CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I use a Crucial P1 1TB in my original Macbook Pro 12,1 since a couple of years and now the update from Big Sur to Monterey does not work. It says, that the firmware update is not possible, because the SSD is not compatible.

I searched around and found out, that the EFI Firmware is still 180.0.0.0.0, which means, that the EFI Firmware was never updated after the SSD swap with the P1.

The thing is, I don't have the original SSD anymore, I read that the EFI Firmware Update does only work with the original SSD. I tried also to remove the Crucial P1 and install it on an external hard drive, but it does not work too.

Any ideas, how can I install the latest EFI Firmware, without having an original Apple SSD?

Thanks

Hi, I use a Crucial P1 1TB in my original Macbook Pro 12,1 since a couple of years and now the update from Big Sur to Monterey does not work. It says, that the firmware update is not possible, because the SSD is not compatible.

I searched around and found out, that the EFI Firmware is still 180.0.0.0.0, which means, that the EFI Firmware was never updated after the SSD swap with the P1.

The thing is, I don't have the original SSD anymore, I read that the EFI Firmware Update does only work with the original SSD. I tried also to remove the Crucial P1 and install it on an external hard drive, but it does not work too.

Any ideas, how can I install the latest EFI Firmware, without having an original Apple SSD?

Thanks
i have moved your post to MacBook Pro forum

Thanks

Hi there.

I'm not an expert on MacBook Pros, however this article seemed to offer a way to do as you want. The answers come further down the page.

(You may have found this already, I realise).

https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...date-latest-macbook-pro-efi-firmware-manually

:)

Looks fine, EFI Firmware was updated successfully with the original SSD.

Then I switched back to the Crucial P1 and the update from Big Sur to 12.01 worked without any issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back