Contribute
Register

macOS Sonoma is Now Available From the Mac App Store

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-10-01 в 17.41.09.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-10-01 в 17.41.09.png
    921.1 KB · Views: 51
Dr.Hofmann
Good question about the BT, for some reason it took a few restarts to get it going. Has anyone else experienced this?. Also another thing, clicking the Wi-Fi tab in system settings reboots the computer, I can select networks from the menu bar though!. Reported it NootedRed but they said report it Itlwm, just like a call center!.

Stay with Ventura until there's a better solution than what the OCLP team is currently offering. It may be a week, maybe a month IDK. What's the rush to upgrade ? Keeping your Wifi and BT services working is probably more important than the Sonoma upgrade.
While waiting is a fine idea, I will be surprised to learn that a superior approach to Broadcom compatibility is found than OCLP.

There's likely something in protected code related to AppleSi Secure Enclave and wifi security (where T2 is AppleSi for Intel) that is forcing this incompatibility.

If a macOS protected service depends on a HW security feature that doesn't exist, what other options are there than modifying the OS or faking that HW?

Modifying the OS is the essence of the OCLP approach to keeping unsupported Macs going in spite of outdated and missing HW. It is based on end-running the OS via EFI to inject alternate code into the protected part of the OS. The injection requires SIP be disabled.

Apple has for years warned that running SIP disabled will eventually be impossible. The whole point of their design to prevent 3rd party manipulation of the protected portion of the OS. So when the limit is reached, it's the end of the line on SW injection workarounds. The time is growing near.

Hoping for a better workaround to Broadcom than OCLP sounds misguided to me — unless there's another approach than SW injection?

My guess is the end of the line is now being reached: that OCLP is the only workaround and by macOS 15 SIP will not be optional.

—I hope I'm wrong!

Waiting is always a fine idea, until you can't wait anymore.

Stay with Ventura until there's a better solution than what the OCLP team is currently offering. It may be a week, maybe a month IDK. What's the rush to upgrade ? Keeping your Wifi and BT services working is probably more important than the Sonoma upgrade.
Have a skylake setup myself in which I have replaced the wifi with Broadcom for native support. To make-up my mind I attempted to replace the Broadcom with the native intel 8260 one that came with the board. Big kudos and gratitude to the dev team that has made intel wifi support possible. While I was pleasantly surprised with the way the card was working in Ventura, bluetooth was okay for input (trackpad); audio was hit n miss - too much interference in my setup atleast. There were few gremlins here and there. However being used to the Broadcom solution I am still contemplating whether to upgrade to Sonoma with Kext using intel or roll-back to Broadcom card and be in Ventura. At the moment I am inclined towards using Broadcom/Ventura.

This is an eminently practical bit of advice. Thank you. That's exactly what I intend to do. I waited until Big Sur 11.6 before I moved on from Catalina because Big Sur required a new Radeon video card. There's nothing that's essential in Sonoma so I can afford to wait. :clap:

Hello everybody, Sonoma seems to have tight rules on supported multimedia devices. I'm using Rode VideoMic NTG for streaming and it seems to ignored by Sonoma. Here is explanation of details of this issue:

Do someone knows how to disable MFI certification check in MacOS? Some kext/patch?

Back