Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not the kext which applies DAYMAN as framebuffer - it is CLOVER. And courious: DAYMAN fits perfectly on my RX480, cause i don't have any connectorspatch for DAYMAN within my config.plist - just using "Inject ATI", nothing else.
omg words game , kext , buffers...

yes , only inject ATI work flawlessly

MacOS Sierra 10.12.2 Public Beta 3 is available.

There are some small changes in the AMD9500Controller, the AMD4100 kext, the AMDFramebuffer, and the AMDSupport kexts.

Last edited:
omg words game , kext , buffers...

yes , only inject ATI work flawlessly
Are you saying that you don't need to include 0x67DF1002 in 4100 kext?

UPDATE:
  • Clover 3922
  • OS 10.12.1
  • HIS RX 470
  • iGPU as Primary
  • Inject ATI + no fake ID
1. Without 0x67DF1002 in 4100 kext: DP now works even plugged in during boot, which as impossible before (load or not load 0x67DF1002 + Baffin), unfortunately no acceleration.
2. With 0x67DF1002 in 4100 kext:
+ With DP plugged in during boot: stuck at apple logo
+ Without DP plugged: boot is ok, but OS won't recognize any port from GPU, ie. I plug in DP or HDMI and there is no new monitor show up.

UPDATE 2: looks like with Dayman FB, DP works but not HDMI.

Last edited:
My config with two AMD cards

1.R9 380
2.RX 480
3.intel HD 4600

-iGPU primary (512mb) (MAX)
-kext 4100 with edit 0x67DF1002
-clover 3922 with inject intel and ati
-no fake ids

work on HDMI , DVI ports

2tvhung83 - try boot with HDMI on intel HD port, if "ok" , without lags, change cable to AMD , what do u see?

@sparco1987 thats my 2b test, with 0x67DF1002 in 4100 kext, and no connector plugged to GPU, boot is ok, but it won't recognize any port I plug into GPU afterwards (Display Preferences shows only 1 monitor from iGPU). One thing I noticed, when there is no acceleration, it tends to hang very often (even with nothing plugged into GPU). So I got to revert to:
  • 0x67DF1002 in kext
  • Boot with no connector to GPU
  • Inject ATI + Baffin FB + fake ID (optionally)
In other words, its kind of disable GPU and use iGPU, but I'm fine with it, I use macOS mostly for works.

I'd like to know this as well. So are we saying RX 480 would compete against the 1080 and RX 490 against the 1080Ti? I am hoping to retire my GTX 760 to AMD OOB solution for Polaris/Vega/Navi. Got tired of waiting for Pascal driver.

For gaming? NO with regards to 480.
The 480 is a midrange gpu.

I don't game and am really just concerned with FCPX performance.
In this user case, then YES. A 480 is way faster than a 980ti, and would probably then be way faster than a 1080 if it had mac drivers.

As for the 490, no one really knows yet. I'm guessing it would be amazing in FCPX and probably good for gaming, but probably won't beat a 1080ti in gaming, perhaps it'l compete with a 1080. It depends really if AMD improves it's efficiency. Apparently Nvidia introduced more efficient game rendering techniques used in mobile phone/tablet GPU's to their desktop GPU's and that's how they got such a big performance jump from the 700 to 900 series on the same manufacturing process node.
If AMD could do something similar, then yes their 490 could then probably compete with a 1080ti.

Edit:
And if you look at DX12, it seems to favour AMD architecture. Although Nvidia is currently using bigger GPU dies with more transistors so still beat AMD in gaming performance.

For gaming? NO with regards to 480.
The 480 is a midrange gpu.

I don't game and am really just concerned with FCPX performance.
In this user case, then YES. A 480 is way faster than a 980ti, and would probably then be way faster than a 1080 if it had mac drivers.

As for the 490, no one really knows yet. I'm guessing it would be amazing in FCPX and probably good for gaming, but probably won't beat a 1080ti in gaming, perhaps it'l compete with a 1080. It depends really if AMD improves it's efficiency. Apparently Nvidia introduced more efficient game rendering techniques used in mobile phone/tablet GPU's to their desktop GPU's and that's how they got such a big performance jump from the 700 to 900 series on the same manufacturing process node.
If AMD could do something similar, then yes their 490 could then probably compete with a 1080ti.

Edit:
And if you look at DX12, it seems to favour AMD architecture. Although Nvidia is currently using bigger GPU dies with more transistors so still beat AMD in gaming performance.

Before that I used R9 380 2GB, now RX 480 4GM with Final Cut X, performance is better. Not really GOD like , but faster , much faster....

It is not the kext which applies DAYMAN as framebuffer - it is CLOVER. And courious: DAYMAN fits perfectly on my RX480, cause i don't have any connectorspatch for DAYMAN within my config.plist - just using "Inject ATI", nothing else.

It's also loading "AMD Radeon RX 480" automatically in about this Mac.

Currently on Clover v. 3923. I have a MSI RX460 4GB. Do I need to check "Inject ATI"? Currently it shows as "Renderer: AMD Radeon HD Baffin Prototype OpenGL Engine" and AMD R9 XXX in the system profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back