Contribute
Register

macOS 10.12.4 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that. This seems such a grey area - getting DRM video to play has been my longest-running problem. I was surprised it worked at all!

I will say though that I *didn't* do the Terminal commands. They seem too extreme to me. I remember trying them many moons ago and they made no difference but caused log-in problems. I've never been very happy with these kexts because no-one has clearly explained (for the average person) what they do.

Did you have video playing on the same hardware previously?
What system definition are you using? -- I'm using iMac14,2 and outputting through the GT740's HDMI port.
Do you have the iGPU enabled in BIOS but first init. PCIe ?

Good luck :)
Yes, I've had it working prior to the 10.12.4 update so was able to watch HD movies through iTunes (I can get around the problem to some extent by tieing in some of my various movies through links between other services I've bought them through (like Ultraviolet, Vudu, Amazon Prime, Disney Movies Anywhere, etc.) and then watch them that way or by booting into my Windows 10 drive for the ones that are only on iTunes. Oh and I believe I'm using the same system def but haven't checked it in a while. I'll look when I get home later.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Sorry to read about your mega BIOS crashes. I will try another update to 10.12.4 later - and with that try a different system definition. Closest to hardware is 17,1 but I use 14,2 on advisement. Realise I'll need a couple of texts in place to stop black-screening if I go for 17,1 ...

Biggest headache in the 3 to 4 update is that emails in Apple Mail are upgraded and won't open again back in 10.12.3

:)

I've found mismatched profile hardware can cause issues with preference pane items in the past. 17.1 is fine you can use the AGDP fix 1.3 rather than the kexts which I think are broken anyway... the AGDP fix is a very mild hack of the kext and doesn't have any known complications?

There is nothing to update. Check that the SSDT is not corrupted, that it is not conflicting with Clover graphics injection settings and that AppleHDA is loading on HDEF even if you don't use built in audio.
Thanks. The SSDT is not corrupted because I downloaded a copy of the latest version available on github. How do I check whether or not it is conflicting with Clover graphics injection settings?

Thanks. The SSDT is not corrupted because I downloaded a copy of the latest version available on github. How do I check whether or not it is conflicting with Clover graphics injection settings?
Could you post an archive containing '/clover/acpi/patched' folder and your 'config.plist'?

I've found mismatched profile hardware can cause issues with preference pane items in the past. 17.1 is fine you can use the AGDP fix 1.3 rather than the kexts which I think are broken anyway... the AGDP fix is a very mild hack of the kext and doesn't have any known complications?

That's good to know. Thank you. Will try later. :)

Before 10.12.4 I was on an older pre 10.12 Clover (3859), I tried to upgrade once or twice but run into problems and since now my motherboard is ancient I didn't care enough to solve them, didn't have any issues anyway. I wasted some time now when I upgraded Clover to eventually realise that I now needed to move my kexts from "Other" to the now formed 10.12 directory. I updated the fakesmc kexts while at it.

I don't think the wrong SMBIOS profile is the cause for your black screen but it wouldn't hurt to have the proper one in there.

Well a re-install of 10.12.0 and then update Clover to r4045, followed by an update to 10.12.4 seems to have things up and running again ... Mouse Preference pane just went Pop! again though... Defo something to do with 10.12.4 as it worked perfectly 10-mins ago with 10.12.3 :eek:

EDIT:

Right, tried changing system definition to 17,1 and adding the NvidiaGraphicsFixUp kext (along with Lilu etc). The system booted as a 17,1 and graphics fine BUT mouse pane still crashed. What's more Date/Time also went skew-wiff. 5:32am year 2040 (can't remember exact date!) only this time was limited to macOS rather than BIOS. Mouse is staying responsive so far...

Another oddity is that I uninstalled the Nvdia driver via it's System Prefences pane (and it has now gone) BUT I am still getting accelerated graphics on the OS X drivers!

Getting stranger and stranger ... :crazy:

Last edited:
So my hassle now is that I install the newest Clover, install the update, and I get a log in loop at start. Here's something strange - when I go into System Preferences and change it so that I don't need to enter a password when macOS starts, it still asks for one....
To complicate things, I'm on an old X58 board with a Xeon 6 core, and a Maxwell graphics card for which I need alternative drivers. All seems good, except I can't get past the log in. Another weird thing is that all of the normal log in notifications appear too - Little Snitch has started, Dropbox has started, etc, notifications that you wouldn't normally see until you get to your desktop.
Yes, I know it's time to upgrade, but that board has been wonderful - it owes me nothing. I'd still like to see if I can keep going though. Any clues about the log in screen, wise ones?

hi guy no problems at all with the update, I did it from App Store, I'm using 2 monitors and everything works just fine....
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 10.44.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 10.46.31 PM.png

OK, I've made a few posts to this thread about the problems I've had with 10.12.4 - and finally I'm going back to 10.12.3 and will await 10.12.5 instead, then try again. Don't know why so many of these problems are unique to me. Didn't want to do a complete fresh install because some of my software has been "activated" and the license would potentially be lost.

My system has been rock-solid for 6-months. No crashes or kernel panics at all, only the odd small problem when something is updated.

The catalogue of problems with 10.12.4 is summarised as follows:

1) Magic Mouse became erratic. Thought it was BT or aerial. No. Tested in Windows. Tested another mouse.

2) Mouse Preference Pane crashed every single time it was clicked-on. Error report seemingly pointing to an inaccessible address.

3) Graphics - most peculiar. I have uninstalled the Nvidia graphics - all 16 kexts have gone - but I no longer need Nvidia web-drivers to get accelerated graphics.

4) Apple Mail updates all your messages to a new version which is NOT readable by 10.12.3's version or earlier. A big surprise this because it isn't just a Hackintosh problem, it will affect all Mac users. There should surely have been a pop-up message warning about the upgrade going to be done.

If you make the upgrade and then decide against it you can get your mail back by doing this before downgrading to 10.12.3 - select each On My Mac mailbox, Right Click/Option Click on it and choose Export Mailbox. You can select more than none. Choose a destination. Once you've reverted to 10.12.3 Import Mailboxes from File menu, but don't choose the Apple Mail option, choose the Mail in MBox format one near the bottom.

4-1/2) Photos updates your photo library too and it can no longer be opened in 10.12.3 !

5) Clover needs updating to a v2.4 r4xxx release because kext injection from their EFI kext tree doesn't work for 10.12.4. Sure, you can put the kexts in L/E instead, but upgrading Clover is easy enough. You have to do this BEFORE the upgrade though.

6) Problems with Frequently Visited web-pages not showing in Safari.

7) System freezes. Not minor. Complete lock-up. Initially every 15-30 minutes needing a reset to clear. They became less when I did yet another 10.12.3 install then upgrade to 10.12.4. What would happen is that the mouse-pointer would freeze solid. No keys moved anything. The Caps-Lock light worked on/off as intended so it looked like USB was still working. Reboot only way out.

8) BIOS crash. Advances to a date in year 2040 causing apps not to load and web-pages too. There's a separate thread about this problem.

So there we go. Quite a story! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back