Contribute
Register

Melt's G5 mods - Two complete, LianLi and MountainMods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Melt's G5 mods - one complete, one near completion

Yeah I wanted to use a transistor but I'm not finding any useful schematics for it and I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to things like that.

Appreciate it!

New idea for the hdd activity light - I'm thinking of desoldering and moving the power led light over slightly, getting a second super bright white LED and parking it right next to the original one. Basically it would blink brighter when there was hdd activity.

Thoughts?

i like the led idea....or u could get a multicolor led(3 leads)
most iv seen are green and red
use green power red hdd?
dvd drive switch can be had at radio shack check ell heads build for part number..

Attachments

• IMG101.jpg
    IMG101.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 403

Cool, I'll look for a button.

Nothing new on the hard drive light, but I did get my 80mm fans (finally!). Last night I cut up the stock fan grill to make ones that will fit on the 80s.

IMG_3684.jpg

Man, those are gonna look AWESOME back there!
IMG_3686.jpg

Need 8 screws and nuts and that will be done!
IMG_3685.jpg

I'll get the proper hardware today and get them bolted up tonight. Very cool.

Finally sourced the right size screws for the twins in the rear. I'm flat impressed with the Enermax enlobal bearing fans I purchased. They move more air and are quieter than the 120mm Antec fan that was on the heatsink prior.

Final pics unless I get ambitious and build an air guide shroud for the heatsink. Enjoy!

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

WOW just WOW! very nice job man came out beautifully!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Im also planning on using the 2 fan grills cause they do look awesome! Im just deciding if I should use a mobo tray or not. I know its simpler, but I do not wanna see the big metal piece in the back. Im still getting the tray either way and separate both pieces, the actual mobo base and the pci slots with I/O port. Im just concerned about the weight, Ive seen that other users use JB Weld to attach the metal pieces together, then they sand them and and do a nice paint job. I want to do this but I have zero experience... hmmm.. Any help or advice much appreciated.

Congrats again on the build! :clap:

P0w

pahoran said:
WOW just WOW! very nice job man came out beautifully!

Im just deciding if I should use a mobo tray or not. I know its simpler, but I do not wanna see the big metal piece in the back.

Thanks! For what it's worth a tray with a backplate will be more "futureproof" than anything else as it's truly ATX now. I weighed the pros and cons of each config and decided I'd rather have a nice brushed aluminum sheet back there than try to match silver paint to the bead blasted finish of the case. There is no glue or jbweld or anything in my cases so you dont have to worry about them being fragile which is another huge plus.

Gotta think - who's going to look back there? You. If you can live with an aluminum sheet I highly recommend the mountain mods tray. It's a quality piece and goes together so nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back