Contribute
Register

macOS Mojave To Be Released September 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean there will be no option for HFS + on any kind of drive with Mojave ? Would need to stay with HS for the option to use HFS + ?

I hope not, IM site has a workaround already to update with HFS. Have you noticed that with HFS you don’t have the preboot volumes in clover but with apfs You do? Could have something to do with that being detected at the root level to qualify for the updates?

You can just install with HFS mode and then download the newer releases and reinstall. But if it becomes a problem I’m sure this fix will become popular. This is/was occurring with the dev betas not certain about the public betas but I think it’s happining with that as well lately. There are some cool fixes for legacy systems going on already even a boot arg to bypass system verification.

I hope not, IM site has a workaround already to update with HFS. Have you noticed that with HFS you don’t have the preboot volumes in clover but with apfs You do? Could have something to do with that being detected at the root level to qualify for the updates?

You can just install with HFS mode and then download the newer releases and reinstall. But if it becomes a problem I’m sure this fix will become popular. This is/was occurring with the dev betas not certain about the public betas but I think it’s happining with that as well lately. There are some cool fixes for legacy systems going on already even a boot arg to bypass system verification.
You can also use supeduper to convert between apfs and hfs+ which both run properly on Mojave

It seems last Public Beta is GM. Is anyone using it as a daily driver?

I have some really old hardware. Mojave on HFS+ Works visibly faster then on APFS. I would really like to save some money on upgrading hardware this year. So, this means I shall download combo updates each time an important update is pushed? I hope not.
Are there Preboot volumes on HFS+? I did not knew that. On Disk Utility, HFS+ partitions appear directly on the hdd, but APFS partitions appear inside a container. So, there seems to be a fundamental difference between the two file systems. I see differences on verbose mode. On shut down, on APFS is says more then twenty times a message like ”System is shutting down, stop any big work.”, on HFS+ the process is much shorter. My machine is prone to a block on shutdown, on HFS+ this would likely accur less then on HFS+.
The Clover I base my installation on is the one for High Sierra on Multibeast and I guess I shall use it even after the Mojave Multibeast is released, the OS being patched with High Sierra kexts via a tool made for unsupported Macs. An APFS future feature may make the OS unbootable, this is why I prefer to stick to HFS+. Worse case scenario, I shall download combo updates each time.

Or you could just use Unsolid.kext which prevents the conversion to APFS.
On High Sierra, automatic conversion to APFS it has never happend to me, during a system update. I used the latest Clover and FakeSMC always. Would this be included there, one way or another?

Like most I resisted using APFS but has since accepted it in my installs also the nuisance of hiding unwanted volumes in the clover boot menu which I managed with a bit of hair pulling; so Ive moved on with the times. For those that still want to avoid the APFS conversion, just place the Unsolid.kext as P1LGRIM suggested in the 'Other Folder' on the EFI Partition on your usb install drive and you're all set, also placing and keeping the kext on the EFI Folder of the install, will avoid conversion in all future updates. I've attached the said kext to the post.

Attachments

• UnSolid.kext.zip
    13.8 KB · Views: 128
Like most I resisted using APFS but has since accepted it in my installs also the nuisance of hiding unwanted volumes in the clover boot menu which I managed with a bit of hair pulling; so Ive moved on with the times. For those that still want to avoid the APFS conversion, just place the Unsolid.kext as P1LGRIM suggested in the 'Other Folder' on the EFI Partition on your usb install drive and you're all set, also placing and keeping the kext on the EFI Folder of the install, will avoid conversion in all future updates. I've attached the said kext to the post.

I don't understand why people are trying to avoid APFS. It is here to stay and has some really important features that the 30+ Year old HFS+ doesn't. It is also optimized for SSDs.

I don't understand why people are trying to avoid APFS. It is here to stay and has some really important features that the 30+ Year old HFS+ doesn't. It is also optimized for SSDs.

It also is designed for the T2 chip which Hackintosh doesn’t have.

It has caused corruption issues with NVME, SSD and HDD drives. I agree that it’s here to stay and we need to work out fixes for it, but there are users with older systems that still perform better in HFS mode.

Can you do updates with this kext in HFS mode? Has anyone done so, please report?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back