Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
this is very possibly a simple/easy fix that i just haven't been able to find, i recently swapped out a geforce for a radeon 7870 (may be same for all 7xxx cards?) and it would hang during booting. reading around, found suggestions to change bios to onboard for primary graphics, and that worked. however, as I multi-boot I would like to see the menus and such when booting rather than timing and guessing. does anyone know the magic incantations to enable me to boot with pcie as primary display?

does anyone know the magic incantations to enable me to boot with pcie as primary display?
Not possible if you want displays connected to both graphics engines.
Your choices:
1. AMD primary, no Intel display
2. Intel primary plus AMD display

i don't want anything (and don't have anything) connected to the intel port. i only want to use the radeon, but i want it to work from boot through desktop. sorry if i was vague!

Not possible if you want displays connected to both graphics engines.
Your choices:
1. AMD primary, no Intel display
2. Intel primary plus AMD display

option 1 is what i am looking for, thanks.

BIOS, disable integrated graphics.

that's what i'm trying to get working. when i have it using pcie for primary display in bios (as opposed to integrated, i don't think i can "disable" integrated graphics further). maybe the terminology i used is not what you are used to, but when i use the radeon for boot it hangs in the middle of loading osx. if i turn integrated to primary but don't plug anything in, then it boots fine but i can't see anything during boot, hence why i think it is something to do with the radeon.

might be as simple as a different boot flag, but i haven't been able to find something that worked. i'm using clover if it matters (although i suspect it doesn't).

this still does not work with 10.9.3 update. i have experimented with various boot options (in clover) and none of them seem to have any effect. i can work around this issue by booting blindly with onboard set to primary graphics in bios. my current "method" for dual booting is to simply use timing: hit power, wait X seconds, press left arrow Y times, hit enter and hope it boots into alternate os.

just to re-iterate because apparently i was unclear... i *only* want to use the amd video card, i *do not* want to use onboard for anything at all ever. i have two screens but they are both connected to the amd card, and i don't believe dual monitors plays into this at all.

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am unable to boot to OS-X with the 7870 with IGD disabled. However, booting to OS-X with 7870 works with IGD enabled but Windows no longer recognizes the 7870. Argh!

i have not yet found a solution. however windows 8.1 does recognize my 7870, i just don't have a screen hooked up to my onboard port. when booting i don't get any display, just count seconds, hit left 4 times, and enter... if done right, it will boot windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back