Contribute
Register

Mac Pro replica (late 2013) - low power design

Status
Not open for further replies.
What process did you follow for painting you build Mr. Target? What kind of paint did you use, and how many coats? Did you sand/prime it? I really like the top part you have made, looks very similar to the real Mac Pro. Does it not cause the case to heat up? What sort of temperatures does it run at?
Congratulations on a nice build, I hope mine turns out as good!

It was just an acrylic color from local hobby store, primer and color were about $12 both. I am not an painting expert, but I would recommend you to sand it with smooth sandpaper (especially two "seams", they have the tendency to pop-up after painting) then several layers of primer (light sand each to remove dust and stuff) and than at least 2 layers of paint. And it is really a good idea to spray it form proper distance (40cm or so), it allows you to achieve equal and smooth surface.
About temperature: I haven´t stress test it yet, but during normal use everything is icy cold :)

I love the top part! How much space is there left between the MB and the top plate?

Plenty :) Really, the vertical spacing is not issue at all. I have about 2cm between the motherboard and the bottom fan and about 2-3cm between the motherboard and the top part.

So a small SFX PSU like in JuanLobos build will not work under/over the mainboard, right?

I don't think it would... The SFX is 65mm tall. I think that would push the limits if what you could get in there. Fan+Mobo+PSU+space for cool top vent > what you have to work in.

So a small SFX PSU like in JuanLobos build will not work under/over the mainboard, right?

Hmm,and what about this: A fan located under the base, lets say in the 3D print or in the adjusted wooden legs. They do also slim versions of the 12cm, this should not be disturbing too much. Than a motherboard sitting on the bottom part with a PSU on the top. The PSU would blow the air into the solid top part (ideally made out of aluminum), located just few millimeters from the PSU, the air would than go to the sides and leave the case with the main airflow.
Just an idea.

BTW do you guys really need traditional PSU? How many Watts do you really need? Because there are PicoPSUs up to 200W. The power brick might be a problem thought.

Edit: //
Dschijn never mind the second suggestion, I just saw your rig in description and 200W must sound like and insult to you :lol:

@Mr.Target:

Does your external laptop brick make a high pitch noise when your system is shut off ? Mine first 120W birck does make such a noise and this a no-go. Right now i've ordered a 90W brick from another manufactor and hope this will not make such a noise.

But as far as i've tested right now the power consumption of my system is awesome. In idle state the system needs around 22 watts, while surfing the web via wifi around 25-30 watts. The highest mark i've reached so far was about 65 watts in geekbench :)

So I´ve finally decided on a passive CPU cooler. I´ve chosen Arctic Alpine 11 Plus, because it has a massive aluminum body and a very low price ($12 or so). I haven´t tried that with fan at all.

SAM_1951.JPGSAM_1952.jpgSAM_1959.JPG

I´m very pleased with temperatures! The bottom fan is set to 330 RPM and idle temp is about 40C (20C at room temp), during normal system use it will not exceed 50C. During stress testing the CPU I am not able to get over 64C - the truth is that then is not noiseless than, I´ve set a fan to spin more (800RPM) at 55C +.

I like this build more and more :)

@Mr.Target:

Does your external laptop brick make a high pitch noise when your system is shut off ? Mine first 120W birck does make such a noise and this a no-go. Right now i've ordered a 90W brick from another manufactor and hope this will not make such a noise.

But as far as i've tested right now the power consumption of my system is awesome. In idle state the system needs around 22 watts, while surfing the web via wifi around 25-30 watts. The highest mark i've reached so far was about 65 watts in geekbench :)

Luckily mine is silent at all times - and I am a big pitch noise hater too :D Hopefully the second one will be fine.
The power consumption is really good!

So I´ve finally decided on a passive CPU cooler. I´ve chosen Arctic Alpine 11 Plus, because it has a massive aluminum body and a very low price ($12 or so). I haven´t tried that with fan at all.

I´m very pleased with temperatures! The bottom fan is set to 330 RPM and idle temp is about 40C (20C at room temp), during normal system use it will not exceed 50C. During stress testing the CPU I am not able to get over 64C - the truth is that then is not noiseless than, I´ve set a fan to spin more (800RPM) at 55C +.

I like this build more and more :)

Very nice! You also get the bonus of being able to put the IO panel right in the centerline of the case. I have to have it a little offset to make room behind the logic board for the GPU.

Still struggeling with myself if I really want a GTX 760 in that build. Just a CPU should provide enough power, besides gaming. And there would be enough room for HDD/SDDs.

The cooler looks great Mr.Target! Maybe you could improve the airflow if you block the free space around the cooler, so that air is "forced" through the cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back