. However I have heard that MA is not terribly reliable over wifi.

Is there a connector that I could use that would allow me to directly connect the source machine to the new MBA (e.g. ethernet to Thunderbolt)? What other options do I have to migrate the data from the old machine?

Appreciate any input or advice.

I'm hoping that someone may be so kind as to provide a little advice regarding how I might best migrate files (user accounts, apps, settings, etc.) from an existing hack which uses Ethernet only for network access (I never installed Wi-Fi as the machine was sitting next to the router).

The friend that I built it for has now purchased a new (2020) MacBook Air that only has two Thunderbolt 3 ports. My understanding is that in order to be able to use Apple's Migration Assistant both machines require to be on the same wifi network (obviously not possible since there is no wifi on the source machine).

If this is the case what would be the best means to make Migration Assistant work. I could, presumably, make a Time Machine backup (via ethernet) to a media server that I have available and then use this as the source for Migration Assistant. However I have heard that MA is not terribly reliable over wifi.

Is there a connector that I could use that would allow me to directly connect the source machine to the new MBA (e.g. ethernet to Thunderbolt)? What other options do I have to migrate the data from the old machine?

Appreciate any input or advice.

Hi there.

A good question.

A few years ago I did something similar using a USB Data Transfer cable. They usually either have a bump in the cable, or one end is larger than the other.

This one also has a handy USB-C connector:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3BRRP5/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I don't know for sure if it will work for your purpose, but maybe something like it?

:)

EDIT:

PS - I think you can use a CAT5 transfer cable. They differ from standard network cables in that they allow data transfer both ways. I have one in my parts-box, it's yellow to signify it's different. Not sure where I bought it. I understand though that your main machine probably uses it's only Ethernet port for Internet.

Last edited:
Hi there.

A good question.

A few years ago I did something similar using a USB Data Transfer cable. They usually either have a bump in the cable, or one end is larger than the other.

This one also has a handy USB-C connector:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y3BRRP5/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I don't know for sure if it will work for your purpose, but maybe something like it?

:)

EDIT:

PS - I think you can use a CAT5 transfer cable. They differ from standard network cables in that they allow data transfer both ways. I have one in my parts-box, it's yellow to signify it's different. Not sure where I bought it. I understand though that your main machine probably uses it's only Ethernet port for Internet.

Thanks.

I've ordered a USB-C to USB-A (female) connector from Amazon. I'm hoping that this will allow me to connect the USB external drive that holds the TM backups of the old machine since Migration Assistant can apparent copy the files from the TM backup set.

I'll let you know if this works!

Thanks.

I've ordered a USB-C to USB-A (female) connector from Amazon. I'm hoping that this will allow me to connect the USB external drive that holds the TM backups of the old machine since Migration Assistant can apparent copy the files from the TM backup set.

I'll let you know if this works!

Well, the migration worked - eventually!

Had a couple of false starts but finally managed to get everything across to the new machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back