Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sparco did you need to use IGp doing this?

se this pos copy /paste from macrummmors

"New MacBook Pro's Dedicated AMD Graphics Chips Are 'Significantly' Faster and Support Dual 5K Displays
Monday November 14, 2016 10:35 am PST by Joe Rossignol
Apple dropped Intel's integrated Iris Pro graphics in favor of dedicated AMD graphics across its entire new 15-inch MacBook Pro lineup, resulting in performance improvements over previous models. Perhaps more interestingly, the switch to AMD provides expanded external display support that desktop users have patiently waited for.

LG-UltraFine-5K-MacBook-Pro.jpg

As Andrew Cunningham at Ars Technica explains, AMD's Polaris-based Radeon Pro 450, Radeon Pro 455, and built-to-order Radeon Pro 460 GPUs in the new 15-inch MacBook Pro support up to six displays, whereas Intel's integrated GPUs affixed to the logic board can drive a total of three displays.

The expanded support enables the new MacBook Pro to drive two of Apple and LG's new UltraFine 5K displays at 60Hz simultaneously. Intel's GPUs can't because, due to bandwidth limitations of the DisplayPort 1.2 spec, the two 5K displays technically function as four displays. This method is known as Multi-Stream Transport (MST).When you hook one of LG's 5K monitors to one of the new MacBook Pros, what you're actually seeing on the screen is two pictures stitched together to make a single seamless image. This is because the version of the DisplayPort spec supported by Intel's GPUs and almost all monitors these days—version 1.2—doesn't have enough bandwidth to drive a 5K display at 60Hz all by itself. […] Apple is actually pushing two DisplayPort 1.2 streams to the monitor over the single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

There’s nothing wrong with this method, except that it cuts down on the number of external displays your computer can support. Intel’s integrated GPUs can drive a total of three displays, but you use up two of those three streams to drive one 5K monitor and one of them to drive the laptop’s internal display. AMD’s GPUs support up to six displays, so you can use two of those connections for one 5K monitor, two of them for the other 5K monitor, one for the laptop’s internal display, and still have one left over for yet another monitor if you really wanted to use one.Apple could have used Nvidia's faster Pascal-based GPUs, which support DisplayPort 1.3, but Thunderbolt 3 and most monitors do not support the higher-bandwidth spec yet. In the meantime, Nvidia's GPUs can only drive up to three displays beyond the main MacBook Pro screen — not enough for dual 5K displays over MST.Apple will have more flexibility again when DisplayPort 1.3 becomes more common. Those future laptops will be able to drive two 5K screens plus a laptop’s internal screen using just three DisplayPort streams instead of five. For now, though, if pushing two high-end 5K screens at once was a design goal for Apple, AMD was the only way to go.In terms of performance improvements, Cunningham benchmarked the mid-range 2.7GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro with the Radeon Pro 455 graphics chip to determine just how much faster the notebook truly is compared to the 2016 12-inch MacBook and older MacBook Pros released over the past few years."

So if apple dropped Intel IGP why we have troubles and need set Igp to this work.

2steelfox only MacBook Pro and Mac Pro have support Polaris-based cards, hackintosh - clover haven't. In new macOs updates like 10.12.1 we got AMDRadeonX4100.kext for "Normal" acceleration, but primary iGPU needed for clover injection. Maybe in future iMac with Polaris cards... ???

EDITED

Last edited:
2steelfox only MacBook Pro have support Polaris-based cards, Desktops haven't. In new macOs updates like 10.12.1 we got AMDRadeonX4100.kext for "Normal" acceleration, but primary iGPU needed. Maybe in future iMac with Polaris cards... ???

Or Vega 10, it's already in the 9500controllerkext. That would be nice if AMD gets it right and it can compete with a 1080, but from past experience I fear it will be on par with a 980ti instead, dohhh,

2steelfox only MacBook Pro have support Polaris-based cards, Desktops haven't. In new macOs updates like 10.12.1 we got AMDRadeonX4100.kext for "Normal" acceleration, but primary iGPU needed. Maybe in future iMac with Polaris cards... ???

That is not completely true .... you can put a RX460 card in a Mac Pro and it will run right out of the box -- these do not have helper IGPUs; needing an IGPU card is a Hackintosh problem, the Clover boot-loader folks are working on it and making progress.

I can report that with macOS v. 10.12.2 Public Beta 2, Clover v. 3922, inject-ati = true (and a sort of bios update for my Gigabyte RX 460 4 GB card) that the performance is better than in 10.12.1. There are still some glitches in multi-monitor support [the mouse jerkiness is fixed, but redrawing under the mouse 'dirty regions' in some Apple software apps is still not completely fixed while other non Apple apps do not have the issue.] Audio via DP and HDMI is horrifically bad. [I am hoping the reviewers will finally get around to attaching multiple monitors to the thunderbolt/usb-c ports and trying actual work with audio and video instead of talking about dongles and touchbars.]

2jerry2345 , all I said about hackintosh and clover use

2jerry2345 , all I said about hackintosh and clover use

Nice job reporting the clover 3911 fix. I got tired of using the "new" versions because they have added so many things and using the old fixes was causing problems. I went back to the 3700 series clover bootloaders the last few test installs.

I think Jerry may have misread your post and confused it with the previous posters question about igpu still being needed. That's good news, about the clover inject ATI is a lot easier than the kext mod. Is the 4100kext also loading with Dayman? I see the amdradeonframebufferkext, and the 4100kext briefly. Do you have benchmarks, with this loading?

That's good news, about the clover inject ATI is a lot easier than the kext mod. Is the 4100kext also loading with Dayman? I see the amdradeonframebufferkext, and the 4100kext briefly. Do you have benchmarks, with this loading?

I'd like to know this as well. So are we saying RX 480 would compete against the 1080 and RX 490 against the 1080Ti? I am hoping to retire my GTX 760 to AMD OOB solution for Polaris/Vega/Navi. Got tired of waiting for Pascal driver.

I'd like to know this as well. So are we saying RX 480 would compete against the 1080 and RX 490 against the 1080Ti? I am hoping to retire my GTX 760 to AMD OOB solution for Polaris/Vega/Navi. Got tired of waiting for Pascal driver.
No, the RX 480 is not supposed to perform on par with a GTX 1080. Look at the specs and prices on Newegg. The GTX 1080 8GB also costs about $400 more than the RX 480 8GB version. One of the higher end Vega GPUs will likely be a competitor.

Here's a spec for spec comparison from GPU Boss.com The GTX 1080 numbers are on the left side. RX 480 on the right.

TRS 2016-11-14 at 4.58.21 PM.jpg

The RX 480 competes with and usually beats the 970, the 980 beats the RX 480. The RX 490 is rumored to compete with the 1080 and 1080 ti. But we were told the RX 480 would compete with the 10x0 series cards but it turned out you needed two, huh?

The RX 490 or Vega 10 is rumored to have 16gb of HBm2 memory and should beat a 1080, but we will have to see what the price will be, if it's around $500-$600 that would be nice and it would bring down the Nvidia cards to competitive levels.

Nice job reporting the clover 3911 fix. I got tired of using the "new" versions because they have added so many things and using the old fixes was causing problems. I went back to the 3700 series clover bootloaders the last few test installs.

I think Jerry may have misread your post and confused it with the previous posters question about igpu still being needed. That's good news, about the clover inject ATI is a lot easier than the kext mod. Is the 4100kext also loading with Dayman? I see the amdradeonframebufferkext, and the 4100kext briefly. Do you have benchmarks, with this loading?

4100kext always loading Dayman! , benches is +-5fps (valley tested only) , min fps is better with new config

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back