Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Core™ i5-6600K
Graphics
Palit GTX 1050Ti
Mac
iMac
I don't understand why people are trying to avoid APFS. It is here to stay and has some really important features that the 30+ Year old HFS+ doesn't. It is also optimized for SSDs.
same here.

I used it since it was out. I don't get any problem with Samsung EVO SSD.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77 UD3H
CPU
I5 2500K
Graphics
GTX 980ti
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Do any of you know if you can install Mojave directly over Sierra? I've skipped High Sierra so far, but might be cornered into upgrading, was thinking of just skipping High Sierra since we're late in the game here.
Same Question here

Motherboard
Z370M-DS3H
CPU
i7-8700K (OC 5Ghz)
Graphics
RX 580
Do any of you know if you can install Mojave directly over Sierra? I've skipped High Sierra so far, but might be cornered into upgrading, was thinking of just skipping High Sierra since we're late in the game here.
Same Question here
Yes, it's possible.

Follow my comment to create a Mojave Install dmg and once it's done, mount it and run the app.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/need-help-creating-usb-drive-for-install.260243/#post-1809037

When your computer will reboot, you must select the "Install Mojave" in Clover partition selection.

Don't forget to backup your data before doing it, in case something goes wrong.

I actually did it on a clone of my previous system to be safe, and it worked right away.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
ASRock-Z97 EX6
CPU
i7-4790K OC @ 4.8GHz
Graphics
Vega 64LC + HD4600
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
Is it possible for gtx 1050i?
I don't know but i bet yes.
Unfortunately no ...

Apple have changed the API used to render the MacOS UI from Open GL/CL to Metal 2. So only Metal 2 capable GPU's/IGPU's can be used with Mojave.

Right now the only GPU's that have Metal 2 Drivers are those that have been used in Apple products which are :

Intel IGPU HD4000 and onwards
ATI/AMD Radion GPU's
Nvidia Fermi and Kepler based GPU's (6 & some 7 series)

We don't know if Nvidia are going to support Metal 2 with new MacOS drivers as there has been no announcement...
Nvidia are notoriously slow at releasing updated MacOS drivers ... when the Pascal based GPU's where released we had to wait around 10 months for Nvidia to deliver working Web Drivers, so don't expect Nvidia Mojave drivers to appear anytime soon.

It is possible to patch the current Nvidia web drivers and get them working with Mojave but they only work as a basic VGA display adapter with no GPU acceleration so MacOs Mojave runs like a pig.

Best option now for Nvidia 8/9/10 series based Hacks is to stick with High Sierra

if your impatient and absolutely can not wait then then the only option is to either use Intel IGPU or jump ship and ditch Team Green (Nvidia) and switch to Team Red and get a AMD Radeon RX 570/580 or Vega 56/64 GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Really interesting thread, this one, as I'm not a beta-tester.

A few things have occurred to me while reading it:

APFS - if this is now mandatory in Mojave, does this mean it will now install for Hard-Drives as well as SSDs? Pointless question I guess because Mojave specs-in Mac Minis etc. So have Apple managed to get rid of the speed degradation APFS causes over HFS?

I'm guessing quite a lot of software will either need updating or go under in Mojave. The ability to run 32-bit programs has finally gone, I take it? The number of warnings I currently get indicates I'm going to have to replace a lot of software.

Trim - I would like to know the advantages of using the macOS version, given that most modern SSDs now have Trim embedded in their firmware. Once I learned my own SSDs had garbage collection and Trim on board, I disabled macOS Trim. No problems so far and it's been a while ...

:)

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm guessing quite a lot of software will either need updating or go under in Mojave. The ability to run 32-bit programs has finally gone, I take it? The number of warnings I currently get indicates I'm going to have to replace a lot of software.
You can always keep at least one of your older builds on Sierra or High Sierra to run the 32 bit software. I've still got my original Z68 system on Mavericks.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-Designare
CPU
Core™ i5-6600K
Graphics
Palit GTX 1050Ti
Mac
iMac
Unfortunately no ...

Apple have changed the API used to render the MacOS UI from Open GL/CL to Metal 2. So only Metal 2 capable GPU's/IGPU's can be used with Mojave.

Right now the only GPU's that have Metal 2 Drivers are those that have been used in Apple products which are :

Intel IGPU HD4000 and onwards
ATI Radion GPU's
Nvidia Maxwell based GPU's (6 & 7 series)

We don't know if Nvidia are going to support Metal 2 with new MacOS drivers as there has been no announcement...
Nvidia are notoriously slow at releasing updated MacOS drivers ... when the Pascal based GPU's where released we had to wait around 10 months for Nvidia to deliver working Web Drivers, so don't expect Nvidia Mojave drivers to appear anytime soon.

It is possible to patch the current Nvidia web drivers and get them working with Mojave but they only work as a basic VGA display adapter with no GPU acceleration so MacOs Mojave runs like a pig.

Best option now for Nvidia 8/9/10 series based Hacks is to stick with High Sierra

if your impatient and absolutely can not wait then then the only option is to either use Intel IGPU or jump ship and ditch Team Green (Nvidia) and switch to Team Red and get a Radeon RX 480/580 or Vega 54/64 GPU.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks.