Contribute
Register

Mac Pro replica (late 2013) - low power design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Te only img appropriate for the epicness of this thread.

263928_170x100.png

These builds are awesome! I wish one of them would do a time-laps of a complete build that would be so cool.

anjrit keren pisan

work great

hadeeee pisaaannnn

Short update of my low power build. I'm almost finished. Building is complete, windows and mac os running and now i just need to pimp my wifi setup to boost the signal by finding the best spot for the antennas. :)

The system is nearly unhearable. Now the fan in the cinema display is the loudest sound source on my desk :thumbup:

The power consumption stay between 18-30 watts during normal operation, with peaks up to around 80 watts during high load like gaming.

Some pictures during the last build steps:
View attachment 86220View attachment 86221View attachment 86222View attachment 86223View attachment 86224View attachment 86225View attachment 86226View attachment 86227View attachment 86228View attachment 86229

Hello

Congrats for that original build.

I'm a very bad handyman... I just could not figure out how is the motherboard fixed to the 2 vertical metal bars ? Did I miss anything in the steps?
It seems it is first fixed on 2 horizontal plastic plates, that are in turn fixed to the metallic bars. Am I right?
From where did you get these plastic plates ?

@HacKDo:

Sorry for my late reply. Your thoughts how i fixed the motherboard to the vertical metal bars are right. First i fixed the motherboard to two small wooden plates and after this i fixed this plates with the metal bars. I have to go this way because the holes for the screws on the motherboard are too far at the outside. If i had placed the metal bars at the same width, they won't fit any more in the bin because they were too close to the edge of the bin. So with the use of this plates i've shortend the distance between the metal bars so they fit in the closed bin. I took some photos to show what i mean.

IMG_0745.jpegIMG_5111.jpegIMG_6615.jpeg

After seeing all of these builds, you've inspired me! My next build is gonna be one of the trashcan builds!

Does anyone know if they make that trashcan in aluminum by chance? Because that would be even cooler!

A big congratulation! I have been there so I know how hard it is to move from wanting to actually doing and finishing! I like the way of reusing an old mac to do this. Also I think that the wooden structure is a good idea, it is much easier to adjust it and it is OK for low power build since the components aren't too heavy + you don´t have to worry about any electric shortcut.

I have my build for quite a long time and I can honestly say that this is the best piece of electronic I have ever had: quiet, reliable, powerful enough, on budget, stylish. Hope you will be happy as well :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back