Contribute
Register

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update - The Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I cannot completely remember which version of 10.6 I was able to do this in, but it was a while ago. I was able to have my BIOS set to CState=Auto and C1E=Enabled. Audio was fine and all was good. Now under 10.6.8 I have crackling when it is auto.

My problem is this: I get hotter temps with C1 for CStates. Right now I using it under CState=Auto and the system is laggy. Typing here I am finding it hard and very slow. I think that having auto elected slows my system down.

ANy Help please?

Specs are here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=27784

Thank you Tony for create and share! :clap:
I'm trying to build my first hackintosh snow leopard system with a DH55HC Intel Motherboard. But I'm having issues with The ethernet Gigabit LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82578DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller. This is working fine after the Leopard install but stop after comboupdate + multibeast. I've tried every network controller on multibeast and the solution explained in the forum without success.

The only way I've found to get the network working is booting with iboot cd then choose macosx. If boot from macosx direct it lose connection with the controller.?

I've look for a DSDT for this MB but there's none.
Have you any ideas how to solve this out?

Thank you in advance for your answer!
Sincerely,
Raul

The force be with you!

i m having a simmilar problem
i have a hp compaq 500B MT trying to get the network working on RTL8103EL but no drivers working using multibeast. Before the 10.6.8 update my internet was working but no longer please help!!

marioroy said:
@lycrake2:

The two Evil* extensions breaks sleep.

Look at this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php ... 34#p161994

Change your device-type in your EFI plist from NVDA,GeForce to NVDA,Parent.

I'm now running 10.6.8 without the 2 Evil* extensions. Sleep works as well.

Whatever you do, do not copy the EFI plist for the GTX 295 card I had posted. The NVCAP entry may not work with your GTX 260. I'm not sure. Basically, just look at the 2nd half. It's important for device_type to be set to NVDA,Parent for the GTX 2xx and possibly GTX 4xx to function without the Evil* extension listed in that post.

My GraphicsEnabler is set to No in my boot.plist file.

Here's a suggestion for folks who currently have a working 10.6.7 and a GTX 2xx card.

1. Look at the device_type entry
2. 10.6.8 requires that to be set to NVDA,Parent versus NVDA,GeForce

Previously, we had this with 10.6.7 and below.

<key>device_type</key>
<string>NVDA,GeForce</string>
<key>name</key>
<string>NVDA,Parent</string>

In 10.6.8, it needs to be the following: (name is not necessary).
This works with both 10.6.7 and 10.6.8

<key>device_type</key>

So, just make that change to your current EFI plist file and update the EFI string in your boot plist file prior to updating to 10.6.8.

Folks running a GTX 295 card (single-PCB edition) will need Nvidia's Quadro 4000 drivers in order for CUDA to work. The reason is that Apple's native Nvidia driver is not able to properly configure one of the GPUs. However, the system will load and OpenGL is fine.

I hope this helps folks out there who are currently running a GTX 2xx card successfully with 10.6.7 or earlier and wanting to update to 10.6.8.

Tip for the GTX 295 single-PCB edition:

A GTX 295 single-PCB edition requires the device-type entry to be set to NVDA,GeForce for the first GPU (0x0,0x0) and NVDA,Parent for the 2nd GPU (0x2,0x0).

A GTX 295 dual-PCB edition (I believe) may need device_type for both GPUs to be set to NVDA,Parent. (I'm not sure... someone with a dual-PCB can verify...)

- meroy

I must be doing something wrong and need yours or someones help!

I had it working on my cloned HD with Sleep and everything, but I erased that before i was going to put it on my main HD, and i cant get it working again!

Here are my steps

- Install 10.6.8
- Run multibeast with FakeSMC Nvidia (I seem to have to put this on to get anywhere...)
- Can then boot using pmVersion=0 but the screen res is 1024 x 768.
- I think i've got my EFI flags all in the plist file- i've also experimented with installing the two Evil* kexts- but still nothing.
- I even saved my old .plist from when it did work, but again, just boots 1024 x 768

Here is my current Plist - (one of many!)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
	<dict>
		<key>@0,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
		<key>@0,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@0,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>
		<key>@1,compatible</key>
		<string>NVDA,NVMac</string>
		<key>@1,device_type</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>@1,name</key>
		<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>
		<key>NVCAP</key>
		<data>
		BAAAAAAAAwAMAAAAAAAABwAAAAA=
		</data>
		<key>NVPM</key>
		<data>
		AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
		</data>
		<key>VRAM,totalsize</key>
		<data>
		AAAAOA==
		</data>
		<key>device_type</key>
		<key>model</key>
		<string>nVidia Geforce GTX 260</string>
		<key>name</key>
		<string>display</string>
		<key>rom-revision</key>
		<string>nVidia Geforce GTX 260 OpenGL Engine [EFI]</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm obviously missing something! Maybe its something to do with having x2 graphics cards? I did have it working though!

Thanks!

dvdflashbacks said:
Wow. I am really glad that I made a bootable clone of my drive today. I just tried to run 10.6.8 combo update prior to attempting the Lion upgrade. Didn't go so well. :banghead:

1. System boots but is running incredibly slow.
2. CPU incorrectly showing as 2.0 Core i7 and not as 2.8ghz (I am not sure if this ever displayed correctly though)
3. Lost audio
4. Lost all network including my wireless

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve some of these? I attempted using my CustomBeast that Tony made for me awhile back and it failed to install. I also attempted to use MultiBeast 3 and was only able to get sound (though it is not reporting the correct sound device) I still couldn't get the network fixed or my wireless back (D-Link 556-extreme wireless).

*** Note to all: Backup, Backup, Backup. After all problems with this attempt, I was up and running my original 10.6.7 installation by simply switching one cable from my backup HDD over to my main HDD! :thumbup:

I had similar issues right after I updated. Eventually I couldn't even boot. The Dsdt edit I quoted on a couple of pages back solved my issues. If you are using a dsdt, advise you make the edit, run the combo update, rerun multi beast (including applehda rollback), update nvidia drivers from website and reboot. Solved all my issues...

Hi.

After updating to 10.6.8 i get a kernel panic to do with voodoo.
I can boot in safe mode, but does someone know a quick solution.

Edit. I removed some voodoo kext and a ati radeonX3000 kext, and all seems fine again…..

Did anyone update using 10.6.8 v1.1 yet?

If so I could really do with the vanilla AppleHDA.kext it installs (To save me removing Lion, installing 10.6.3 > 10.6.8 v1.1 etc). It appears this fixes the loss of Audio in Plex and other apps...

For those who cannot wait for the corresponding Lion v1.1 supplemental update :

Apply Mac OS X 10.6.8 v1.1 Supplemental Update at http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1429 on top of a 10.6.8 system (or reinstall 10.6.8 v1.1)
Make a copy of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
Get info for this copy should show :
2.0.5, Copyright © 2005-2011
Saturday August 1 2009 07:55 <-- same date as version 1.9.9f12 of 10.6.7 !
12 017 080 bytes <--
Install Lion (if not already done)
Use Kext Helper b7 to easy install the copy of AppleHDA.kext 2.0.5 (will replace the Lion original at /System/Library/Extensions/)
In Terminal, type "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" (or reboot)

Optical sound then works again .
Note that the "Mac OS X 10.6.8 Supplemental Update" contains many more files in addition to the updated AppleHDA.kext, but this is probably normal since it corrects multiple problems, not only the optical sound one.

EDIT: I got hold of one now, it didn't have the same info as above but it did come from vanilla install of 10.6.8 v1.1

I am about to test Plex...but I can say straight away it has removed the second or two "lag" in audio being enabled after boot I (And others) had after enabling audio with the layout885.xml and Platforms.xml patch method (Happened in 10.6.8 v1 & Lion).

From 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 - OK!

- Downloaded the Combo Pack Update.
- Downloaded Multibeast 3.8.0
- Updated Bootloader to Chimaera.
- Install 10.6.8 and Restart
- Run Multibeast for the Audio.

Done! :D

hmm, just found out i have no video. I mean cant play a movie.
And the graphics seems sluggish.

I have an Apple branded Ati 5770, with 2 displayports and 1 DVI.

What am i missing here?

Thanks

Edit, i can watch movies in QT now, with a few extensions, but it looks like the frame rate is like 10 fps.
VLC just doesnt work.
And the Graphics is still sluggish.

Another edit. Seems i cant use certain screensavers as well. Definitely graphics related.
Propably a missing kext or something.

:D 10.6.8 update went fine. Ga-p55a-ud3, GTX285Nvidia, ALC888 audio.
Combo Update stopped a fews bar step to go. I reset into safe and verbose mode.
Launched tonybeast 3.8,0 with HDA rollaback and IOPCIFamily.kext patch.

Now attempting to update lnx2mac driver to official realtek's ones.
Next step. lion vanilla

I hope this help our community!
:wave:

my plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>