Contribute
Register

macOS 10.13 Hackintosh on HP OMEN ce003na

Status
Not open for further replies.
EC Reset is hold power button for 15s before boot with all cables unplugged, right? That always allows the laptop to turn on if unplugged and the power button isn't working.

And I'll try that.
Yes hold power with power unplugged for about 6/7 seconds. At least for me.

Yes hold power with power unplugged for about 6/7 seconds. At least for me.

Yeah, 15 seconds for me. I'm using macOS with the default driver (no Nvidia web drivers) just to see if I would be able to manage updating to 10.14 without the web drivers, and it's bloody painful. Even typing this causes the entire chrome window to disappear with every keystroke, and the whole computer lags really badly! I honestly need Nvidia and Apple to release something lmao.

The line I uncommented didn't do anything, and trying with just the patch didn't work either. Just the same results as before.
Sounds like your in same boat as me for battery, none of the patches fully work and needs looking into Ive tried but a bit beyond me. Needs debugging with ACPIDebug.kext and ACPIBatteryManager.kext (debug version) which requires knowledge of patching your dsdt with markers that appear in console allowing you to trace the problem but you need some understanding of the acpi spec and what 'should' be happening... without knowing what is wrong with the logic in the code you cant figure that out.

I hope it can be figure out...

Yeah, 15 seconds for me. I'm using macOS with the default driver (no Nvidia web drivers) just to see if I would be able to manage updating to 10.14 without the web drivers, and it's bloody painful. Even typing this causes the entire chrome window to disappear with every keystroke, and the whole computer lags really badly! I honestly need Nvidia and Apple to release something lmao.
You could go back to high sierra, pretty sure drivers work there.

Sounds like your in same boat as me for battery, none of the patches fully work and needs looking into Ive tried but a bit beyond me. Needs debugging with ACPIDebug.kext and ACPIBatteryManager.kext (debug version) which requires knowledge of patching your dsdt with markers that appear in console allowing you to trace the problem but you need some understanding of the acpi spec and what 'should' be happening... without knowing what is wrong with the logic in the code you cant figure that out.

I hope it can be figure out...

Yeah. At this point it sounds like you have a much better chance at debugging it than me, given I haven't really looked into ACPI, but if you would want to do it together I'd be happy to give it a go.

You could go back to high sierra, pretty sure drivers work there.

Yeah, I'm on HS at the moment and was just testing without the web drivers enabled to see how 10.14 would be. Unusable would be an understatement.

Yeah. At this point it sounds like you have a much better chance at debugging it than me, given I haven't really looked into ACPI, but if you would want to do it together I'd be happy to give it a go.

Yeah, I'm on HS at the moment and was just testing without the web drivers enabled to see how 10.14 would be. Unusable would be an understatement.
Enjoy, some good bedtime reading there https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/ACPI_6_2.pdf

Okay, I've done some investigating and discovered the following:
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext is unable to read the CurrentRate correctly (it is firstly read as fCurrentRate = -1, then it's read as fCurrentRate is ACPI_UNKNOWN), so it is adjusted to 1, meaning the average rate is 1. I imagine this is why the OS is unable to calculate a remaining time.
  • fCurrentCapacity = 1664 and fCurrentVoltage = 16308 never change - they always remain at the same value it was the first boot after an EC Reset.
Additionally, I've found the DSDT methods which are called when pressing 1) the brightness keys and 2) the airplane mode key. Since I'm using an Nvidia-powered laptop, fixing the brightness will be very difficult, and is something I aim to look into doing last. Having the airplane mode key work would be nice though if I am able to do that somehow.

Okay, I've done some investigating and discovered the following:
  • ACPIBatteryManager.kext is unable to read the CurrentRate correctly (it is firstly read as fCurrentRate = -1, then it's read as fCurrentRate is ACPI_UNKNOWN), so it is adjusted to 1, meaning the average rate is 1. I imagine this is why the OS is unable to calculate a remaining time.
  • fCurrentCapacity = 1664 and fCurrentVoltage = 16308 never change - they always remain at the same value it was the first boot after an EC Reset.
Additionally, I've found the DSDT methods which are called when pressing 1) the brightness keys and 2) the airplane mode key. Since I'm using an Nvidia-powered laptop, fixing the brightness will be very difficult, and is something I aim to look into doing last. Having the airplane mode key work would be nice though if I am able to do that somehow.
The problem with the battery kext not being able to read properly will be because the dsdt is not patched properly something is missing/not patched therefore it's only partly functioning.

The problem with the battery kext not being able to read properly will be because the dsdt is not patched properly something is missing/not patched therefore it's only partly functioning.

Yeah, exactly. The thing is that I can't quite work out what - I've read over the EC code (smart battery is managed by the EC so I wouldn't think there would be any relevant code outside of it), and I can't see anything which matches any problem RehabMan mentioned in his guide.

Yeah, exactly. The thing is that I can't quite work out what - I've read over the EC code (smart battery is managed by the EC so I wouldn't think there would be any relevant code outside of it), and I can't see anything which matches any problem RehabMan mentioned in his guide.
Yeh it seems we are covering all bases in terms of Rehabman's guide but something else is causing issues.. the fact that the buggy UPBS patch makes things partially work makes me think maybe its this section which needs work or other parts need rewriting. Not totally sure, ive been looking out for people in similar situations for months hoping someone will drop that vital patch or clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back