Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sierra 10.12.1 using clover latest version and Sapphire RX 460 2GB.

When inject ATI set true, framebuffer automatically set to Acre and system recognized gpu name properly, but i got random freeze then it's logout, especially when open launchpad or clover config app.

When inject ATI false, framebuffer set to default and system recognized gpu as AMD R9 xxx. But it's stable, no random freeze.

Sorry for english

The R9 XXX is the default name for RX and some other fiji cards in the AMD9500kext, it can be edited manually to read as RX 460, RX 470, Rx 480. It sounds like you're stuck between the new clover set up and the old "native R9 XXX" formats. They are working to get the igpu for primary boot requirement fixed so you can use graphics in dedicated mode. It may also require you adding more clover injections like frame buffer patching using clover configurator. See Mork von Ork posts earlier, I think he provided a patch to inject recently.

Hi @Gigamaxx , could you recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3P9CKI/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 ? It looks like a reference model, but there is no DVI, which is weird. I'm wondering if it's compatible.
Yes, it works.
It says it supports 6x displays but has only 4 ports? I recall someone used this card and had success. The Powercooler Red Devil has the dvi port for a total of 5 ports. Personally, if you could get the Red Devil for the same price it has better coooling and the extra port, but it is larger than the reference cards. What I find strange is that my June 29th first release XFX reference card has been able to hang with these aftermarket overclocked and multi fan models. It's probably just a matter of time before it gets left behind.

I went with the Red Devil because it has a nice big cooler and has dual bios, one of which lets the card run a little hotter but much quieter.
Regarding temps btw as people seem concerned about such things. I don't know what they are as HWmonitor sensors don't seem to work with RX480's in macos, but the card doesn't seem to run that hot. Even if it was hot I wouldn't care, as my 5k imac GPU can often go to 105c in FCPX.
Personally I think 105 degrees seems insane, however Apple seem ok with letting the GPU get that hot. And I guess it must be else Apple would have a lot of dead imacs to replace which doesn't seem to be the case.

I went with the Red Devil because it has a nice big cooler and has dual bios, one of which lets the card run a little hotter but much quieter.
Regarding temps btw as people seem concerned about such things. I don't know what they are as HWmonitor sensors don't seem to work with RX480's in macos, but the card doesn't seem to run that hot. Even if it was hot I wouldn't care, as my 5k imac GPU can often go to 105c in FCPX.
Personally I think 105 degrees seems insane, however Apple seem ok with letting the GPU get that hot. And I guess it must be else Apple would have a lot of dead imacs to replace which doesn't seem to be the case.

Early on in Sierra betas before the public release the cards I tested would get hot near the 6-8 pin power input on the card. After the 4100kext got added the heat was much more balanced and the majority is now toward the output ports as it should be on my reference model. If you have a backplate you can carefully touch it briefly at various locations during a benchmark to see if its really hot. If your fans are accelerating, and slow after benchmarks then you're more than likely in normal temp ranges.

If I were looking to buy right now I'd go with the Devil, unless the case was a mini ITX. Then I would pick a reference size model.

Thanks Gigamax. I did feel the card during unigen bench and the backplate definitely feels hot, not super hot but hot.
Fans shut off pretty quickly after the benchmark, so I'm guessing it's not running excessive temps.

one thing to consider is cable management i like my power connectors at the rear of the card vs on the left side. 2nd factor is card length as as some of the 3 fan models will not fit in small cases.3rd is connectors can vary from manufacture to manufacture 4th some venders will sneak in another card with a different device id like asus so do your homework.

thank you @Gigamaxx , it helped a lot, unfortunately they're all gone after one night, now it pumps up to $264, will look for something else or wait for re-stock.

I've done the kext modification as mentioned by @Gigamaxx, my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8GB is recognized as R9 XXX in OS X 10.12.2 Public Beta, but unfortunately, the Valley Benchmark will not start.

I've installed the card into a Dell T20 with an HD P4600 integrated graphics; this integrated graphic was/is working flawlessly. Unfortunately, the UEFI/BIOS of the Dell T20 doesn't provide any options to set it to integrated graphic only.
Is this the cause for not being able to run the benchmark / not getting full acceleration?
Because during boot I got an output from the RX 470 all the time. If I only plug in my monitor to the integrated graphic, I get an error message for not using the dedicated graphic card which is installed on the system.

Clover 3911 give me great injection :

- only inject ATI in Graphics section , without fake id and framebuffer
- use iGPU in UEFi BIOS - Primary
so, right framebuffer chosen by MacOs automatically , ATY Dayman.

old version clover won't select it.
Снимок экрана 2016-11-14 в 23.10.46.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back