Contribute
Register

Memory corrupted after longer sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
After making due with disabling sleep on my system almost since building it last fall, I finally decided to try replacing RAM. I had been using the Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB kit (BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00) that I'd bought following the October 2014 Buyer's Guide. I replaced it with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB kit (F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL) that's on the memory compatibility list for my board. In order to get the new RAM recognized at 1600MHz I had to enable XMPDetection and Trust in my Clover Config.plist. After five days without shutting down and multiple sleep/wake cycles each day: no crashes.

I haven't tested running my old Crucial RAM with the changes to XMPDetection and Trust in Clover Config.plist—I don't think I will—but those changes might be worth trying for anyone else experience this problem, just in case.

Following up: After running with the G.SKILL RAM for a while, my system is much more stable running with sleep than with the Crucial RAM, but unfortunately there is some lingering instability, though the symptoms are a bit different than previously.

With the Crucial RAM I was having crashes after sleep daily (or more), I've regularly been running with the G.SKILL RAM for 5–6 days through many sleep/wake cycles without crashes. I didn't experience my first crash until almost two weeks after installing the new RAM. All together I've experienced three (maybe four) spontaneous reboots (similar to what I had with the Crucial RAM) since installing the G.SKILL RAM; I've also had three or so crashes/reboots when shutting down. But I'm not longer having the crashes at boot than I sometimes had running the Crucial RAM.

Overall, with the G.SKILL RAM, crashes have been infrequent enough to allow me to keep sleep enabled, which is a huge improvement for me over the Crucial RAM. I haven't had time to engage in further troubleshooting, but my experience certainly suggests that there is some hardware dimension to this problem.

Well, I bought the same G-Skill DIMMs, based on your initial impression. It is now very clear that this may alleviate, but certainly does not resolve the problem. Too unstable to be acceptable.

Tested with Clover "trust" flag, as well as all the mumbo-jumbo commands lying around. No worky.

I'm convinced that buying different RAM is pointless.

Anyways, hope El Capitan resolves this outrageous bug!

Beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to report AND including your config.plist.

Installing el GM as we speak to a test machine, to learn the ropes of upgrading. I'll report myself in a week's time.

Curious: VBox, not the HFS efi driver?

Ok ladies and gents. Here is my solution.
  • When you use i7 4790k processors or similar on z97 chipset, you need to first locate the real macs using this same setting.
  • Turns out only 1 mac do use this processor and chipset: iMac 15,1
  • So change smbios to iMac 15,1. If using nvidia card you'll get black screen so before do this. Don't forget to touch /System/Library/Extensions to clear cache.
  • Install latest FakeSMC, because smbios and smc work together, so better have the latest version https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads
  • Then when running proper iMac 15,1 smbios with latest FakeSMC.kext, delete custom SSDT for power management, because it needs to be regenerated to work with the new smbios. And rm -rf ~/Library/ssdtprGen to delete previously cached data.
  • Gen new SSDT with https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh
  • Finally place back the new SSDT.aml to its usual place in clover or other bootloader. You need to rename ssdt.aml to SSDT.aml (just in case).
Reboot and enjoy a fully working power management and with no more sleep issues. Why this works ? Because now, the system is being treated with the right parameters. As iMac 15,1 uses the exact same processor and chipset and with the correct tweaked SSDT from latest ssdtPRGen.sh v15.1, system runs smoothly, as it should.

Hi Rimkashox,

I have a fully working Hackintosh using multibeast classy install. I used to had some freeze and sleep trouble, but since i change some things in the bios, everything working fine. (Post Install with multibeast: dsdt free, audio 1150, Ethernet 2200 and the rest is auto so mac pro 3,1)

I tried the Clover way but not easier as MBeast so i gave up because the MBeast install was working good after the Bios changes.

Meanhow, i would like to improve the system by setting up the iMac 15,1 smbios.

I tried it with Multibeast (DSDT Free, Audio 1150, Ethernet 2200, and iMac15,1 in Customize/System Def) and i get the black screen.

So i read the "this" page and all your tips but i can't find the AppleGraphicsControl.kext and the rest and i don't know where to put your newgen Fakesmc... So i'm basically lost. I read pages before and after and i can't figure out how and what to do.

So what do i have to do to make iMac System Def 15,1 working with my Nvdia ? Or, what am i supposed to do to adapt your guide with my multibeast system ?

Sorry for my poor english from Belgium.

I hope you'll be able to help me. Have a nice day and/or night.

Antoine

Fresh 10.11 install on my Z97N rig, same memory curruption as before on Yosemite.

This is getting out of hand!

My experience, too, is that El Capitan by itself does NOT resolve the issue.

If memory serves me right, there was similar Yosemite trouble in Z77 motherboards, resolved by disabling "CPU PLL overvoltage" in the BIOS.

So, my current plan of attack is:

- remove SMBIOS info from Clover plist (apart from my SN#) -> let Clover assign iMac 14,2
- update to El Capitan 10.11.3 beta
- play with PLL settings in the BIOS (very esoteric subject)
- install toleda's HDA patch

I'm sure that something, somewhere, makes the difference between go and no go.

Hi Rimkashox,

I have a fully working Hackintosh using multibeast classy install. I used to had some freeze and sleep trouble, but since i change some things in the bios, everything working fine. (Post Install with multibeast: dsdt free, audio 1150, Ethernet 2200 and the rest is auto so mac pro 3,1)

I tried the Clover way but not easier as MBeast so i gave up because the MBeast install was working good after the Bios changes.

Meanhow, i would like to improve the system by setting up the iMac 15,1 smbios.

I tried it with Multibeast (DSDT Free, Audio 1150, Ethernet 2200, and iMac15,1 in Customize/System Def) and i get the black screen.

So i read the "this" page and all your tips but i can't find the AppleGraphicsControl.kext and the rest and i don't know where to put your newgen Fakesmc... So i'm basically lost. I read pages before and after and i can't figure out how and what to do.

So what do i have to do to make iMac System Def 15,1 working with my Nvdia ? Or, what am i supposed to do to adapt your guide with my multibeast system ?

Sorry for my poor english from Belgium.

I hope you'll be able to help me. Have a nice day and/or night.

Antoine

Hey man, sorry for the late reply... AppleDevicePolicy.kext is in /System/Library/Extensions the system folder is hidden, you can access it via the command line with open /System/

However everyone, after upgrading to el capitan, I had to switch back to iMac14.2 and re-gen ssdt, iMac15,1 wasn't letting the nvidia web driver work for my GTX 750, even after modding AppleDevicePolicy.kext and rebuilding kextcache with csr turned off.

System remains stable for now.

Cheers and good luck to everyone.

Solved it for me.

My motherboard has 4 slots for DDR3. Running just two sticks of DDR3 led to memory corruption and error messages after sleep. I had read in other posts that memory could be causing the problem, so I purchased two new sticks of memory compatible with the motherboard. So now I have 4 sticks of DDR3 and haven't rebooted all week. Sleep is working like a champ. I can not explain this. I don't know if it is having 4 sticks of memory (all slots full) or putting in the new memory, but everything is working great now. Before, when I left for an extended period I just turned the machine off because I knew sleep wasn't going to work. The RAM I bought was this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009M0TCK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Again, I can not explain this nor does it seem to make any sense, but no more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back