1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First of all, Happy Xmas to all :)
Secondly - I wonder if anyone can see a problem with the following: I have a fairly ancient 2011 MacBook Pro with a fried discrete graphics card. A couple of years ago I followed some instructions online that involved booting into ArchLinux to enter code into the EFI that basically switches off the fried GFX and gives me a very usable machine instead of a brick. Now I also have three hackintosh desktops, so buying Acronis 2019 is very probably worth it for maintaining those, but I wonder if it would also help me with upgrades on the real MacBook?

The whole booting into ArchLinux thing was way outside my comfort zone, but at the time I had nothing to lose . . . I'd rather avoid repeating the experience if possible. That said I'd really like to upgrade the internal HD to an SSD and, since the Superdrive died recently, put the current 1TB HD into a DVD drive chassis thing. Also the MacBook is still on 10.11.6 as I've assumed that an upgrade to Sierra or higher will probably mess with the EFI partition? Of course the main volume is backed up/cloned with CCC - but presumably with Acronis 2019 I could clone this "coded" EFI onto the new SSD?
Anyone see any likely problems?

No need for any fancy software to backup/copy the EFI ..

Just mount it using Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter and copy the Entire EFI folder to a backup folder, you can then unmount the Source EFI and mount a target EFI and copy the EFI folder to it....easy peasy.

Cheers
Jay

No need for any fancy software to backup/copy the EFI ..

Just mount it using Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter and copy the Entire EFI folder to a backup folder, you can then unmount the Source EFI and mount a target EFI and copy the EFI folder to it....easy peasy.

Cheers
Jay

Hi there,

I must have around 15 EFI folders backed-up safely for future need. You're spot on :thumbup:. Just re-install macOS, or re-instate a clone, then copy an appropriate EFI into place in the EFI partition. Job done. Same for a repair. Saves disk space - and headaches - too.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back