Contribute
Register

macOS Sierra PB: Need testers for new AMD Radeon drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Mac OS still doesn't support ellesmere accelerator instead of Baffin accelerator. I already have RX 480 but it just perform as same as HD5870. Im using Mac Pro 2010 btw. Yeah it is running well but not 100%.

Also, I recently experienced that the computer start not to support RX 480 without any modification after I just turn on the computer. Yeah it is weird.

From what I can tell from people with real mac pros, is that the 480 doesn't perform anywhere near the level of a 480 on a modern hackintosh.
People with Mac pros appear to be posting bruce x times of 20-30 seconds where mine (with 6700k) does it in 13-14 seconds.
I've also heard the same with unigine etc.
It's almost as if the card is running like an rx460 instead of like a 480.

Apart from the igpu thing, my 480 seem just as stable as my m295x in my 5k retina, only it performs a lot better.

Ok, see attached files ...I don't have DSDT , only clover and SSDT (CPU power management, sound HDMI via Intel HD, USB3.0 XOSI) patches by piker-alpha.

Hello sparco1987,

You need to completely turn off the HD4600 card to stop the FCPX crashes. You are currently using it to get audio via the HDMI port. Before doing anything make sure you have copies of everything you work on, so that you can put it back if you want to.

In your config.plist, remove all of the HDMI and audio patches. You will also need remove the SSDT file you put in place for the sound HDMI via Intel HD. (If you have forgotten which one it was, you can safely remove all of them and put them back one at a time until you find out which of the three it is -- most likely it is not SSDT-XOSI.aml. (Do NOT throw them away.)

Additionally, set inject-intel to false and inject-ati to true in the Clover config graphics section (you have to actually specify that in your config.plist file). Reboot and try 10.3 again.

Note: You will have slightly longer boot / shutdown times and you will be facing the blind boot process many have discussed here. Also, you will not have HDMI audio for some time until that is worked out, but there are some options that will give you optical audio and audio via the motherboard jacks.

HTH.

ps. just to be sure you did not install any audio kexts in other places to get HDMI audio did you?

EDIT: This also is guessing you make all of the changes Gigamaxx and the others have worked out for your RX480 card.

Well Mac OS still doesn't support ellesmere accelerator instead of Baffin accelerator. I already have RX 480 but it just perform as same as HD5870. Im using Mac Pro 2010 btw. Yeah it is running well but not 100%.

Also, I recently experienced that the computer start not to support RX 480 without any modification after I just turn on the computer. Yeah it is weird.

Polaris 10 is ellesmere, and Ellesmere is referenced in the kexts in the Beta versions. In the 4100kext, Fiji, tonga, Polaris 10, Vega 10 all have very similar layouts and Baffin having the most entries seems to share or incorporate all these others into it.

From what I can tell from people with real mac pros, is that the 480 doesn't perform anywhere near the level of a 480 on a modern hackintosh.
People with Mac pros appear to be posting bruce x times of 20-30 seconds where mine (with 6700k) does it in 13-14 seconds.
I've also heard the same with unigine etc.
It's almost as if the card is running like an rx460 instead of like a 480.

Apart from the igpu thing, my 480 seem just as stable as my m295x in my 5k retina, only it performs a lot better.

I wonder if they're getting 30 bit color, or if you need a Skylake or Haswell igpu for that mode?

Hello sparco1987,

You need to completely turn off the HD4600 card to stop the FCPX crashes. You are currently using it to get audio via the HDMI port. Before doing anything make sure you have copies of everything you work on, so that you can put it back if you want to.

In your config.plist, remove all of the HDMI and audio patches. You will also need remove the SSDT file you put in place for the sound HDMI via Intel HD. (If you have forgotten which one it was, you can safely remove all of them and put them back one at a time until you find out which of the three it is -- most likely it is not SSDT-XOSI.aml. (Do NOT throw them away.)

Additionally, set inject-intel to false and inject-ati to true in the Clover config graphics section (you have to actually specify that in your config.plist file). Reboot and try 10.3 again.

Note: You will have slightly longer boot / shutdown times and you will be facing the blind boot process many have discussed here. Also, you will not have HDMI audio for some time until that is worked out, but there are some options that will give you optical audio and audio via the motherboard jacks.

HTH.

ps. just to be sure you did not install any audio kexts in other places to get HDMI audio did you?

EDIT: This also is guessing you make all of the changes Gigamaxx and the others have worked out for your RX480 card.

Thx @jerry2345, I just turn off Intel injection and GFX@2>iGPU patch to temporary FCPX "normal" work...

P.S: when I use intel HD 4600 via HDMI - FCPX works perfectly

Last edited:
@Gigamaxx if I pick up a 5450 and install it in the second PCIe slot, will that work natively and give me sleep and quicker boot time, while still letting the RX 480 do the heavy lifting with performance? For $35 if that fixes my current problem I will happily spend the money.

@Gigamaxx if I pick up a 5450 and install it in the second PCIe slot, will that work natively and give me sleep and quicker boot time, while still letting the RX 480 do the heavy lifting with performance? For $35 if that fixes my current problem I will happily spend the money.

Maybe the 8400gs, the Nvidia card along with my RX 460 has been flawless in sleep mode lately. I was going to test it by switching slots to see if the sleep action is the same. With the 8400 in the morning after Deep sleeeeep I hit any key and the power button lights up I hit it lightly and the screen pops right up to what ever was open and everything works great. Its just like my MacBok 6.1. AMD has been plagued with sleep issues in Sierra even with supported cards. I will retest my AMD 5450 just to be sure.

Funny, I was just contemplating using the Nvidia card that way in the 2nd slot last night.

Maybe the 8400gs, the Nvidia card along with my RX 460 has been flawless in sleep mode lately. I was going to test it by switching slots to see if the sleep action is the same. With the 8400 in the morning after Deep sleeeeep I hit any key and the power button lights up I hit it lightly and the screen pops right up to what ever was open and everything works great. Its just like my MacBok 6.1. AMD has been plagued with sleep issues in Sierra even with supported cards. I will retest my AMD 5450 just to be sure.

Funny, I was just contemplating using the Nvidia card that way in the 2nd slot last night.

Interesting! So to make that work, do you inject Nvidia as well?

Only my first slot is x16. I think I have to keep my RX 480 in that slot, don't I?

Thx @jerry2345, I just turn off Intel injection and GFX@2>iGPU patch to temporary FCPX "normal" work...

P.S: when I use intel HD 4600 via HDMI - FCPX works perfectly

Could you elaborate some more on what you are having trouble in using FCPX?

Turning off the Intel injection and the audio patches is consistent with turning off the HD4600 card for FCPX 10.3 or newer.

Interesting! So to make that work, do you inject Nvidia as well?

Only my first slot is x16. I think I have to keep my RX 480 in that slot, don't I?

No injection it gets picked up natively.

Yes, if you put it in slot 2 it only has 4 pice support lanes versus 16 in the #1 slot. You lose some performance by doing this, but if it works (8400gs) in the #2 slot most of the support will go to the RX card 12 out of 16. Most cpus only support 16 lanes total some of the X99 Xeon chipsets support more than 16 something like 32 which would be best for this kind of setup and testing, unfortunately that costs Mucho dinero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back