Contribute
Register

MacMan's Build: ASUS TUF Z390-PRO GAMING - i9-9900K - Vega 64 - Updated for 10.14.6 and NVRAM Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
By your post, I guess you already updated to Catalina. Any observations beside HDMI and DisplayPort issue you mention. I'm using HDMI anyway and would like to update.

Got some good advice to change the SMBIOS to a late 2012 Mac Pro to get DisplayPort working - all good now!

Hopefully an update later will allow me to move to 19,1 again as the iMac Pro matches the specs better.

If you don't care about DisplayPort - id stick with the 19,1.

As far as updates went - I saw a lot of hard drive activity so basically went to bed to let it finish. Just give it a bunch of time to get done.

Got some good advice to change the SMBIOS to a late 2012 Mac Pro to get DisplayPort working - all good now!

Hopefully an update later will allow me to move to 19,1 again as the iMac Pro matches the specs better.

If you don't care about DisplayPort - id stick with the 19,1.

As far as updates went - I saw a lot of hard drive activity so basically went to bed to let it finish. Just give it a bunch of time to get done.

Hi @Ledfoot I had display port issues after installing Catalina, just letting you know the issue disappeared on its own, before the supplemental update. I am now all good, running iMac19,1 fully updated. Haven’t seen any other issues so far @johnap987 - I have the Plus version, though.

Oh, a side note about built in Bluetooth. I run Win10 Pro on a separate SSD. After getting it up and running, when I rebooted into OS X, BT was working. (Catalina broke it, BTW, and I haven’t bothered to try to fix it.)

I'm thinking of building this machine. Question however:
- why the 2 Ports Hub USB 2.0 to 9 Pin Header Mainboard Panel Bracket?

edit: neverrrrrminnnnd...

Last edited:
Anyone able to get fan speeds showing in iStats? I have temps but no fan speeds.

Also wondering how to get full USB Power, i.e. fast charging for iPad and iPhone. The threads on setting up USB Power are baffling. To be clear charging works just only at 500mw

Last edited:
Ok, going to have a go at this build. Will be my 3rd. When everything goes well, my stuff arrives tomorrow.

EDIT: Stuff arrived, only thing that's missing is the GPU...will arrive tomorrow. Keeping you posted.

Last edited:
After a few hiccups (install issues due to my own 'impatience' amongst other things) I have an up and running, very smooth 19,1

For what it's worth as info for others: If you encounter installation issues with i.e. stuck at 2 minutes in the Mojave install or a very slow post install boot sequence (progress bar under Apple logo taking ages and stalls), try detaching your AMD gpu and switch to the internal graphics card via the backplate.

Must admit: easiest build/install I've ever done. Now let's see what this baby can do in terms of Motion Graphics ;)

Thanks to the community!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 00.20.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 00.20.04.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 166
Do I need a dedicated GPU if I'm not playing games or mining cryptocoins? What is dedicated GPU for in a Mac? Will the computer be faster? I am editing 4K video and RAW photos perfectly fine with integrated Intel UHD 630 GPU.

I did the 10.15.1 update today and now my MSI Vega 56 card won’t work.
Everything works fine until the graphics driver load portion of the MacOS boot then the screen goes black. I.E. I get the Apple logo and the boot progress moves along about 2/3 of the way the the screen goes black. The OS actually boots in the background I just have no display.

Normally the screen flashes black at the 2/3 point of the boot progress bar for a few seconds and the Vega card fan spins up for a few seconds which indicates the drivers have loaded. Then the Apple logo and progress bar come back And the boot finishes.

if I remove my Vega card and inject Intel graphics from Clover I am able to use the MoBo HDMI port and get display working.

Any ideas on how to fix this and get my Vega card drivers to load?

I tried the Inject ATI option in clover but that did nothing.

Cheers,
GTI

Seems Latest WEG fixes this.

Last edited:
Hi, @MacMan,

I've created a bootable USB drive with UniBeast as said in the installation guide. I have the same Asus TUF z390M Pro Gaming motherboard. When I started the installation, it stuck in the screen with an Apple logo and an empty loading bar that never fills...

Then, I found your thread and read the "UEFI version 2203 or later the system will hang" sentence. So how can I overcome this, can you help?

I'm in this conditions:
-I have a bootable USB, that created with UniBeast (Mojave), contains MultiBeast
-A dead MacBook Pro. RIP
-A very old HP laptop (that I'm writing now)

I have no access to any other Mac at this point. Can anything be done via Clover boot screen by typing or selecting?

Cheers,
Goril

Last edited:
Hi, @MacMan,

I've created a bootable USB drive with UniBeast as said in the installation guide. I have the same Asus TUF z390M Pro Gaming motherboard. When I started the installation, it stuck in the screen with an Apple logo and an empty loading bar that never fills...

Then, I found your thread and read the "UEFI version 2203 or later the system will hang" sentence. So how can I overcome this, can you help?

I'm in this conditions:
-I have a bootable USB, that created with UniBeast (Mojave), contains MultiBeast
-A dead MacBook Pro. RIP
-A very old HP laptop (that I'm writing now)

I have no access to any other Mac at this point. Can anything be done via Clover boot screen by typing or selecting?

Cheers,
Goril

Hi everyone,
Any direction will be great
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back