Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will find out as soon as they arrive on shelves. Let's hope they come for the holiday shopping season. Dec 13 is the anticipated announcement by AMD about something, let's get our hopes up, and be ready for disappointment at the same time.

Yeah, I hope them to add RX 480 natively in Mac OS. Btw does RX 460 works natively in Mac Pro or Desktop?

We gave credit. Nice one Gigamaxx, good eyes and congratulations on being the global news ;)
http://www.game-debate.com/news/219...-polaris-10-xt2-gpus-spotted-in-driver-update

Thanks, thats a good video by the way, and welcome to Tonymac!

I found some naming you may be interested in.
NAMES CROPPED.png Venus Pro, Venus XT, Venus XTX.

Also, for now the Ram in the 4100Kext is listed as DDR3, DDR4, GDDR5, HBM. No reference to HBM2, or GDDR5x(HBM?).

Yeah, I hope them to add RX 480 natively in Mac OS. Btw does RX 460 works natively in Mac Pro or Desktop?

Actually, the 480s are running well in Sierra, especially the Betas. The 460s run natively with dedicated graphics in real Mac pros, and with thunderbolt Pcie boxes in other real Macs. We have to use IGPU as primary display or integrated graphics to use either the 460s or 480s. The 480 require a little more effort but its not hard its Hackintoshing!

Since the GTX970 has issues enabling full acceleration in Photoshop and a few glitches in Camera RAW and Lightroom when using the GPU I'm looking into the RX480 since AMD always had better OpenCL support.
I'll wait it out and see if it gets OOB support to avoid boot (igpu) and sleep issues. I've got time but I doubt it'll ever work OOB.
For me the GTX970 does not work OOB since it requires the Nvidia driver and when used with Adobe apps it's a pain at times due to glitches.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the best most recent cards working OOB from AMD and Nvidia are R9 280X and GTX780?
I know the GTX760 isn't because I had it and lost GPU support in Lightroom, that's why I got the GTX970.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the best most recent cards working OOB from AMD and Nvidia are R9 280X and GTX780?

i think the latest nvidia gpu supported and used by apple is gk104 (gtx 780m) which is used in gtx 770. there was a time when gtx 780 required webdrivers (because of gk110), i don't know if that has changed. but gtx 760 is also gk104 so it should work OOB, but everything except reference cards are a kind of a risk.

GTX 780 and Titan are OOB since 10.8.3 (this has also been the last time Apple has added support for new Nvidia cards).
GTX 780Ti and Titan Black require WebDrivers.

The GTX 760 works perfectly fine in OS X with stock drivers, but Adobe has removed support in their apps. That's something that can happen with virtually all non-Apple GPUs.

Ok, see attached files ...I don't have DSDT , only clover and SSDT (CPU power management, sound HDMI via Intel HD, USB3.0 XOSI) patches by piker-alpha.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 260
  • SSDT-1.aml
    113 bytes · Views: 112
  • SSDT-2.aml
    505 bytes · Views: 96
  • SSDT-XOSI.aml
    168 bytes · Views: 85
  • ssdt.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 133
Actually, the 480s are running well in Sierra, especially the Betas. The 460s run natively with dedicated graphics in real Mac pros, and with thunderbolt Pcie boxes in other real Macs. We have to use IGPU as primary display or integrated graphics to use either the 460s or 480s. The 480 require a little more effort but its not hard its Hackintoshing!

Well Mac OS still doesn't support ellesmere accelerator instead of Baffin accelerator. I already have RX 480 but it just perform as same as HD5870. Im using Mac Pro 2010 btw. Yeah it is running well but not 100%.

Also, I recently experienced that the computer start not to support RX 480 without any modification after I just turn on the computer. Yeah it is weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back