Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave To Be Released September 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also is designed for the T2 chip which Hackintosh doesn’t have.

It has caused corruption issues with NVME, SSD and HDD drives. I agree that it’s here to stay and we need to work out fixes for it, but there are users with older systems that still perform better in HFS mode.
APFS using from start , no issues, nvme

I don't understand why people are trying to avoid APFS. It is here to stay and has some really important features that the 30+ Year old HFS+ doesn't. It is also optimized for SSDs.

The most useful feature for me of APFS is file system snapshots. It has saved me a few times when I installed or messed something up that was preventing the system from booting up. Booted to recovery and revert to previous snapshot. Back to normal again. Awesome feature.

With HFS+, I would either have to restore from Time Machine or do a full restore with CarbonCloneCopy.

The most useful feature for me of APFS is file system snapshots. It has saved me a few times when I installed or messed something up that was preventing the system from booting up. Booted to recovery and revert to previous snapshot. Back to normal again. Awesome feature.

With HFS+, I would either have to restore from Time Machine or do a full restore with CarbonCloneCopy.
using it with trim enabled ?

Can you do updates with this kext in HFS mode? Has anyone done so, please report?
Yes you can, the only quirk I found by keeping this on the EFI partition, is this - Because you are emulating the characteristics of a platter Hard Drive, you cannot enable Trim on a SSD drive with the kext in place. You will have to remove the 'Unsolid.kext' to enable Trim but remember to replace it for every update or your SSD drive will be converted to APFS.

Dark Mode is cool, and the Vibrant mode which gives you sunrise to sunset variation is awesome. If your holed up in a basement somewhere you can tell whether it’s day or night by the desktop image.
Good one! LOL

I don't understand why people are trying to avoid APFS. It is here to stay and has some really important features that the 30+ Year old HFS+ doesn't. It is also optimized for SSDs.

Originally, and I've seen nothing to suggest this has changed (?), my M2 Samsung 960 PRO SSD simply doesn't do APFS well. Believe me if it did, I'd embrace it immediately, but until then (unless it's now well supported??), HFS+ is required - it's not merely stubborn resistance or reticence on my part to upgrade to new tech.

Originally, and I've seen nothing to suggest this has changed (?), my M2 Samsung 960 PRO SSD simply doesn't do APFS well. Believe me if it did, I'd embrace it immediately, but until then (unless it's now well supported??), HFS+ is required - it's not merely stubborn resistance or reticence on my part to upgrade to new tech.

I really doubt it's APFS' fault. You're doing something wrong.

I have the 970 Pro M.2 and have ZERO problems. Before that I had the 960 Pro M.2 (both 1TB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back